Toning: 5 Tips & Tricks Using Purple Shampoo
Every colorist has heard the dreaded words, “I still see yellow!” a few too many times. That’s why we’re breaking down FIVE toning cheats with purple shampoo that will help you remove unwanted yellow tones, neutralize your color canvases and keep blondes cool literally. Keep scrollin’ for tips and tricks. No toner required, just purple shampoo!
1. Need A Clean Canvas? Try This Pre-Toning Trick!
Why pre-tone? After lightening, this fast step removes underlying pigments from the hair to achieve a neutral, clean canvas that will give clients a more seamless fading process.
Apply Schwarzkopf Professional GOODBYE YELLOW™ and process for only 5 minutes before toning for FAST and CONSISTENT blondes. Its 4.5 pH formulation helps color pigments deposit quickly to neutralize unwanted yellow undertones and achieve longer-lasting cool tones.
Watch @hairbykenzie.t’s Video Below To See How It’s Done 👀
2. Money Piece Toner Quickie
Here’s a no-toner cheat for chunky face-framing highlights off a dark base—one of 2020’s biggest hair trends. After lightening the money piece, isolate the hairline section and apply GOODBYE YELLOW™ to the blonde pieces for 10 minutes, then condition.
Pro Tip: Extend the processing time past the typical 5 minutes to achieve an even stronger pigment on yellow, prelightened hair.
Watch The IGTV Below To Check Out The Transformation
Check Out The Finished Look Below!
3. Pre-Toning Tip For Ashy Brunettes
You lift a brunette client to Level 8, but there’s tons of warmth when you go to rinse at the shampoo bowl—this is not uncommon! This is when pre-toning with a heavily pigmented shampoo is a MUST to remove underlying yellow pigments and neutralize the canvas before toning to achieve that ashy, beige brunette blend.
Watch The Complete Breakdown From @balaybecca Below
4. Here’s A Trick For Toning Blonde Extensions
Whether you’re pre-toning for fashion colors or have clients who want ashy tones, here’s how you can prep your extensions before color services. At the sink, dip extensions in water first and apply GOODBYE YELLOW™ on the wet extensions. Rinse with water and check for splotchiness.
Need A Visual? Check Out The Video Below!
5. Purple Shampoo Add-On Service Ideas
Here are a few ways to use purple shampoo in the salon and at home:
- Add-On Service: Here’s a color refresh service you can add on to any appointment for blonde clients. Cleanse and brighten balayage and blondes at the shampoo bowl before haircuts or between color appointments.
Check Out The Before & After Below!
- Gray Coverage: Want to make your gray clients’ color last longer? Process for 10 minutes—the additional five minutes will keep their gray cool for more washes.
- Cool Blonde Maintenance: Sick of hearing clients complain of excessive warmth after a few shampoos? Have them swap out their drugstore products with toning shampoos, and recommends that they use GOODBYE YELLOW™ 1 to 2 times a week at home to prolong their color between appointments.
STILL SEEING YELLOW?! Nope! Check out @adina_pignatare’s post to see the impact after one application.