Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > 30 minute cut?
Posted By:
Posted By:airhair on: 12/3/2006 7:15:18 AM

Display:
Author: Thread: 30 minute cut?
airhair

30 minute cut?
Posted: Sunday, December 03, 2006 7:15:18 AM
The salon I work at has told us that we need to have a clients hircut in 30 minutes.  That is frm start of consultation to end of cut with them leaving wet.  I do not agree weith this as i feel everyone cuts at a different pace.  I like to give more detail and really give my client 100% of my time.  Not rush through a consultation and give them a quick cut.  This leaves no time for an add on brow wax or anything.  She says it confuses the front desk to schedule us unless whe all have the same times for services.  There is only 4 of us.  How confusing can it be?  Am I the only stylist  this bothers? Plese let me know how ling it takes you to do services.

CopaGirl
Bronze Member

Posted: Sunday, December 03, 2006 9:03:12 AM

I allow an hour for a haircut, but you must charge more. I can do alot of my oldtimers in half an hour, especially if doing color too. I believe in giving my full time and attention to my client. I always do a thorough consultation, and adding a nice shampoo and good blow-dry with styling lesson, selling products, I don't know how you would manage to get in a great haircut without making the client feel rushed through. I know it's different for those who have receptionists and assistants.

If you are working for a salon, then they would have the say in how long you get, but maybe you could explain how you would be doing a better job, adding on services and having better client retention and referrals from having 15 more min. Good luck.

I just read the "leaving wet" part. Why are they leaving wet? You need to dry to teach them how to style the cut, and I do the detailing after the cut is dry so I can see what the hair does.

coloru2
Silver Member

Posted: Sunday, December 03, 2006 9:28:30 AM
It all depends if you are in the makeover business or the cutting business. The last time I did haircuts with them leaving with a wet head was in beauty school. I never did learn the proper detail and finishing of a cut until I got to a salon. School didn't teach that, but it should have. So, now that I am a licensed professional, why would I ever want my client to leave without a FULL haircut?
I charge 45.00 (soon to be raised) for cuts, and give clients a full hour of my time. Except on short hair, it's a little less, but with blowdrying and flatironing, it takes the full hour.

The desk should be scheduling appointments according to the stylists recommendations, not according to how easy it is for the front desk. How ridiculous.

Humberto
Bronze Member

Posted: Sunday, December 03, 2006 10:37:01 AM

So much depends on the price structure.  A salon is a business and needs to be profitable, but also must provides a standard of service that justifies the price.  I have seen successful salons/stylists who book out 1.5-2 hours for a consult, wash, cut, and style.  I have also witnessed salons/stylists who book a client every 15-20 minutes and are just as successful (Fekkai.  Jammison Shaw, Dessange).   I seldom take longer than 15 minutes on the actual cut, sometimes I can finish in less than 5 minutes but I'll stretch it out a litttle longer.  Our assistants do the wash and blowout at no extra charge to the client, however if the client insists on a senior stylist to do the entire process (wash cut and blowdry) we charge by the hour.  15 minute consult/cut with stylist is $60, one hour with stylist  (consult/wash/cut/ blowdry) is $250.  Most client prefer the complimentary services provided by the assistants. 

kandy

My haircuts cost $15
Posted: Sunday, December 03, 2006 8:29:54 PM
When you do a $15 haircut you take only 30 mins. That would mean that you are making $30 and hour, not bad for the average stylist. When you do a $50 haircut, I would say an hour would be an approiate time allowance. When you do a $100 haircut,  I would say that should be at least an hour and a half. All of these should include, wash, cut, blow. And still leave time for an arch, or dry mani. When you are in an average salon, you try and make as much money you can, in the least amount of time that you can, and provide as much serivce you can. When you are in a high class salon, you take your time and have many hands to help, and make a million dollars an hour. I wish we small town, hair Michaelangelos could get alittle more credit!

