5 Standout Styling How-Tos from the 2016 Oscars
The biggest night in Hollywood has finally come and gone, and here’s what you need to know. “Mad Max: Fury Road” led the night with six awards (including Best Makeup and Hairstyling), “Spotlight” came from behind to take home Best Picture and Leo finally got his Best Actor Oscar. (Oh, you already knew that?)
But when all is said and done, the real trophies go to these celeb stylists, who went above and beyond to make sure their stars walked the red carpet in style.
Hair by Wella Professionals Stylist Robert Vetica
Best Actress Nominee Cate Blanchett’s simple, elegant waves were inspired by the iconic photographer Lillian Bassman, whose photographs exude innovation and elegance with cutting-edge fashion. “She was different and original, just like Cate,” shares Robert.
Even more original is that Robert says Cate let him cut her hair the day of the awards show! “This is one of the reasons I love this woman so much! I mean, who cuts their hair the day of? She is bold and makes her regal presence known,” says Robert.
To give Cate her fresh, new cut, Robert used Olivia Garden Cara Shears to create her jaw-length layered bob. He took her hair up from the collarbone and added soft layers throughout. The styling came next, which also mimicked the carefree nature of the look.
1. Start with freshly washed and conditioned hair using Wella Professionals Elements Renewing Shampoo and Daily Renewing Conditioner which helps hydrate, nourish and strengthen hair.
2. Apply Wella Professionals EIMI Perfect Setting Blowdry Lotion to add strength and hold, and brush from root to tip with Olivia Garden Divine Wet Detangler to distribute the product evenly through the hair and brush out any tangles.
3. Use the Olivia Garden ECOCeramic Thermal Firm Round Brush to create a sleek blow dry with an emphasis on a low side part.
4. Next, section the hair into two parts and apply Wella Professionals EIMI Thermal Image to create volume and natural movement.
5. Curl each section with a 1-inch curling iron, just to give the hair bend.
6. Quickly, set each section with the same size Olivia Garden Jet Set Curlers at a diagonal angle away from the face and spray with Wella Professionals EIMI Stay Essential Finishing Spray.
7. Allow the rollers to stay in 45 minutes, then remove and gently brush through the curls using the Olivia Garden FingerBrush Vented Hair Brush. Use the blow-dryer to help loosen the set.
8. Finish the look with Wella Professionals EIMI Stay Essential Finishing Spray to ensure the final results last.
Hair By Celebrity Stylist Frederic Aspiras
Frederic and Gaga (nominated for her song “Til It Happens to You,” from the film “The Hunting Ground”) landed on a timeless and elegant look for her red carpet romp. Here’s how Frederic created her perfectly structured, voluminous curls.
1. To start, shampoo using Pai-Shau Replenishing Hair Cleanser, and rinse thoroughly. Frederic then blow-dried the hair using his ghd air™ hairdryer and a boar bristle round brush, making the hair voluminous and smooth.
2. Apply Pai-Shau Replenishing Cream Conditioner on the mid shaft to the ends. For medium to coarse hair types, Frederic suggests using Pai-Shau Hydrating Ritual Supreme Revitalizing Mask.
3. Apply Pai-Shau Biphasic Infusion to towel-blotted hair. Make sure to first shake the bottle to activate the product. Then apply Pai-Shau Royal Abundance Mousse from the roots to the ends.
4. Blow-dry the hair with a boar bristle round brush, making sure that the hair is voluminous and smooth.
5. Beginning at the front of the hairline, apply Pai-Shau Royal Abundance Mousse to the first section of hair and curl the hair using the ghd curve Classic Curl Iron 1” at the front of the hairline and the ghd Curve Soft Curl Iron 1.25” from the crown down to the nape.
6. After curling each piece, hold the curl in your hand and apply Pai-Shau Royal Abundance Mousse to it, then pin the curl in place.
7. Once all of the hair is pin curled, sit client under a dryer hood for 15 minutes, then let the hair cool for another 5 minutes.
