Honey Brown Blend
You know it all too well—a client walks in for the first time, and you take one look at her color and can’t help but wince. Janai Hartt from Ubungalows by Butterfly Loft Salon in Los Angeles, CA, found herself in this exact predicament. She knew that a client with such haphazard, bleachy streaks would definitely need a more precise color application, but what tool should she use? One that helps with precision but doesn’t crush creative possibilities! Janai knew exactly where to turn—the Balayroo, a handheld color applicator that saturates the hair in one sweep, cutting balayage time by 50 percent. With its help, she turned this client’s hair from a streaky mess into a honey success.
Natural/Starting Level: Natural Level 3 regrowth, lightened to a Level 6 with bright blonde highlights
Formula A: Redken Shades Cream 2 oz 07WN + .5 oz 05WB + 10-volume developer
Formula C: Redken Shades EQ 1.5oz. 08N + .5 oz 06WG
Formula D: Redken Shades EQ 1.5 oz 09NB + .5 oz 08WG
1. Apply Formula A to the base and blend out 2-3 inches.
2. Using the Balayroo, apply Formula B in a balayage-like manner throughout the ends to create dimension and flow. Leave the pre-lightened sections out. Use the Balayroo to help manipulate the two colors to achieve the perfect melting effect. Process until lightened to a pale yellow.
3. Rinse color and apply Formula C to the base and blend through to mid shaft.
4. Apply Formula D from midlength through to the ends, blending with Formula C at midlength.
5. Process for 8 minutes at the bowl before rinsing.
6. Use Olaplex #2 for 10 minutes, and then shampoo and style.