~Kandy~

clumbsieme

Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 6:27:50 PM
I am new to the business, and my first job out of school was in a quick salon as well. They had us charge per service ie. blowdry extra. So I got a lot of cut experience, which I desperately needed, but not a lot of style experience. Our salon had five of us as we were understaffed, but very busy. I felt stressed and had begun to not like my job at all. I have now left that job and will soon be starting in a higher end, full service salon, at $40 a cut with shampoo blowdry included. I am looking forward to the more relaxing atmosphere of this new job, and being able to take my time doing cuts. I dont really feel like a professional hairdresser yet,and am a bit nervous about going into a place and practicing at $40 a cut. But had I stayed at my previous job I probably would have left the business. Does this just come in time? ( Licenced 5 months) I think this new job is more what I wanted when I imagined how this would be. I have been studing everything I can get my hands on, but Im a hands on learner. Any advice about these jitters?I was very nervous when i started other job too,but it got me over my fear of cutting.

sunnystylist

Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 6:41:32 PM
hi....when i finished school i went to a salon like urs that was really strict about quick haircuts........the only advantage i would say is that you build your speed but i cant say you learn anything more than that...i hardly did any colours, so i didnt get much expertise in that field..and I  really loved to style the hair after cuz thats when you can really judge the cut overall is when its dry....and sometimes i like to texturize the hair when its dry.......my advice 2 u is to look for a salon that offers all services such as colors, perms, cuts , etc...that are s trict about blow drying...i believe good Quality comes from patient Quantiy(time)...i hate being rushed...you feel like you cant show your artistic side....

weed

Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2007 6:16:22 PM

who has time for an hour cut anymore?

people want 30 min perms these days.

april4jsd

this is how we do it our salon
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2007 6:38:29 PM
We book haircuts every 30 minutes.  That is wash/cut and style.  Normally it takes me 30 minutes to do a guy's cut.  For women we also book 30 minutes. If they have long hair we book for an hour.  That is also wash cut and style.  We have a shampoo technician  she takes about 5-7 minutes of that 30 minute slot also.  Mostly we end up running about 10 minutes late on women.  But I have noticed that at long as you let that client know that you will be with them  as soon as they get shampooed-  you can take a little longer with the one in your chair.  We book all new clients 1 hour  for consult then from there on out we book for 30 minutes.  We book eyebrow waxes for 15  minutes.  we run the salonbiz program and it works.

HairCrooner

SEEK NEW SALON
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 11:06:50 AM
I just left a salon I loved because they expected 15minute cuts for $12.95 and, yes, that was leaving the hair wet. I'm obsessive compulsive and a haircut HAS to be perfect ... and I prefer to create an experience for the client. Two weeks ago I started in a high-end salon who WANTS you to take your time and I am very happy I did so. What it boils down to is the old adage, 'time is money' BUT ... you usually always 'get what you pay for.'

BRHair
Bronze Member

Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2007 7:59:23 AM
HairCrooner ...

You are correct on both counts: "Time IS money" and "You get what you pay for".  Of course, one hour long, $12.95 haircuts, don't make any sense.  But neither does charging $75, and only doing one or two a day.

Also consider another famous expression: "Supply must equal demand"  This is actually even more significant.  If you want to do hour long haircuts, and charge $75 ... AND there is enough clients who are happy with BOTH the quality of your skill, and the price ... then you will be able to fill your books, and make a good living.

Whether you are charging $12.95 or $500 ... the principal is the same.  Obviously, at lower prices, the stylist must do more services to make a good living.  I am familiar with a very successful men's haircutter (Barber), in my area, who charges only $30 per cut ... but does them in 15 minutes, and has a waiting list.  There aren't many like him, but it works for him, AND his clients.

Find the best balance for your personal style, and the type of business you want to build.  Good luck with your change of salon ... sounds like you made the right move!

Stacy_Tilley2808

Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2007 9:07:44 AM
I can usually  shampoo cut and stye someone in 30 min..... I charge 35.00 and they love it .... I have return clients.  I think 30 min. for a hair cut is enough time for sure !
STACY

sparklysara

1 hour cuts
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2007 11:17:45 AM
hi everyone, i live in the UK, and i take an hour for cuts, including shampoo and blow dry. Is that not average over in the US? (btw i charge 26 pounds for a cut and blow, which is about, what, 50 dollars at the moment? or less )

russnyc
Platinum Member

Timing
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2007 7:32:30 PM
I book EVERYTHING on 45 minute increments, including processing in between colors. Here's why-

1. Clients always are running 10 minutes late or show up a bit early. If you are good at juggling, you can also squeeze in a male haircut INSIDE the two 45 minute slots if you are fast.

2. I do a LOT of haircolor and inevitably it runs late because I hate to use heat.

3. You eventually have people complain like I did because you have to be running ON TIME and I have many important clients that value the fact that I never run late.

