9 How-Tos From The 2017 Met Gala
The Met Gala is one of the most extravagant nights in fashion. Celebs rock statement-making designer gowns, and stylists give them the hair to match. We’ve got nine how-tos from celebrity stylists that range from wearable topknots to avant-garde headpieces, all donned at “the Oscars of the East Coast.” Check ’em out below!
1. Emma Roberts by Christian Marc
Image courtesy of Kenra Professional
2. Once her hair is dry, massage Kenra Whip Grip Mousse into the roots for added volume.
3. Next, use a 2-inch curling iron to create loose curls that have plenty of movement.
4. Spray Kenra Platinum Dry Texture Spray onto the roots, then use a fine-tooth comb to create a sleek side part.
5. Finish with Kenra Platinum Silkening Mist for an elegant shine.
2. Jessica Chastain by Renato Campora
Instagram via @jessicachastain
1. Apply a dime-sized amount of Moroccanoil® Treatment on damp hair to establish the foundation of the style.
2. Layer Moroccanoil® Volumizing Mousse to build upon the foundation and add volume.
3. Blow-dry using the Moroccanoil® 35 MM Boar Bristle Round Brush to smooth and straighten her strands.
4. Once the hair is dry, use a 1 1/2-inch curling iron to create natural movement and add vibrance and shine.
5. Create a loose braid and tuck in the tail end to create volume, then secure with a bobby pin.
6. Finish the look by spraying some Moroccanoil® Luminous Hairspray Strong for shine and long-lasting hold.
3. Allison Williams by Rebekah Forecast
Image courtesy of Matrix
2. Create a side part and comb Matrix Style Link Skinny Blowout Queen around the hairline creating waves and giving the hair direction.
3. Spray Matrix Style Link Volume Fixer hairspray, then use a ¾-inch curling iron to curl the hair. Pin each piece up, letting them sit for 30 minutes.
4. To create texture, work Matrix Style Link Mineral Grip Definer through the hair and brush so waves slap straight up.
5. Smooth flyaways and ends with Matrix Style Link Over Achiever 3-in-1 cream paste.
6. Tease hair where you want the volume to hold and use minimal pins to hold her hair in place. Then, spray the hair once more with Matrix Style Link Style Fixer finishing hairspray.
7. Lightly spray Matrix Biolage R.A.W. Replenish Oil Mist through the ends to create a beautiful shine.
4. Hailey Baldwin by Florido Basallo
Image courtesy of L’Oréal Professionnel
1. Spread a quarter-sized amount of L’Oréal Professionnel Sleek and Swing through damp hair, then blow-dry the hair straight.
2. Take medium-sized sections of the hair and spray L’Oréal Professionnel Infinium 4 Hairspray, comb and press the hair with a T3 Singlepass Luxe to make the hair straighter.
3. Next, brush the hair into a high ponytail with a small Mason Pearson brush, then apply L’Oréal Professionnel Or Graphic Modeling Gel to the sides and back of the ponytail.
4. Loop and tuck the rest of the hair into a creative topknot, then pin to secure.
5. Tie into a knot of messy perfection and spray with L’Oréal Professionnel Extreme Lacquer Hairspray to finish the look.
5. Zoe Kravitz by Nikki Nelms
Instagram via @zoekravitzomg
1. Prep by applying a quarter-sized amount of amika Heat Defense Serum throughout the hair.
2. Then, use the amika Mighty Mini Styler to create a slight bend in the style.
6. Janelle Monáe by Nikki Nelms
Instagram via @nikkinelms
1. Start by prepping the hair with the amika Immortal Power-Life Fryer.
2. Then, use the amika Mighty Mini Styler to create a sleek effect. Add silver accessories throughout the look to finish the style.
7. Rita Ora by César DeLeön Ramirêz
Instagram via @gabriel_held
2. Then, he cut Indique hair wefts in color 613 from the Hysteria collection into 1-inch pieces and, using the mixture of MIZANI products, glazed each piece on plastic block heads. Allow them to dry and harden for three days.
3. The day of the event, peel each piece off and cut them into angled shapes. Prep her hair by slicking it down with Twist and Coil Jelly and Edge Taming Gel as tight to the head as possible.
4. Use a stocking cap as the first base layer and began gluing hair, piece by piece, to create the shape. Around the hairline, cut a graphic shape to give the look a futuristic, ’20s flapper feeling.
8. Kate Hudson by Peter Gray
Image courtesy of ABBA Salon Haircare
1. Prep with ABBA Thermal Protect Spray, then apply ABBA Volumizing Root Lift Spray on damp hair from the midlengths to the ends. Comb it through with the Cricket Silkomb Rattail Pro-50 to create more texture and volume.
2. Apply a small amount of ABBA Blow Dry Lotion from the midlengths to the ends to create slip, then use the Cricket Copper Clean Paddle brush to smooth hair.
3. Blow-dry using the Centrix Q-Zone Dryer on low heat and a low airflow to create texture and a lived-in look, texturizing with the thumb and forefinger. Apply ABBA Dry Shampoo to set the hair.
4. Next, use the Ultra Smooth Professional Curling Iron to create diagonal curls, then use ABBA Firm Finish Hair Spray as a setting spray.
5. Once the hair is dry, grab the hair from the back and pull it upward into a ponytail using the Amped Up Teasing brush. Secure with an elastic. Then, use an E.V. hair pro human hair weft to add volume and length to the ponytail.
6. Next, hold the Cricket Silkomb Rattail Pro-50 at the center of the ponytail to create the topknot by wrapping hair around the tail comb.
7. Finish the look by spraying talcum powder around the hairline, a generous amount of ABBA Dry Shampoo and ABBA Firm Finish Hair Spray to seal the look.
9. Ruby Rose by Brant Mayfield
Instagram via @rubyrose, rubyrosedaily.y
1. Shampoo and condition the hair using René Furterer Okara Radiance Enhancing Shampoo and Conditioner.
2. Apply a mist of René Furterer Lumicia Iluminating Shine Rise to create natural shine, then rinse with a splash of cold water.
3. Next, spray René Furterer Volumea Volumizing Conditioning Spray-No Rinse on the roots to create extra lift at the base, blow-dry using a medium-sized boar bristle brush.
4. Section by section, overdirect the roots to keep the volume at the base. Repeat on the sides as well. Then, lightly backcomb at the base so her volume lasts all night, and lightly mist René Furterer Vegetal Strong Hold Finishing Hair Spray all over.
5. Take a small amount of René Furterer Modeling Paste and use your fingers to shape the hair into place.
6. Set the look with René Furterer Vegetal Strong Hold Finishing Spray.