Enter the HAH Vidal Sassoon Education Scholarship Competition
By Heather Haemker
Two years ago, Joy LaMay was selected as one of the first winners of the Wella Hairdressers at Heart Vidal Sassoon Professional Beauty Education Scholarship. Since then, her life has truly changed.
Today, she’s working for a Wella focus salon—C The Salon in Studio City, CA—and serving as an ambassador for Hairdressers at Heart. She’s also an educator for the Wella brand and a member of Wella’s Team I.C.A.N. that nurtures and develops young talent. At the 2014 behindthechair Stylist Choice Awards, she stood onstage alongside BTC’s Founder and Creative Director Mary Rector-Gable, who presented her with an unimaginable gift—a special edition poster signed by Vidal Sassoon himself. “Before he died,” Mary revealed, “Vidal asked me to give this to the right person when the time was right. After seeing Joy’s video, celebrating her passion for our industry, I knew she was the right person.”
The video that Joy created to enter the competition went viral—thousands of people inside and outside the industry clicked and watched. The message and passion of the piece were powerful—and Joy was awarded a five-day course at the North American Sassoon Academy of her choice, including travel, lodging and course fees.
Now it could be your turn. Hairdressers at Heart is accepting entries for the next round of scholarships. The deadline is April 13, 2015. There are two ways to enter:
1. Submit a 1 to 3 minute video showcasing your original work of art and your passion for the craft. Show the judges how you’re turning your dreams into reality!
2. Submit a high-res photo collage showcasing a look you’ve created. Include a brief statement explaining your inspiration for the look and your passion for the craft (limit 200 words).
Since she has some experience, Joy offers these tips for a winning entry:
1. Review Your Work. Ask people who are proficient in writing to read your essay and edit your work. Your essay should be comprehensive while clearly showcasing your commitment to the industry.
2. Think outside the box. Have a vision and reach for it. Joy enlisted other creative people in her community, including a filmmaker friend, to help translate her vision into video form. Hint: think about all the clients who walk into your salon each day. Talk to them, let them know what you’re doing. You might be surprised who you’ll meet, and who will be willing to help!
3. Get to the Point. Remember that the judges have to review a lot of entries so zero in on a few concise ideas and stick to them!
Ready to win free education that could change your life? Visit www.hairdressersatheart.com/scholarships!