Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > client with waving hair and cowlicks
Posted By:
Posted By:connie on: 2/6/2007 10:19:12 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: client with waving hair and cowlicks
connie

client with waving hair and cowlicks
Posted: Tuesday, February 06, 2007 10:19:12 PM

I have a new client she has waving hair with cowlicks,I cut her hair with bangs and face framing finge, falls right below jaw line. After she worked with her hair at home she tells me its not laying right, one side curls in and the other side flip out. I checked my evenness and the angle and the lines, I also flat ironed it checking again I dont see anything wrong, she says her old hairstylist was able to cut it so both side fall the same way. I need help any ideas what I am doing wrong.

HAIRGEEK
Bronze Member

Posted: Tuesday, February 06, 2007 10:49:31 PM
Hi Connie, this is a tough one to explain by writing...I'll try...

Since curly or wavy hair have a mind of it's own, when you cut it, use lighter tension on the sections & don't pull to hard, let it spring up some.
With curly/wavy hair specially, don't go so much for 'even', go more towards 'looking even' because the curl/wave pattern might be tighter on one side verses the other.
And yes we can make the hair to turn one way or the other... Let say, for example, if you cut her hair on the side vertically & one side does not cooperates, then resection that part, pull the hair diagonally, over-direct it slightly towards her face & dust the ends, then comb it down & see what is happening...if that didn't work take cross section of it horizontally elevate it higher, while directing the ends under & dust the ends lightly again...so pretty much you have to maneuver the hair until it does what you want it to do, just remember with curly/wavy hair go for visual evenness.

I hope that this helps, good luck.

pinkparagon
Bronze Member

Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 4:40:37 AM
Good advice, Hairgeek. Also, you need to remember that the client is not likely to flat iron it as smooth as you will. Talk to her about growth patterns and hair stream. Most people are not perfectly symmetrical from side to side. If she is wearing a center part, try to talk her into side or off center, as a dead center part will only make the assymetry more obvious.

russnyc
Platinum Member

Curly hair/ Cowlicks
Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 6:50:24 AM
Hi

In this case, it's a good idea to let the hair dry a bit before finishing the cut- about 80 percent. A curly haired client will know right away if you've gone too short, so ALWAYS leave a little longer than you want, and go back after she has said OK if she wants it shorter.

If there is a bang, leave the middle a bit longer (angle slightly side to side rather than pulling straight down) than the sides, this allows a little wiggle room. If it is a guy, save the top for very last.

It's always best to cut wet to dry, never over texture curly hair, and don't cut the guide sopping wet on the neckline. Blowdry a little bit and pay close attention to how they styled it before you wet it down.

In her case, find out which side is curling out, spritz it with water, and cut into it about a quarter inch along the bottom, you might have cut against the curl rather than with it.