Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > what can help you be a successful hairdresser in a small town,any advice?
Posted By:
Posted By:HAIRDRESSER-07 on: 4/26/2007 8:05:56 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: what can help you be a successful hairdresser in a small town,any advice?
HAIRDRESSER-07

disconnected cuts
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2007 8:05:56 PM

Humberto
Bronze Member

Posted: Friday, April 27, 2007 6:28:12 AM

Smaller cities are a great advantage for a hairstylist.  It is so much easier being a big fish in a small pond.  Here are four keys to being successful in any city.  They are listed in order of importance.

#1 Reliability.  Just be there every day. Get to work early, stay later, work consistently, work fast even when you have only one client for the day.  Most stylists are lazy, by being reliable you will stand out.

#2 Attitude and Communication skills.  Have a positive attitue and learn to listen to clients.  Learn how to rephrase and repeat back to the client what they say they want.  Always be upbeat even if you have to fake it.  Never talk about personal problems, financial problems, religous, or sexual topics.  Keep it on products, techniques, and prebooking.  Most stylists only talk about juicy gossip and thier personal lives, be professional and you will stand out.

#3 Skills.  Develop your skill thru hands on classes.  Shows are fun and inspirational but you learn very little.  Most stylists only go to shows (where they get drunck and party), if you invest your money wisely in good classes you will stand out.

#4 Artistic ability.  This is not that important, it helps to be a little creative but the other three skills will give you much more success.  Most stylists claim to be Artists, but they are mostly Starving Artists. Learn to be a professional and you will stand out.

My motto is -Work smarter, work harder, work faster, start earlier, stay later and always look for a better way to do things.

gd
Gold Member

Posted: Friday, April 27, 2007 9:28:27 AM
Humberto, the best advice I have heard in a long time!!

doinitright
Bronze Member

That's not just good advice but words to live by...
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2007 10:03:50 AM

Everything Humberto stated is key to success no matter what business you are in.  Which by the way Humberto you do give excellent advice..

This is based on my experiences and beliefs, if it offends anyone I am sorry.  This is what makes this country and this site so great.

AMirage
Silver Member

Posted: Friday, April 27, 2007 12:00:53 PM

Hope you don't mind me printing that up and hanging it in my dispensary.

Well said.........

AMirage

BRHair
Bronze Member

Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2007 12:06:09 AM
Right on, Humberto!

HAIRDRESSER-07

HAIRDRESSER-07
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2007 7:53:31 PM
THANK YOU, HUMBERTO  FOR YOUR WONDERFUL ADVICE! I WILL SAVE AND KEEP THESE POINTS IN MIND AS I CONTINUE TO BUILD MY FUTURE AS A HAIRDRESSER.  
HAIRDRESSER-07