3 Standout Styles from New York Bridal Fashion Week
The biggest story out of 2016 New York Bridal Fashion Week may have been the racy, sheer gown trend seen in shows like THEIA and Houghton, but BFW also brought some pretty knockout hairstyles to the runways. So if you’re looking for some inspiration for the upcoming winter bridal season, we’ve got you covered. Here are three of our favorite looks.
The Show: Naeem Khan
Lead Stylist: Joseph DiMaggio, Master Session Ambassador for Davines North America
Naeem Khan’s 2016 show was inspired by an “upscale Spanish lady of the house” hosting an elegant dinner party outside in her flower garden. “I wanted to keep the look super polished yet elegant to complement the flawless gowns, and add to the Spanish flair,” says Joseph. “The zigzag parting in the back gave a point of interest, which elevated the overall look and paired perfectly with earrings atop the braids. Everything came together effortlessly for an absolutely stunning final look.”
Get the Look
1. Create a strong center part and flat iron the hair back behind the ear.
2. Starting at the crown, create an even, zigzag parting from the hairline to the nape of the neck. Clip one side off with a clip.
3. Saturate the hair with Davines This Is A Medium Hold Hair Spray from roots to mid shaft. Use a fine-toothed comb to flatten and smooth the roots back behind the ear.
4. Starting with the side of the hair that is not clipped, create three even sections behind the ear to begin your 3-strand braid.
**TIP: Beginning with the middle strand, use your thumbs to press and flatten as you go to ensure a super sleek, flat braid.
5. Unclip the other side of the hair, and repeat step four.
6. Apply Davines This Is A Strong Hold Cream Gel to the ends of the hair and secure the ends with an elastic.
7. Finish the look with Davines This Is A Shimmering Mist (Optional: Place floral headpiece at the front of the crown to finalize the look).
The Show: Galia Lahav
Lead Stylist: Josie Sanchez, Master Stylist at Dop Dop Salon
This season, Galia Lahav unveiled two collections, one inspired by romance and one described as “medieval princess” with intricate headpieces. To complement both looks, Josie created a soft, feminine, fishtail chignon that’s unique and sophisticated at the same time.
Get the Look
1. Spray hair liberally with L’Oréal Professionnel Tecni.Art Densité.
2. Dry the product into the hair using a blow-dryer and fingers to keep natural texture.
3. Create a center part.
4. Take large sections of hair and spray with L’Oréal Professionnel Tecni.Art Infinium 3, then use a curling wand starting at the mid-lengths to create loose waves.
5. Rake hands through waves to loosen/roughen up.
6. Create three sections, one in the back and one on either side of the head, clip back the front sections.
7. With the remaining hair in the back of the head, pull back softly into a ponytail and secure with an elastic.
8. Create a fishtail braid, then secure with an elastic. Pull braid apart from sides to create texture.
9. Flip fishtail braid upward and roll into a soft low chignon and secure with pins.
10. Release clips from front sections and gently pull back the hair and pin into the chignon.
11. Finish by pulling out some pieces at the crown to create softness.
The Show: Jenny Packham
Lead Stylist: Christopher Brian from Christopher Brian Salon for UNITE Hair
The inspiration for Jenny Packham’s show was an extension of the Midsummer Night’s Dream theme from collections past. So Christopher decided on a low, heavily textured ponytail. “It was sort of rough, but soft at the same time” says Christopher. “I had this idea of how Titania might have looked after falling asleep in the forest in Shakespeare’s play.” The hair also emphasized the accessories in the collection. Two of the looks included embellished headbands. “Jenny asked that they be nestled in the hair with little bits of the hair sweeping over them,” notes Christopher. “The third look had two small combs that also nestled into the texture.”
Get the Look
1. Prep hair with UNITE 7SECONDS Condition Leave in Detangler.
2. Rough-dry UNITE BOOSTA Spray into the roots for lift and direction.
3. Douse the hair in UNITE EXPANDA Dust and gather into a low ponytail.
4. Backcomb the ponytail to add an airy texture.
5. Detail using UNITE TEXTURIZA Spray.