Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > Prom Updo Tips/Advice/Suggestions Needed
Posted By:
Posted By:fashionista on: 5/14/2007 7:57:36 AM

Display:
Author: Thread: Prom Updo Tips/Advice/Suggestions Needed
fashionista

Prom Updo Tips/Advice/Suggestions Needed
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2007 7:57:36 AM
Hello all, as I'm sure most you are aware, it is prom time - and I hate updos!  Fortunatley I was able to hide from all of the prom girls last year but this year I am nailed with 2 girls that want updos.  They both said they just want something with a bunch of curls on top.  Easy enough, but I don't want to just do a pony tail with curls on top, I want to sort of spread out the curls around the crown area and I don't want to tightly pull back the hair, any tips or ideas would be so hepful!  I just really want to avoid using one pony tail as my base.

BRHair
Bronze Member

Posted: Monday, May 14, 2007 11:59:55 AM
Try these DVDs 

(I'd recommend the "Wedding Collection")

fashionista

Posted: Monday, May 14, 2007 12:39:51 PM
I'm sure the DVDs would be very helpful, but I need to do these updos this Saturday.

BRHair
Bronze Member

Posted: Monday, May 14, 2007 1:36:02 PM
I understand ... you can have a DVD shipped 2nd day, or overnight, if you want.  That would get it to you by Thursday, for you to study.

For me, it would be tough to "talk you through" an updo, here on the forum.  I'll try, but I still think the DVDs would be best.

I'd do a loose standup pin-curl set, or use curling iron, to give the soft curls.  Then without combing it out, break it up with your fingers (esp. at the scalp) ... perhaps tease a little at the base ... then pull up sections, a little at a time, and pin in place, as you achieve the look you want.  Start nearest the crown, choosing sections big enough to give a contemporary look ... and add new sections, as you move down the head, to the hair line.  Pin then in place, to cover the crown, broad enough for your taste.  You can easily go from crestline to crestline, if you prefer.  I would try to make the front & bang area interesting ... not just straight away from the face.  Depending on the length of the hair ( & density), you should be able to make the bang very stylish, even if the hair is one-length ... you just have to be creative with the way you pull it up, and pin each section.  One of the tricks to updos, is being able to take hair that is too long, and make it work, by hidding the extra length within the style.

Good luck ...

fashionista

Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2007 11:50:35 AM
Thanks! I hadn't really thought about not starting with a pony tail at all.  I was thinking for the sections at the crown that will be covered by the rest of the hair that i pull up, I coud do a knot to get rid of some of the excess length.

BRHair
Bronze Member

Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2007 2:11:19 PM
Yes ... starting with a ponytail, will do also.  Then cover that with other pulled-up sections.  However, I would suggest keeping the ponytail small ... as they have a tendency to pull the hair tighter than I'd prefer.

For me ... I'd merely pull up loose sections, forming large curls, and pinning them from the start (no ponytail).  It will give a much more contemporary, looser look (imo)  Also, using this method, you'll get sections that show more separation ... that's why I wouldn't comb it out, but rather, pick the sections with my fingers.  The sections will be fairly large ... all depends on how much hair you have, and your artistic sense.  I love using just my hands these days with updos ... I love the free spirited, young look I can get.

All to their own ... updos are the most creative hairdressing we do, in the salon.  Use whatever method allows you the most control and confidence.

mden

super curly hair- updo
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2007 10:19:27 AM

I have a client with super curly hair, tight tight curls.  She wants me to do an updo and she wants the big loose curls....help!

Should I flat iron her hair first, then curl it? or should i just go straight to a curling iron? Velcro rollers?  or should i smooth it with a blow dryer and then curl it? I did it once befor an another client and smoothed it out with a flat iron, then curled it, but it didnt hold well. So i'm lost.

AMirage
Silver Member

Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2007 12:59:03 PM

Use 1 1/2, or 2 inch barrel iron, smooth it from roots to ends using a heat guarding polish, and a mild styling spray. You can roll the ends tighter for a little more kick. Don't straighten it straighter then your desired result then try to get the curl back in. Finger brush and place it. Sometimes leaving the hair fuller, less smooth at the root in the back helps create a fuller base to attach any pins to. Keep the perimeters smooth though.

A spray shine product is great to smooth random curls down after placing them, covers up dulling hairspray effects as well.

Have fun... let your creative juices flow.

AMirage