How-To: Classic Styling Set
Marcel waves, pin curls and flat waves are styling mainstays that you should master. Knowing these timeless techniques can make your styling game even stronger. In this how-to, these three techniques are combined, resulting in a totally classic look.
1. Prep with Oribe Foundation Mist from roots to ends. “Do not straighten or blow-dry as it’s best to work with existing texture,” says Ramona Eschbach, the editorial stylist who created this look. Add Oribe Supershine Light Moisturizing Cream and Oribe Gold Lust Nourishing Hair Oil from midshafts to ends, brush through and rough-dry.
2. Use a Comare comb to blow-dry the hairline in an upward motion.
3. If hair is fine, apply Oribe Impermeable Anti-Humidity Spray to prep for curling. For coarse textures, use a small amount of Oribe Royal Blowout Heat Styling Spray. Section hair into three sections (a classic Mohawk) all the way down on both sides.
4. Using the classic Marcel clicking technique, work from crown to nape to completely curl the middle section. Set each curl with a duck-bill clip. There will be four to six curls, depending on texture. Allow curls to set.
5. Pin-curl the side sections flat to the base. Set each curl with a duck-bill clip. There will be about three curls per side. Allow curls to set.
6. Remove duck-bill clips section by section and use a small Mason Pearson brush to brush each curl down, working from the bottom up.
7. Begin the flat waves portion by sectioning hair into a deep side part. Starting with the low side, determine where the first ridge will be and hold that position with your Comare comb.
8. Working in small sections, insert the curling iron and push upward to desired ridge. Click to get steam, but make sure not to pull on the waves.
9. Release the iron and continue to the next section in an alternate direction. Smooth hair by combing the section over the iron.
10. To add depth to the ridges, set the hair in face-framing waves with duck-bill clips.
11. To finish, lightly apply Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray, push waves in the desired direction and brush the ends for separation.
Ready to learn more? Oribe’s Journey to Mastery program might be for you! In the program, hairdressers get an intense course on the foundations of classic hairdressing—and how they can build on those foundations to achieve any look they can dream. Participants learn from the likes of Oribe Global Ambassador James Pecis and Oribe Artists, including Ramona and Kien Hoang. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for information!