Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > Cutting long hiar.and i mean LONG hair
Posted By:
Posted By:cherylann on: 2/18/2007 6:04:04 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Cutting long hiar.and i mean LONG hair
cherylann

Cutting long hiar.and i mean LONG hair
Posted: Sunday, February 18, 2007 6:04:04 PM
I have been asked to put layers in hair that is to this girls rear end and super thick. she wants to keep it long...just wants some layers in...i am very very new.just got out of school.....i would use a stationary guide, starting at the crown right????  Using a point cutting technique?... i have never cut long hair like this before....But i am looking forward to learning! This is going to take place on Wednesday. Anyone that could give me some tips i would appreciate

coloru2
Silver Member

Posted: Sunday, February 18, 2007 7:17:08 PM
I would slide cut the layers in. Do you know how to do that? Maybe someone at your salon can show you? Or you can do a round layering technique. I would use a traveling guide, though, not a stationary one.

cherylann

interview cut
Posted: Monday, February 19, 2007 11:49:06 AM
I am doing this cut as part of a job interview so i will not be getting any help. They will just be staring at me! lol .  I am very nervous, but i have confidence in that  i will be able to figure it out. Ive practive on a mani that i had that was not as long, but shoulder length long.  I do not know what round layering is and i have never done slide cutting all over the head before to achieve layers but i am game for trying it! How do you begin that?.  just . Ive done slide cutting around the face....I am scared AND psyched to do this cut!!!
~Each New Day is a Gift. Just Untie the Ribbons~

hair2u

Posted: Monday, February 19, 2007 12:35:31 PM

Hi...will you be able to cut the perimeter length at all?....meaning to give it a shape that would compliment the layers?

cherylann

Posted: Monday, February 19, 2007 3:34:53 PM
Yes, she will allow me to cut some off the perimeter, but not alot. Only about 2 inches

hair2u

Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 1:00:52 PM

Hi...this is what I would do....is the "easiest", but need to be planned firstly.

Are you washing her hair firstly?  Make sure your choices for shampoo/conditioner and leave-in are made.

Make sure you have enough conditioner in the hair to have slip to be able to comb the hair with the least amount of struggle. 

Make sure you have a comb that is big enough to handle long hair...that is to have small and wide teeth, but is deeper.  Not a regular cutting comb, but one that is easy to wield.

The back perimeter length done first, then the front perimeter shape. 

Comb all the hair back and make a one inch section (either side of the centre) at the top of the head from front to back.  That's your guide. for interior shape/layers.

Determine the layer length at the crown by pulling a piece down to where you want the layers to start.  The safest would be to use a layer that is longer than the bottom perimeter length when pulled up at the back. 

Starting at the front, pull the hair up 90º, slightly longer than the front guide, cut the length and angle to the crown determined length.   Continue down the guide and bring the hair straight up but slightly directed forward and cut to continue the angle.  Follow the 1" section until there is no more hair to cut.

From there, take diagnonal partings starting at the back, using a portion of the guideline and holding the back up 90º but slightly directed forward as to not cut into the bottom perimeter line. Continue along the sides in the same manner but using front to back diagonal partings, lifting to the top guide.

Hope this makes sense how I explained it...not my forté....

Hope it goes well for you...keep us posted.

h2u 

cherylann

Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 5:12:27 PM
Whew!!!!! I did it! and i got the job! Hair2u thank you so much. Im not sure that i followed your directions precisely but i did what i could remember of your post and the layers turned out pretty good! The manager was happy with t he cut and so was the gal that i cut.  I know it could have been much better and i was not entirely happy with the look but i did not tell any one else that. It took me FOREVER oh my gosh that was the thickest longest hair!!!! I want to thank you so much!

hair2u

Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 10:06:26 PM

Awesome....Congratulations on your new job!!!!!!!

It doesn't matter if you followed what I suggested...it was only one way of doing that cut. 

Having enough "slip" in the hair always helps.  I normally notch cut everything I do. 

Huge suggestion...take a peek on eBay and purchase haircutting (and colouring) videos or dvds....Rusk has awesome ones, especially the pony-tail cuts.  Tigi, Paul Mitchell are some I do purchase. Great results, fast and "cool" techniques which you can personalise nicely.

Enjoy your career!!!

h2u

2funkyforyou

thick crazy hair
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2007 12:00:01 PM
i have a hard time with thick hair.what would be a good way to thin out thick hair .i have used my thinning shears and notching as well be i find it didnit take out enough weight.

HAIRGEEK
Bronze Member

Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2007 12:36:45 PM
Hi 2funky,
I work with a lot of clients with thick hair, & for me the most effective way to make it to look thiner or more manageable is to channel (or slide cut) through it vertically & instantly you can see the hair to lay flatter :ø)

2funkyforyou

thick hair
Posted: Saturday, February 24, 2007 5:12:24 PM
thanks hairgeek i will give it a try.i will let you know how it works