Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > long layers on thick hair! I did it!!
Posted By:
Posted By:aireyden on: 9/28/2007 8:13:48 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: long layers on thick hair! I did it!!
aireyden

long layers on thick hair! I did it!!
Posted: Friday, September 28, 2007 8:13:48 PM

ok...I'm a new hairstylist.  Finished school a few months ago..but I have been doing hair for  a while (my mother was a hairdresser so its just kind of in the blood if you know what I mean). 

Anyway- I have a 15 yr old daughter (and trust me your own teenager can be one tough audience).   She has gorgeous thick perfectly straight auburn hair to die for!   She asked me to cut 4" off and give her layers.  I was scared to death..but I did it!  I cut the bottom blunt, then cut where her first layer was to start and brought all hair to that top point....then gave her a little face frame.   She loved it.   I was so proud of myself and she made me feel so good.   It took me a while because her hair was so thick.

Was this the right approach to long layers?  Any other suggestions -- and how do you get faster with the scissors??

Nebstyle

congrats
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2007 6:56:30 PM
I only have a couple things, you said she loved it, remember that cause in this business, as any art field, the only persons opinion which matters is the one paying for or wearing it. It sounds like you did a similar technique to what I do, unless I am razoring, which I do a lot, but be carefull when worrying about finding a faster way cause a lot the best cuts WILL take a bit. I have been in the business for 15 years and constantly have to remind other salon owners that hiring the "fastest" cutter may look good at first, but in our industry, your personal reputation is so important to keeping a clientele and remember, customers might tell a couple people if you do great, but will tell everyone they meet if you do bad. I would rather not sacrifice quality for quantity, and believe me, customers know when you do and a growing trend is where consumers are tired of the Walmart approach and are realizing that many times you do get what you pay for.

Only worry about the things you can control, which is yourself.

aireyden

thanks
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2007 4:55:34 AM

I appreciate your reply....I'm actually taking a class tomorrow which I hope will help a bit.

I do agree that it is better to take your time --and I do think most customers like that...but you do get the few that will be annoyed.   I guess I have to remember that there will be customers who will be a pain in the butt...and others that will be wonderful.

Nebstyle

Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2007 6:56:51 PM
Yes you will always have customers who will be a pain in the butt. I like to remember what I saw on a Robert Cromeans video, he was asked how we are supposed to push the boundries when we live in a part of the country which is not exactly fashion forward and his response was, go out and actually look for the customers which may fit what you like to do rather than wait for them to come to you and hope to convince them later. His example was, if you see someone in the mall who looks as if they are the type you are looking for, approach them and give em a card and say you would be honored to be their stylist. I guess what I meant all along was, yes there are people who are wanting the quickest, or cheapest, or whatever, just like there are stylists who would rather do professional, business types and then there are others who would think those people are too conservitive and "boring", just stay true to yourself and what you want and go for it. I tend to be a perfectionist and not the fastest out there, but that is what my customers expect of me and many of them get frustrated if they sense I am rushing through them, I know I could never be one of the chop shop stylists.

Only worry about the things you can control, which is yourself.