9 Stars Who Nailed it at the Golden Globes
It may have been unnaturally cold in the Midwest, but in Hollywood, it was hot, hot, hot! The stars went all out at the Golden Globes with looks ranging from retro glam, sassy and sleek to effortlessly pretty. Lady Gaga even embraced the look of style icon Marilyn Monroe. Here are 9 looks that truly went above and be-yond!
Katy Perry’s Playful Tease
Created by celebrity stylist Franco Gobbi, Katy Perry’s style for the Golden Globes was the perfect blend between 1960’s beach bunny and red carpet chic.
1. Spritz the Schwarzkopf Professional OSiS+ Volume Up on the ends.
2. Use a curling iron for setting the volume.
3. Brush the hair and top with the OSiS+ Sparkler and OSiS+ Elastic Hair Spray, mixed in your hand and then rough it through the hair to create a natural texture.
4. Backcomb the crown of the hair and sprinkle on OSiS+ Dust It to create a solid base for the volume at the back and crown.
5. Lastly, top with the BC Color Freeze Gloss Serum to add shine and separate the texture.
Lady Gaga’s Inner Marilyn
Fashion icon Lady Gaga kept it classic at this year’s Golden Globes with a Marilyn-inspired vintage style that’s sophisticated, glam and always en-vogue—love it! Created by celebrity hairstylist Frederic Aspiras, Gaga’s voluminous bombshell waves stole the globes.
1. Start with clean, towel-dried hair and apply KMS California TAMEFRIZZ smoothing lotion from root to tip. Comb through for even distribution.
2. Next, spray KMS California ADDVOLUME volumizing spray at the roots to create big, voluminous hair.
3. Give a light mist of KMS California FREESHAPE quick blow dry spray to reduce drying time and get a smooth, flyaway free result to your blow-dry.
4. Next, section the hair for blow-drying. Use a medium round brush, drying with an up-and-around movement to get full volume.
5. Using a 1-inch curling iron, take 1-inch sections of hair and curl the hair back and away from the face. Take a velcro roller and set each curl after using the curling iron, using only medium to small sized curlers. Allow rollers to set and cool, and remove after 15 to 20 minutes.
6. To finish, brush the hair our with a sable bristle brush. Use KMS California HAIRPLAY playable texture to spray waves and curls in place but still maintain a soft, bouncy look.
Eva Green’s Tousled Lob
Inspired by Cindy Crawford deep side part from the 90s, celebrity hairstylist Adir Abergel put his own spin on Best Actress nominee Eva Green’s long, modern lob. Adir overdirected the hair and created a deconstructed texture for a more tousled look.
1. Prep hair by applying L’Oréal Professionnel Liss & Pump-Up from roots to ends to create bounce and volume. For texture, apply L’Oréal Professionnel Beach Waves from roots to ends of hair.
2. Next, flip hair upside down and blow-dry using hands for maximum volume. Then with a small round brush, blow-dry sweeping hair into a deep side part making sure to leave maximum volume at the roots.
3. Using a curling iron, create barrel curls then pin them in place to cool. Remove the pins once cool and brush hair into a very loose relaxed wave.
4. Lastly, apply L’Oréal Professionnel Next Day Hair from the roots to midshaft. Then finish and set with L’Oréal Professionnel Infinium 4 Hairspray to make sure the look has perfect hold!
Julia Louis-Dreyfus: Model Off Duty
The idea behind celebrity stylist David Gardner’s styling for Julia Louis-Dreyfus? “Model off duty,” he says. “How a model looks on the street, effortless and gorgeous, usually as they were shooting the day before. We love day-after hair.” Here’s how it’s done!
1. Start off with a clean canvas by using a shampoo specific to the client’s hair type. For Julia, David used the ColorProof Crazy Smooth Anti-Frizz Shampoo. Apply to the root area, massage gently and then let the water rinse it away with minimal rubbing. Those with an oily scalp should skip the massage altogether as it can stimulate the oil glands and weigh down the look. “Julia, like most women, has different types of waves—some curlier, some straighter. This product will even out the texture beautifully and calm any flyaways in advance,” notes David.
