Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > Men's long haircut, help!
Posted By:
Posted By:Mandy1180 on: 4/5/2007 10:06:30 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Men's long haircut, help!
Mandy1180

Men's long haircut, help!
Posted: Thursday, April 05, 2007 10:06:30 PM
I had a client, a family friend, and he wanted a cut for a job interview. Well, he had about shoulder lengh hair and I cut it about mid neck (trying to keep some length) with a razor. I took vertical sections from one side to the other stopping at the recession point. I then took horizontal sections through the top and over directed to the back sections trying to keep length thru top and the fringe area. I learned this cut at an American Crew cutting class. Well, all I heard from his family is how aweful the haircut was. The cut was good in technique, maintaining an even line etc. but it looked weird, for lack of a better term. Is there a great technique that I could use to give a man that wants to maintain lenght but look presentable? I am great with men's short cuts, but struggle with a longer one. Sometimes they look too feminine. Help please!

russnyc
Platinum Member

length
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2007 7:24:55 PM
Hi

First, you have to understand that distribution of hair is very different on a man than a woman. Most men don't have as much hair. If you are maintaining length, draw out a horseshoe section, from each side of the corner hairline at the forehead and running horizontally around the head to the opposite side. Section that U shape up and away from the bottom section.

Now, that U section can be moved up or down depending on how thick his hair is BUT the length line should be unbroken all around the perimeter,
you may have to change the section if it doesn't- especially around the ears.

Secondly, men don't blowout their hair, they usually just let it hang or use product to wear it back. This means that you really shouldn't be pulling angles up to create softness or wispy hair. Instead, pull out the top section and cut it at a 45 degree angle all the way around the horseshoe. This is a long version of a tapered cut. It will swivel 180 degrees evenly all the way around, and you will not have any weight line if it is cut evenly. Cut vertically so you don't take any weight from the bottom.

You may texturize afterwards just to lighten the weight out. There should be precision but a certain unfussiness to it.

If you are dead set on using a razor, use it AFTER you have created the framework. Again, there isn't as much hair to cut as a woman, and it's easy to make it look stringy.

BTW, you can lower the back end of the U shape to layer the crown more, don't over layer curly hair though.