4 Gorgeous Golden Globe Upstyles
It’s known as Hollywood’s biggest party, and the Golden Globes also provide plenty of inspiration for what are bound to be some of the biggest hair looks of the season. This year brought us Katie Holmes’ perfectly-sleek side ponytail, Kate Beckinsale’s head-turning updo and Chrissy Teigen’s playful, textured pony. So which styles had us wanting to give out our own gold statuettes? We break down how to recreate some of our favorite upstyles of the night.
Chrissy Teigen’s “Best Dressed” Ponytail
Before her “cry face” went viral, model Chrissy Teigen rocked the red carpet with husband John Legend in a blush pink, long sleeve beaded sheath gown. Her textured, elegant and very modern ponytail styled by Giannandrea, International Director of Macadamia Professional, paired perfectly with her outfit. Giannandrea shares how he created this playful pony.
1. Apply Macadamia Professional Foaming Volumizer all over clean, wet hair before blow-drying the whole head with a large round brush to create ample volume from roots to length.
2. Use a 1-inch curling iron to curl the hair in waves all the way to the ends.
3. Once the waves are complete, emulsify about a quarter-size amount of Macadamia Professional Whipped Detailing Cream in hands and run them through the hair to loosen up the curls and add support. Use your fingers to create supple separation, dimension and texture throughout.
4. Tilt the head back and gather all the hair into a high ponytail, slightly below the crown. Secure with an elastic band and take a small section of hair from the ponytail and wrap it around the elastic to cover it.
5. To keep the pony playful, use fingers to open up the hair to make it wide, textured and add volume. Leave some flyaways on the sides for an effortless look.
TIP: Don’t pull hair back too tightly around the face; it should have a soft volume and separation with definite texture.
7. To set the style, spray with Macadamia Professional Control Working Spray to protect against humidity.
Katie Holmes’ Mod Low Pony
Stylist DJ Quintero for Alterna Haircare wanted to create a modern, clean look to accompany Katie Holmes’ strapless, eggplant-colored Marchesa dress. Katie, who usually opts for a bouncy blowout, wasn’t wearing any jewelry, so DJ created a deep-parted, low ponytail to complement her striking features and elegant, bare neckline.
1. Wash and condition hair with Alterna Haircare Caviar Replenishing Moisture Shampoo & Conditioner.
2. On damp hair, mix a small amount of Alterna Haircare Caviar Seasilk Oil Gel with Alterna Haircare Caviar Anti-Aging Omega (+) Nourishing Oil and brush it through with a Mason Pearson brush.
3. Using a large round brush, blow-dry hair on high heat and part it far to the side.
4. Prep dry hair with Alterna Haircare Caviar Perfect Iron Spray and then flat iron from root to tip to create a super smooth look.
5. Gather the parted hair low at the nape of the neck, and secure it using a hair bungee. Wrap several small pieces of hair around the bungee to hide it, and secure those strands with bobby pins.
6. Finish by spraying a supple amount of Alterna Haircare Caviar Perfect Texture Finishing Spray to the top of the head, and apply a dime-size amount of Alterna Haircare Bamboo Smooth Kendi Dry Oil Micromist to her ends.
Joanne Froggatt’s Milkmaid Braid
When Best Supporting Actress Winner Joanne Froggatt mentioned she wanted to wear her hair down in textured waves, UNITE Stylist Ashley Streicher wasn’t having it. “As much as I love some textured waves, I thought that it was way too special of a night for Joanne to have ‘boring’ hair,” Ashley says. So to complement her navy blue, strapless Marchesa gown and stunning earrings, Ashley landed on a fresh, more modern braided look. “I decided a crown because…well, why not!? She’s nominated!” Here’s how she created this fresh take on the milkmaid braid.
1. Spray damp hair with UNITE 7Seconds Condition before rough-drying.
2. Mid way through the blowout, comb through UNITE Blow & Set from midlengths to ends before drying completely.
3. Once dry, apply UNITE Expanda Dust to root area to create texture and hold before lightly backcombing.
4. Create a loose center parting before creating a French braid starting from the temple to the center and repeating on the other side.
5. Rubber band both braids and dust the braids with Expanda Dust before gently pulling the braids apart to create lived in texture.
6. Smooth any small, unwanted pieces with a little bit of UNITE SECOND Day.
7. Finish with UNITE Session Max Spray for a firm hold.
Kate Beckinsale’s Sexy Statuesque Upstyle
Styled by celebrity stylist Creighton Bowman of Tracey Mattingly, this head-turning sexy updo was a definite win for actress and presenter Kate Beckinsale. “Our inspiration for the evening came from Kate’s stunning Elie Saab gown and the idea of adding length to her silhouette by adding height to her hair,” says Creighton, who used René Furterer products to achieve the look. Here’s how Creighton styled Kate for her dazzling moment in the spotlight.
1. On towel-dried hair, apply René Furterer VOLUMEA Volumizing Foam at the roots and René Furterer FIORAVANTI Shine Enhancing No-Rinse Detangling Spray on the ends.
2. Blow-out the hair using a medium-sized round brush.
3. Curl the hair with a 1 ¼-inch curling iron and then set the hair into 1-inch sections.
4. Brush out the curls and spray René Furterer NATURIA Dry Shampoo all over for added texture and thickness.
5. To begin the updo, pull all of the hair to the top of the crown and secure it with an elastic.
6. Once the ponytail is secure, wrap all of the hair around the ponytail base in a forward motion and secure it with pins in the front of the ponytail.
7. Finally, use René Furterer Vegetal Finishing Spray to hold the look in place and to smooth any flyaways.
Emily Mortimer’s Modern Updo
Jessica Simpson’s Old Hollywood Waves
Paris Jackson’s Slicked-Back Style
Sharon Stone’s Tousled Pixie
WAVES: 5 Holiday Styles Inspired By Hollywood
These 13 Celeb Wet Looks Are Giving Us Life
How To Cut Bangs She Won’t Regret With A Razor
Bold & Controlled Waves from Macadamia Professional
Emmy Rossum’s “Shamelessly” Sexy Blowout
Chrissy Teigen’s ’70s-Inspired Waves
Jessica Biel’s Minimalist ‘Do
Jessica Biel’s Urban Boho Chic Style
BTC EXCLUSIVE: Giannandrea’s Waves, Two Ways!
The Top 10 Cutting and Styling Tips We Discovered In Orlando
Christina Aguilera’s Asian-Inspired Top Knot
THE Bombshell Blowout
Giannandrea’s Got a Date with Emmy!
Bold and Controlled Waves from Macadamia Professional
Chrissy Teigen Makes Waves
Second Day Texture: The 5 Hottest Looks
Chrissy Teigen’s Angelic Waves
How-To: Make Your Blowouts Last
Emmy Rossum’s “Shamelessly” Sexy Blowout
Natalie Dormer’s Retro Hollywood Waves