Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > ? Cutting Issue
Posted By:
Posted By:atn on: 10/19/2007 2:56:06 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: ? Cutting Issue
atn

? Cutting Issue
Posted: Friday, October 19, 2007 2:56:06 PM
I'm having a problem with cutting bobs.  The right half of the hair always cups in correctly after blow drying, but the left half always flips out from the nape area thru the ear area.  At first I thought it was just the way the client's hair grow, but it seems to be this way on every client I cut with that hair style.  Does anyone have this problem?  Does it have to do with my shears in need of sharpening? 

russnyc
Platinum Member

Angles
Posted: Saturday, October 20, 2007 4:28:03 AM
This could be for a couple of reasons,

1. Don't take horizontal section in the back, try using an upside down "V" section instead. Carefully watch to make sure you aren't pushing the hair into the neckline but straight down. You will leave length if you do and cut differently from one side compared to the other because you can't angle the same way on both sides.

2. Do what I do to get the side angles right, pick a part of the face to angle the bob towards on both sides, the bottom of lip, chin, etc. if you can.

hues4you
Platinum Member

atn
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2007 3:54:37 PM
Dear

atn

Welcome to the BTC Talk Back Boards!  Please take a few moments to read over the board rules in the green box above.  Nice to have you with us.

Cindy Farr Hester  Asst Moderator

HairWizardZ24

perfect cut need the Sassoon touch!
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2007 7:25:54 PM
to do a perfect bob (or any cut) I SERIOUSLY recomend vidal sassoon training. They have a great video set available in the btc bookstore kinda pricey but well worth it!
if you are able to attend a vidal sassoon basics at one of the academies you will fall in love forever.

brandon_hair

BOB
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2007 11:47:17 AM
The Vidal (ABC'S of Cutting) dvd is fantastic. Also, the direction that you cut can have a huge affect. Trying standing in front of your sections on the problem side. Basicly, hit each side exactly the same.

bls27male

Doing an angled bob
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2007 3:34:21 PM
You probably are not turning the chair when going to the sides. If you are stretching you body, it'll make the bob uneven.

Jack the Clipper

Dear atn,
Posted: Wednesday, December 26, 2007 3:33:21 PM

this is not uncommon. Wether you are right- or left-handed, you will usually find that one side of the clients head seems easier to get right. From your problem, I guess that you are right-handed.

The important things when cutting a graduated bob is to keep a close eye on the projection and the distribution of the hair. This will be easier if you do the upside down V parting suggested here above, and then alternate between the left and right side as you work yourself upwards. In other words, don't make the entire right side first before you turn to the left side. Also, moving along so you are constantly in the same angle to your work is crucial. If you prefer to move the chair or yourself is up to you, I never move the chair when cutting a bob.

I hope you may find this link useful:

http://us.wella.com/education/training_online/classic_techniques/cutting_techniques/graduation/graduate_bob/index.jsp

Good luck!

(PS to Cindy, I hope I have not violated any rules by posting the link. It has been a while since I last wrote anything on the boards, so I must do a check up on the rules! I am off to that immediately. Happy holidays btw! Love, Jack)

jeb

body position
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2008 2:05:28 AM
body position is key when cutting a bob if you are not standing in front of your section you will be more likely to overdirect the hair which in turn can minutely affect your elevation leading to the hair flipping. luckily it is a simple fix. also if you are adding layers make sure your elevation is consistent throughout, if you elevate above the 90 it will flip every time

Tat2dluvchylde

Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2008 11:08:24 AM
I agree with Hair Wizard. Get the video from Sassoon. It will improve every aspect of your work.

Lissa77

Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 12:48:37 PM
I have to say pretty much all of the above will be covered by a Vidal Sassoon class/dvd. I took some classes at the Academy in Miami a few years ago and learned so so much about precision cutting and styling. I have to say those were by far the most beneficial and satisfying classes I've ever taken. Pricey, yes, but fantastic education pays for itself as soon as you get back into the salon and utilize it.