Announcing the Winner of the 2015 PRAVANA “Show Us Your VIVIDS” Contest
Erica Keelen’s Starry Night Inspired colors wowed the judges and earned her the win!
A color combination of vibrant gem tones in emerald, blue and violet paid off for Erica Keelen of Jacksonville, Fla. Out of more than 500 photos submitted in the PRAVANA “Show Us Your VIVIDS” Contest, Erica’s Starry Night hue captured the attention of the judges and earner her the grand prize. “Starry Night has always been one of my favorite pieces of artwork and to bring it to life on a model through hair art was very rewarding,” shares Erica.
This year’s judging panel included PRAVANA Guest Artist and celebrity stylist Danny Moon of Andy Lecompte Salon, Vadre Grigsby, PRAVANA Artistic Color Director and James Gartner, PRAVANA Guest Artist, who voted on contest based on creativity, technique and overall impact. “Perfectly melted colors, strategic placement and a wise model/photographer made this a number one choice for me,” noted James.
Her prize? An editorial photo shoot in Los Angeles and a multi-page feature in a national magazine. “This color combination required different levels of lift to achieve the vibrancy we see here,” noted judge Vadre Grigsby, PRAVANA Artistic Color Director. “The pre-VIVIDS application work on this model, that would typically go unnoticed, was done perfectly. If it weren’t for the precision in the lightening process, the finished color would not have this seamless look.”
Here’s how Erica create her Starry Night blend!
PRAVANA Color Formulas
Formula A: ChromaSilk 10BV + Zero Lift Developer
Formula B (teal): 50g PASTELS Mystical Mint + 25g VIVIDS Green + 25g VIVIDS Clear
Formula C (marina blue): 50g PASTELS Blissful Blue + VIVIDS Blue + 25g VIVIDS Clear
Formula D (daybreak violet): 50g PASTELS Luscious Lavender + 25g VIVIDS Violet + 25g VIVIDS Clear
Formula E (lemongrass): 20g VIVIDS Locked-In Yellow + VIVIDS Clear
1. Shampoo the hair with PRAVANA Pure Light Sulfate-Free Brightening Shampoo and tone the hair with Formula A.
2. Blow-dry the hair completely.
3. Beginning at the nape and back corner sections below the occipital bone, paint Formula B
to the root area 1 1/2 inches down melting it into Formula C through the midshafts and then melting that into Formula D at the ends.
4. Next, the back and side sections below the parietal were colored from one side of the head to the other to ensure a consistent shine line. In each foil the base color of Formula D melted into Formula C then into Formula B to create a shine line of Formula E (lemongrass) which melted into Formula B, Formula C and Formula D at the ends. The length of each color increased as Erica worked higher trough the sections to preserve the consistent transition. This technique with the corresponding color pattern was recreated through the top sides and crown areas.
5. Process the color for 30 minutes then shampoo with VIVIDS Color Protect Shampoo and Conditioner.
6. Blow-dry the hair and style using Silk Degree Shine Serum and Super Shape Hairspray.
Jessica Davis’ placed second with her jelly fish inspired color scheme.
The second place winner in the contest is Jessica Davis of Jacksonville Beach, Fla, who will receive a $1,000 PRAVANA Glam Pak. Third place winner Nicole Pede of Alymer, Ontario, Canada receives a $500 PRAVANA Glam Pack. Honorable mention and a $250 Glam Pack goes to Erica Hardy-Knoop of Corpus Christie, Texas.
Nicole Pede took third with her gemstone-inspired color.
Erica Hardy-Knoop walked away with an Honorable Mention for her mystical, pastel color melt.