2. Next, add a small amount of ColorProof Crazy Smooth Anti-Frizz Conditioner to the midlengths and ends. If you have a full head of bleach, condition all over. “Julia has very healthy hair, only single process, so only using conditioner where it’s necessary helped maintain the volume we wanted to achieve,” shares David.
3. Next, towel-dry the hair gently and apply an egg-sized amount of ColorProof LifIt Color Protect Foam Mousse. Use a wide-tooth comb to apply evenly throughout, and add more where you want the most volume. David gave Julia a little extra on top, not so much on the sides.
4. Gently blow the hair dry on low until it’s damp and cold. Styling should only happen when the hair is taken from damp, to bone dry.
5. Once the hair is almost dry, lay out a medium round brush, a few Velcro rollers, ColorProof TextureCharge Color Protect Texture + Finishing Spray and blow dryer on a non-slip towel. Take the whole front section of the hair (about 2 inches from the front) straight back, and lightly brush through with the round brush. Spray the TextureCharge spray all the way from root to ends and then wrap that section around the brush, getting good tension at the roots up and away from the scalp. Hold tight and pick up the dryer and slowly blow the rolled section on low warm heat. When it gets hot, put the dryer down and brush the hair out.
6. Once the hair is dry and hot, go back through the hair by taking 1-inch sections with a 1-inch curling iron. For Julia’s corkscrew look, leave the ends of the hair out for a youthful looking bend to the shaft. During this part you should also leave in two Velcro rollers on top to really set the volume.
7. Finally, set the hair with a mist of ColorProof HumidityRx Anti-Frizz Weatherproof Spray. Once the hair has cooled, take out the rollers and use the comb to loosen as desired.
Nina Dobrev’s Romantic Upstyle
Romance with a twist! Nina Dobrev’s soft, woven upstyle is equal parts effortless and sophisticated (with a little bit of fun!) Created by Riawna Capri, celebrity stylist and Co-Founder of Nine Zero One Salon, this not-too-perfect, whimsical updo had plenty of intricate twists, knots and braids—here’s how it’s done!
1. Start with dry hair and spray UNITE’s GLOSSING Spray all over to protect it from the use of heat tools. Then, curl the entire head with a 3/4-inch curling iron. Loosen up the curls by running the fingers through the hair and add some texture with UNITE’s TEXTURIZA Spray.
2. Create a pompadour-like lift with the center section of the hair and pin it with two duck bill clips to keep the height in the hair.
3. Next, create an inside out French braid with the hair on each side of the head from the temple down. (It’s more difficult to see braids on brunettes compared to blondes, so an inside-out French braid is perfect for that extra pop!)
4. Tie a rubber band at the bottom of the braid and wrap it under so it almost resembles a snail shell, then pin it into place. Fatten the braid with UNITE’s EXPANDA Dust and gently pull it apart.
5. Grab pieces of the remaining center section of the hair, twist it, knot it and pin it in place. The idea is to create fullness in the hair but with more of a lived-in look, so be sure to leave some ends of the hair sticking out.
6. Lastly, remove the duck bill clips and connect the top part of the hair with the bottom section so the updo looks blended and uniform. The sections should all melt together at this stage. Lock the hair into place with UNITE’s SESSION Max Spray and then use UNITE’s GLOSSING Spray to soften the hair and add shine for the perfect elegant updo.
Caitriona Balfe’s Classic Low Pony
The picture of elegance, Caitriona took to the red carpet looking effortlessly classic in a black gown with a sleek, centered parted pony to match. Celebrity hairstylist and Macadamia Professional International Creative Director, Giannandrea, shares the inside scoop for achieving his sultry silhouette.