8. Remove all pins and brush out the hair with a Mason Pearson Brush. Then sculpt with Pai-Shau Style Soufflé a wide-tooth comb.
9. Once you have achieved your desired look, apply a small amount of Pai-Shau Biphasic Infusion to the ends for added smoothness.
10. Finish with Pai-Shau Imperial Hold Hairspray.
Hair By Celebrity Stylist Robert Vetica for Olivia Garden
The “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” star looked fab in her 1920s, flapper-inspired Chanel Couture dress, and Robert played off of this vibe with a structural, architectural updo that was “high end and still fresh.” “Can I say that it’s badass?” says Robert. “That’s how I feel about it!”
1. Start by prepping hair with a heat protectant and a bit of volumizer from roots to ends, and brush through with Olivia Garden’s Healthy Hair Eco-Friendly Ionic Vented Paddle Brush.
2. Next, flip the client’s head over and blast the roots with a blow-dryer to give extra volume to anchor the updo. Once the roots are mostly dry, begin a typical blowout by sectioning off her hair and going over it with Olivia Garden’s Ceramic + Ion Thermal Round Brush. It’s important when creating a more structural style to use ceramic-based tools that add extra heat to the hair and help mold and shape the style.
3. Once the hair is fully dry, add a styling cream from the ears down.
4. Clip the very top section of hair at the crown away before molding and shaping the bottom half.
5. Brush the rest of the hair with an Olivia Garden Style-Up Teasing Brush into a top knot right at the base of the crown, where the first top section is. Robert says he used plenty of hairspray to give the top knot a clean, tight look.
6. Once complete, take the remaining hair that was sectioned off in the beginning, and backcomb it with an Olivia Garden Style-Up Teasing Brush at the root to give the perfect shape at the crown.
7. Secure this section into the top knot with pins. Robert then wrapped a 22-inch hair piece (he prepped the piece beforehand with an oil to smooth out the hair and brushed the product through) around the top knot and secured with pins.
8. Finish by working a styling cream into the long ponytail to smooth the hair and add shine. Then section the long ponytail off into two, and twist each section down the length of the pony. “At certain points, I used a clear elastic to secure the twist,” says Robert.
9. Pin the hair down at other points to finish the sculpted look.
Hair By Celebrity Stylist Christian Wood
The “Game of Thrones” actress turned heads on the red carpet with soft, retro waves and a gorgeous red color that paired perfectly with her pearly gray gown. Christian used Kenra Professional to get the look just right.
1. Apply Kenra Volume Mousse 12 to damp hair and blow-dry the hair section by section to create dimension and an overall smooth texture. Using a tail comb, part hair to the side and tuck it behind her ear.
2. Starting at the nape of the neck, separate the hair into medium-size sections and wrap them around a ¾-inch curling iron in the same motion and direction until reaching the crown of the head.
3. Set the look using Kenra Volume Spray 25. Next, spray Kenra Shine Spray throughout the hair, sweeping it all to one side.
4. Using a bristled paddle brush, brush out the curls, creating loose waves. Then apply Kenra Volume Spray 25 to finger tips and gently distribute throughout the hair, smoothing away any flyaways.
5. Finish by lightly misting the limited edition volume spray over the complete look for additional hold and long-lasting results.
Hair by Celebrity Stylist Bok-Hee
We were all about Olivia’s chic, knotted chignon with a strong middle part. Here’s how Bok-Hee created the look.
1. Start by lightly applying Goldwell Kerasilk Reconstruct Regenerating Blow-Dry Spray from midlengths to ends, sealing each cuticle.
2. Next, apply Goldwell StyleSign Double Boost 4 Root Lift Spray to the roots, followed by Goldwell StyleSign Top Whip 4 Ultra Strong Volume Mousse to the rest of the hair to create texture. Then, finger dry the hair around the entire head with a diffuser.
3. Spray Goldwell StyleSign Big Finish 4 Volume Hairspray from roots to ends and tie hair into a low ponytail, then pin hair up into an easy knot.
4. Finish with Goldwell StyleSign Big Finish 4 Volume Hairspray.