Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > question about booking times
Posted By:
Posted By:prunepie on: 11/1/2007 8:59:39 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: question about booking times
prunepie

question about booking times
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2007 8:59:40 PM
hi..new here. just curious. in a medium priced salon.. what how much time are you alloted for a cut and style?
in a perfect world.. i would like 45 minutes to an hour... to allow for shampoo and for people who run a few minutes behind..besides the length of time it takes me to blow long hair and fine tune my cuts ( i am a perfectionist lol)
in my salon i am only allowed 30 minutes.

i can usually do this okay...but when my clients with very long thick hair come in i can easily run 20 minutes behind which as you know just builds up and stresses out everyone.

am i just way too slow?
i dont feel i am. i like to look at my clients hair before it is shampooed to asses how it is looking then send them to be cleasned. by the time they sit in my chair i then only have 20 minutes to cut and blow...no matter the length of hair.

almost none of the stylists in the salon assess or consult before shampoos to save time, but i find it helps me and also makes the client feel better.

any thoughts or feedback ?
thank you!

hues4you
Platinum Member

prunepie
Posted: Friday, November 02, 2007 7:47:08 AM
Dear

prunepie

Welcome to the BTC Talk Back Boards!  Please take a few moments to read over the board rules in the green box above.  If you are blowing the hair out straight and or flat ironing it - it is going to take longer and I would charge extra fees for these services and book extra time.

Cindy Farr Hester  Asst Moderator

prunepie

Posted: Saturday, November 03, 2007 6:09:44 PM
thank you for responding.
i suppose my next question would be on proper ettiquette then.
our receptionists often dont ask if the client has long/thick hair... so we/i are never given more than 30 minutes.
so lets say a client comes in and i just KNOW, due to length, thickness etc, that i will now be running at least 20- 30 minutes late all day... ...how can i deal with this? i cant make this client suffer by not doing a good and thorough job. some co-workers ( whose work i dont realllly admire, just say to blow it as quick as possible and dont worry about making it so beautiful... i on the other hand... believe that once blown... that its show time...time to fine tune and personalize the cut)
also we are not allowed to charge extra for long haircuts/blows in this salon. in fact in a person is a student even if they are 25 and have long hair, its actually cheaper.( and most "students " these days in my area have the long thick hair")
the only time we can charge extra is for a flat iron.

i also have 4 bosses who dont agree on anything, so going to "management" doesnt help haha!

of course some respones will be to just leave and find a better salon, but this is the one area that i find i cannot find a solution to and seems to affect my schedule and clients bookings very easily.
any suggestions?? thank you!!

ps. i truly can be efficient...but its reallllly stressing me out lately running so "late" and most of my under 40 clientele seems to have at least shoulder but most bra strap and below length hair that needs alot of tlc.
thanks again for reading!!

mden

Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2007 7:25:28 PM

Hey prunepie!

This is what I do, because I used run into the same situation as you; I #1, tell my co workers to just automatically book me off 45 mins, which is usually what I need. Long thick hair, i book an hour. If you need less time, you can always book less if you know who it is that is coming in to see you.  However, we must remember, this is a great opportunity to pre-book you clients to reassure that next time that they come in, that you can have more time with them and fully preferm to your best ability.

Also, i think its rediculous that you cant charge more for long hair. My rule of thumb is, my start price for wash cut and blow dry is $33.00.  If my service is taking me much longer....like an hour, due to long thick hair, its $43.00...and as soon as my client wants it flat ironed that is technically a set, therefor i  charge an extra $10.00, but also make this known to your client that its an extra charge, because remember, its the price with wash cut and BLOWDRY.   Because really.....what should someone wuth a pixie cut, where it takes me 30 mins...pay the same amount as someone with long thick hair who takes an hour? Your salon is selling you short if you arent able to charge more for things like that.

Also, IF you are running behind, what you can do is, for your next cleint waiting, maybe one of your coworkers would be kind enough if they are not busy to wash their hair, and give them a great scalp massage, and perhaps a complimentary deep conditioning treatment, pop them under the steamer or dryer until you are ready. and they will altogether forget that you're running behind, they're getting pampered!

Hope that helps!

prunepie

Posted: Wednesday, November 07, 2007 8:30:27 PM
dear mden...
thank you so much for replying!!!!

i soooo agree that the salon is ridiculous for not allowing us to charge depending on length of hair.

once in a while if my client prebooks or i specifically tell her when she calls to specify an hour appt for a haircut.... it can work. but in general... i literally am not ALLOWED to book more than 30.
i do what you suggest... ie... free deep conditioning treatment while they wait...but alas... i still run late all day long.

when i do flat iron...i of course tell them in advance that it is for example 10 dollars extra.
i wish i could book 45 min hc appts.
since i pretty much take that amount of time anyway.

may i ask...how much time do you book off for just a wash and blow out? just curious? thank you!!!!!

xxoxo prunepie

mden

Posted: Friday, November 09, 2007 12:23:13 AM

I usually just book about half an hour for a wash and blow dry, it really depends on the length of hair....i mean, i have a few short haired ladies who come once or twice a week, and i can have them wash, blow dried and curled in about 20 mins.

If i start using any heat tools, i book about 45 for long hair...but most of the time i still only take about half an hour.

prunepie

Posted: Friday, November 09, 2007 4:14:31 PM
mden... yups that is the same for me.

my salon books 30 minutes for wash and blow... but also still just 30 for a wash and cut and blow.
i have talked to the owners soooo many times about this but it falls on deaf ears. oh well. i will try my best. thank you for helping me not feel like i am such a sloooow poke!!!
xoxxo

brandon_hair

Time Crunch
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2007 11:43:15 AM

This may be the annoying way to deal with this, (I take forever for everything in the salon), just keep doing it the way you feel like doing it. I firmly think that time should not be a factor in your work. Your clients come back to you because they enjoy your work. The impatient clients wont come back. Make your salon work around you. This may sound pretentious, but...oh well.

Own it!