8 Hot Looks from the 2017 Oscars
It’s Hollywood’s biggest night and the stars glammed up for the 89th annual Academy Awards. We saw everything from Old Hollywood glamour waves to celebs embracing their natural texture on the red carpet. Want to recreate these Oscar-worthy styles behind the chair? We’ve rounded up eight of the hottest looks and their how-tos—check it out below!
Charlize Theron by Enzo Angileri
1. Starting with damp hair, apply 1-2 pumps of Wella Professionals Oil Reflections Luminous Smoothing Oil to the ends. “Applying the oil to the ends of the hair makes it super silky and able to reflect light,” shares Enzo.
2. Blow-dry hair using a round brush and create a well-defined left part.
3. Separate hair on top of the head into five sections, moving from the front to the back.
4. Create an “Old Hollywood” wave using an oval-shaped curling wand and your fingers. Then brush it out lightly.
5. Next, grab all the hair at the back of the head, pulling the sides tightly for a smooth effect. To achieve more shine and reflection, apply Wella Professionals Oil Reflections Smoothing Oil.
6. Fasten hair into a ponytail. Use a straightener to smooth out strands, curving the hair towards the end.
7. Finish the look by spraying Wella Professionals EIMI Glam Mist all over for shine and smoothness.
Felicity Jones by Cervando Maldonado
1. Start with damp hair. Apply Matrix Style Link Volume Builder and Matrix Style Link Mineral Airy Builder Dry Texture Foam from roots to ends to build volume and texture. Brush through using a T3 Paddle Brush.
2. Lightly spray Matrix Biology R.A.W. Replenish Oil Mist through the ends. Rough-dry hair using the T3 Featherweight Luxe 2i Dryer until mostly dry.
3. Clip the hair up and starting in the back, blow-dry each section with the T3 Anti-Gravity 2.5-inch Barrel Brush.
4. Leaving the bangs out, set the hair with four T3 Volumizing Hot Rollers LUXE—one on each side, the top of the head and the remainder of the back.
5. Apply Matrix Style Link Perfect Volume Fixer Volume Hairspray and allow the rollers to cool.
6. Pull the rollers out and lightly spray Matrix Style Link Texture Builder Finishing Spray from roots to ends. Brush the hair through with the T3 Vent Brush.
7. Pull the hair into a half-up, half-down look by taking the sides of the hair and pulling them up behind the head, securing with a couple of bobby pins.
8. Finish the look with Matrix Style Link Perfect Volume Fixer Volume Hairspray.
Matt Damon by Torsten Witte
1. Shampoo hair with Oribe Signature Shampoo and rinse.
2. Allow hair to air-dry.
3. Emulsify Oribe Rough Luxury Soft Molding Paste in hands and apply throughout to shape.
Karlie Kloss by Giannandrea
1. Start with freshly washed and conditioned hair using L’Oréal Paris Hair Expert Extraordinary Clay Shampoo and Conditioner. “It is important that the last rinse of conditioner is done using cold water to close the cuticle completely, which maintains subsequent volume,” shares Giannandrea.
2. Towel-dry hair and apply L’Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle BOOST IT Inject Volume Mousse from root to tip, combing through.
3. Blow-dry the hair slowly on hot and low settings. Instead of using a brush, use your fingers to maximize volume and prevent from stretching the hair.
4. Use a wide-tooth comb to create a deep side part and section the hair. Prep small sections with L’Oréal Paris Elnett Satin Hairspray.
5. Wrap the hair around the barrel of a 1-inch curling iron using a small twist of the wrist while doing so to avoid any flatness. Work the curling iron all the way around the head from top to bottom.
6. To style the front of the look, use a flat iron to create a bend in line with the rest of the side curls––the flat iron will give the bend a “less round” effect. Then gently brush out all the waves.
7. Apply L’Oréal Paris Hair Expert Extraordinary Clay Dry Shampoo for hold and plumpness. Finish the look with a spritz of L’Oréal Paris Elnett Satin Hairspray for shine.
Sofia Boutella by Renato Campora
2. Blow-dry using a Moroccanoil® 35MM Boar Bristle Round Brush to smooth and straighten hair.
3. Create a side part using the the Moroccanoil® Tail Comb, perfectly framing the face for a chic and modern look.
4. Use a 1.5-inch curling iron to create soft waves and add vibrance to the look.
5. Apply Moroccanoil® Glimmer Shine to give the hair a glossy finish.
6. Complete the look with Moroccanoil® Luminous Hairspray Strong.
Inspiration: Hailee Steinfeld
1. Section the hair into three sections from top to bottom. Starting with the bottom section, prep hair with CHI Spray Wax and create a smooth ponytail. Repeat on middle section.
2. Spray both ponytails with CHI Texturizing Spray to create fullness and hold.
3. Apply CHI Enviro 54 Hairspray to smooth out both ponytails and cover them with a small hair net.
4. Smooth the top section back over the ponytails to create volume in the front. Secure with a pin at the top of the ponytail, pulling the hair from the top section into the net.
5. Take the top ponytail and twist upward, moving counterclockwise into a small, twisted bun. Repeat on the bottom ponytail.
6. Finish the look with CHI Infra Texture and CHI Shine Spray.
Salma Hayek by Robert Vetica
1. Starting with damp hair, blow-dry using Olivia Garden’s NanoThermic Ceramic + Ion Thermal Round Brush to create dramatic shine.
2. Once dry, use the Olivia Garden Style-Up Teasing Brush to section the hair into four parts—two sections on top and two in the back closer to to the nape of her neck.
3. Then on each side, take two sections along the front hairline and make two small braids. Tie them underneath the top at the crown, securing with a black elastic. Use the Olivia Garden Style-Up Teasing Brush on the top section of the hair to tease at the root to create natural-looking volume.
4. To add a gorgeous twist to the look, weave a jeweled bracelet into the hair. “I transformed a Fred Leighton diamond bracelet into a hairband using fishing wire to adjust into a headband,” shares Robert. After placing the bracelet, tie behind the neck and pin to secure.
5. Finish by lightly brushing through the rest of the hair to soften the waves with the Olivia Garden iStyle Brush for Medium Hair to add shine and a silky finish that has movement.
Halle Berry by Castillo
1. Start with freshly washed and conditioned hair using MOP Mixed Greens Shampoo and Conditioner.
2. Apply MOP Lemongrass Whip on damp hair to the roots for lift and added volume. Then apply MOP C-System C-Curl Defining Cream to the midshaft through the ends.
3. Next, diffuse curls by section using the Featherweight Luxe 2i Hair Dryer and the T3 SoftTouch 2 Diffuser.
4. Create different sized curls with the T3 Whirl Trio Interchangeable Curling Wand and seal the look with MOP C-System Firm Hairspray.