I charge $120 for a cut and $200 for a partial so no, I'm not average but it's very important that the client get what they pay for no matter what you charged, and you can't give good service by rushing. If you are booking on a 30 minute schedule, give yourself a 30 min break or two 15 minute breaks somewhere inside of the day.

It's the law, even if you're on commission and not paid by the hour.

BRHair
Bronze Member

Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2007 7:38:43 PM
Personally, I allow 45 min for a haircut/blowdry ... with 1hr for new clients.  This works well for me, since it gives me time for a thorough consultation, and being creative ... which is what many of my clients expect of me.  Customized work can not be done well, if you are hurrying.

Every stylist is different ... clients have varied expectations.  However long you spend; at whatever price you charge; if you can build a healthy clientelle, then you are doing it right!

I am a consumer, also (as are we all) ... and want my service providers working carefully, not necessarily fast.  In fact I enjoy them taking time ... it makes me feel that more thought has gone into the service.

pokepres

Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2007 9:17:10 AM
My salon books exactly what the person above does...45 minutes for a cut/style and a full hour for new clients. You work at a speedy place, you aren't going to be able to change them, their whole business is based off of the time length, it's either..deal with it or go somewhere else. I specifically stayed away from places like that when i went looking for a salon because i don't want to have to rush.

AMirage
Silver Member

Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2007 1:22:26 PM
I book 1/2 hr for hair above the shoulders, 1 hr for anything below.

hues4you
Platinum Member

Stacy_Tilley2808
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2007 2:46:34 PM

Dear Stacy_Tilley2808

Welcome to the BTC Talk Back Boards!  Please take a few moments to read over the board rules in the green box above.  Nice to have you with us!

Cindy Farr Hester  Asst Moderator

BRHair
Bronze Member

Posted: Monday, June 11, 2007 1:26:07 AM
I think you can see, from the responses, that there are many different approaches to salon booking.

How long you spend on any service, is more a function of the salon style (or your personal style), than anything else.  If you are making a good living ... creating great hairstyles ... building a nice clientelle ... then the length of time you spend with clients is fine.

I have worked with many of the top stylists in the US.  Some routinely book 1 hour for any cut ... others 30/45 minutes ... one, booked 10 minutes.  Yes ... 10 minutes!  And he was one of the most successful hairdressers in the world.  He used 6 assistants ... and made those 10 minutes, the best 10 minutes of the month for his clients.  They loved him!  In fact, when I met him, he was being promoted by Aveda, as the "World's busiest Hairdresser"  Obviously, his was very unique ... but you get the point.  It's NOT the amount of time spent ... it's the quality of the time, and the clients' perception of the result.

davekarvasales

30-45 Minutes
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 11:43:26 PM
I have read most of these reviews and I figured I would give my thoughts and experience.

I apprenticed at several world-class salons including Vidal Sassoon in San Francisco.

During my time there, roughly one year, I was given two hours for a haircut. This is during our testing, and class days mind you. Most of you may be saying "how could you spend that long on a haircut?"

To answer this truthfully, Elizabeth Hartley (Sassoon ABC's Video) and the other instructors thought I had a great eye, and technique. After one year there, I was still having the same major problem... my timing. I was running late nearly every time!! Nearly 2 hours and 30 minutes at times. These were certainly great haircuts, but it was a challenge then.

I was let go by Sassoon after failing a test in which one of my three models did not show..

I moved on to a mens salon in here in the SF area. It was always my preference to work on Men. Now I do great 30 minute haircuts, while using many of my techniques, and theory I learned while apprenticing. I do up to 15 haircuts on days, and average about 10. I have a very solid following with several clients who book ever other week. I am nearly booked solid daily, and growing after just about a year. I certainly have great communication and people skills which have helped as well. I look back on my traing and I learned some very valuable lessons. If I decided to do an apprenticeship now after what I have been through, I believe it would be a lot less complicated, and the experience would be greatly beneficial.

I recommend doing haircuts in 30 to 45 mins (45min particularly on new clients) for no less than one year before jumping into an apprentice. It would be the best thing possible for you.

This is another salon I worked at prior which has some great hairdressers. Here I learned to develop identities, my personal style, and my professionalism. www.mrpinkwhistle.com

Sassoon I learned my technique, professionalism, and many things on how to NOT treat employees. Still a great experience though.

If you have any questions about timing, or training, feel free to email me any questions.

David