Color That’s Breaking The Internet: Brights
Has there ever, in all of hair history, been a better time to be a colorist? So many amazing shades at your disposal. So many special effects, so many techniques. And best of all—how about those clients? Never before have the customers sitting in your chair been so enthusiastic about creative colors like daffodil and cotton candy and Kelly green. From eight to 80, they’re open to everything, eagerly swiping through their personal haircolor inspiration collections, pointing to this amethyst shade and that peach and blue color melt, imploring you, “Can we do that on my hair?”
Credit social media for this explosion of color creativity, and because of that, keep a close eye on your feeds. Social media is where trends take hold, which means you have to pay attention. Because when the swiping stops on the latest “It” color technique, you’ll be asked to deliver. Here, we’ve gathered the hottest trends with huge “likes” to bring you up to speed!
By Megan Schipani (@shmeggsandbaconn)
Formula A: Joico Color Intensity Eraser + 20-volume developer
Formula B: Joico Color Intensity Black Pearl
Formula C: Kenra Professional Color Teal
Formula D: Kenra Color Neon Pink
Formula E: Kenra Color Charcoal
Formula F: Kenra Color Neon Yellow
1. Remove existing color with Formula A. Then apply Formula B to the root area.
2. Beginning in the back, work in diagonal sections, alternating Formulas C, D, E and F. Place bold streaks of Formula D and F around the face.
By Mary Cuomo (@cuomocromeans)
Paul Mitchell International Trainer
“With social media quickly connecting consumers to trends, it’s driving clients into the salon, where we educate them that it’s a huge undertaking to create and maintain these colors. So of course they need to put themselves in a professional’s hands,” says Mary.
Paul Mitchell Color Formulas
Formula A (prelighten): Dual Purpose Lightener + 20-volume Cream Developer
Formula B (base): POP XG Green + Teal + Midnight
Formula C: POP XG Green + Teal
Formula D: POP XG Yellow
1. After lifting to a pale yellow using Formula A, create a shadow root with Formula B.
2. Then organically alternate Formulas C and D on all strands keeping the overall result green with pops of yellow.
By Robert Siebert (@aloxxihair)
Aloxxi Director of Education
“Always pre-lighten to pale yellow to ensure maximum intensity. Rinse with tepid to cool water. Experiment with color intensity by adding Clear to your mixtures,” advises Robert.
Aloxxi Color Formulas
Formula A (prelighten): 100g Ultra LIGHTENER + 200g 20-volume developer
Formula B (base): TONES 40g 4N + 40g 5GV + 160g 7-volume developer
Formula C (accent): 90g ULTRA Hot Green
Formula D (accent): 90g ULTRA Blue
Formula E (accent): 90g ULTRA Violet
Formula F (accent): 90g ULTRA Pink
2. Beginning in the fringe, apply accent colors—Formula E framing the fringe with Formulas C and D in the center; in the nape, feather Formula C to Formula E; through the sides, feather Formula E to Formula F and Formula D to Formula C.
3. Apply Formula B to all remaining hair, and process for 20 minutes.