1. Apply Macadamia Professional Blow Dry Lotion from midlengths to ends on wet hair.
2. Section a sharp middle part and blow-dry the hair in mid-sized sections with a Macadamia Professional 53mm Hot Curling Boar Brush to create a sleek, straight blowout.
3. Once hair is dry, smooth a quarter-sized amount of Macadamia Professional Nourishing Moisture Oil Treatment from roots to ends.
4. Brush the hair with a Macadamia Professional Boar Bristle Paddle Brush through the length to increase shine and smoothness. Using the brush, direct all hair back to the nape of the neck to form a smooth, low ponytail with the sides also smooth and taut. Tie the ponytail with a hair elastic.
5. Take a 1-inch section of hair from the bottom of the ponytail and wrap it counterclockwise around the ponytail. Secure with bobby-pins and spray with Macadamia Professional Style Lock Strong Hold Hairspray for extra hold.
6. To add shine and hydration, spray Macadamia Professional Weightless Moisture Dry Oil Micro Mist over both sides and down the length of the ponytail. Spray Macadamia Professional Style Lock Strong Hold Hairspray over the completed look to lock the style in place.
Amy Adams’s Modern Waves
Amy Adams looked be-YOND spectacular in her Versace gown that was complemented by a dramatically soft and romantic wavy look created by celeb stylist Laini Reeves. “Amy’s hair is longer now,” shares Laini, “and we decided that the waves and center part would feel more Versace. The dress is so perfect and done that I felt a softer hair look would complement the dress and look absolutely beautiful.”
1. Start with a hydrating shampoo, such as Pai-Shau’s Replenishing Hair Cleanser, and use the Pai-Shau Supreme Revitalizing Mask to deeply hydrate and add volume and shine.
2. Apply Pai-Shau Biphasic Infusion to damp hair to instantly de-frizz and smooth.
3. Before styling, apply new Pai-Shau Royal Abundance Mousse with Pai-Shau’s Signature Exotic Tea Complex to give weightless structure.
4. Blow-dry and use a 2-inch curling iron, twisting strands before wrapping them around for a freer look.
5. To finish, apply new Pai-Shau Sublime Hold Hairspray for a soft, effortless and touchable hold.
Kate Hudson’s Beach-Boho Glam
The perfect addition to Kate Hudson’s split boho dress? A gorgeous, textured A-Line bob created by celebrity stylist David Babaii. “We were joking around and just decided to cut it right before Kate started her makeup!” explains David, “It’s all very Kate Hudson!”
1. Start with damp hair, applying Pai-Shau Biphasic Infusion to quickly prime, de-frizz and nourish the hair without any residue. “I love the way it weightlessly hydrates,” says David.
2. Apply the lightweight Pai-Shau Royal Abundance Mousse for soft body and structure, and blow-dry the hair. David used his ghd Air Hairdryer and Paddle Brush to build in texture and movement.
3. Use a flat iron (David used ghd’s new Platinum White Styler Flat Iron!), taking random sections to shape and define volume. Create a wavy texture by curving the flat ironed hair with your hands.
4. Finish the look with a touch of new Pai-Shau Sublime Hold Hairspray to create flexible hold without any buildup. “We wanted to keep everything looking effortlessly light and natural,” adds David.
Taraji P. Henson’s Sleek and Chic Bob
To complement Taraji’s simple yet elegant dress, MIZANI Global Artistic Director Cesar Ramirez created the perfect playful, sexy and modern style.
1. Start by cleansing the hair with MIZANI True Textures Moisture Replenish Shampoo and MIZANI True Textures Moisture Replenish Conditioner.
2. On damp hair, apply MIZANI Thermastrength Heat Styling Serum for anti-breakage and heat protection. Create a deep side part after blowing straight and dry.
3. Next, use MIZANI Defyne Wax to add a semi-wet texture with separation and movement, and then finish with MIZANI HRM Humidity Resistant Mist for hold and shine.