Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > Black/White??? I thought it was hair!!!
Posted By:
Posted By:lizzmoldon on: 5/15/2006 5:17:53 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Black/White??? I thought it was hair!!!
lizzmoldon

Black/White??? I thought it was hair!!!
Posted: Monday, May 15, 2006 5:17:53 PM
Does the small cities EVER grow up?!? I'm originally from Detroit, Michigana nd now live in a very small town in Kentucky. I am about to graduate in November at the latest and it feels like nobody here is going to like my work when I get out. Everytime I do a new style or something other then a normal boring style people say I'm trying to me people look "black". Sorry but where I'm from it was never this narrow-minded and I don't know if I should move after graduating to a bigger city or do you think it might just be at the school? I couldn't take working like this forever, never getting to do anything "fun". Prom time is here and I've been able to have a little fun with the updo's but people around here think that if you have one twisty, cornrow or braid in your head you're trying to be black! What is that all about anyways?!?!? When I was in highschool preppy stuck up white girls had it too lol..And yeah I was probably among those minus the stuck up part:)

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Monday, May 15, 2006 10:19:37 PM
Small towns in Kentucky are not really ever likely to be too fashion-forward.

hues4you
Platinum Member

lizzmolden
Posted: Tuesday, May 16, 2006 6:22:42 AM

Dear lizzmolden-

Welcome to the BTC Talk Back Boards!  Please take a moment to read over the board rules in the green box above!  We look forward to your participation!

Cindy Farr Hester  Asst Moderator

roland_marx85

Britboy is correct
Posted: Tuesday, May 16, 2006 11:46:27 AM
Hey from Elizabethtown Liz. Small towns do grow up, but not around here LOL Kentucky is a red state, not to mention in the heart of the bible belt, so naturally the local yokels around here are going to have that conservitive, stuffy "aww it looks black" attitude. The town I live and work in isn't a big city compared to your native Detroit, but Ft. Knox and Louisville are just up the road a piece so that makes the clientele around here a little more open minded. I don't know what part of the state you are in, but if you want the "try something new and exciting crowd", you ain't gonna find it anywhere around here save for Louisville and maybe (just maybe) Lexington. Personally I get really bored with the people around here often, but luckily I have a few of those free spirited individuals like me as clients that I absolutely get to have a blast with. I wish you good luck and want you to know there are at least a few people like us around here. :)

-Robbie

lizzmoldon

lalala
Posted: Tuesday, May 16, 2006 3:04:11 PM
thanks for the response I'm in Glasgow if you know where that is ..about 30 mins from bowling green which is where I think I'll work at when I graduate (CANT WAIT!!!) hopefully it will be a little better there. I've thought about going to lousville or even Nashville but I really don't know. I hate to move my kids away from our family and I wouldn't like that much either but I just don't know what kind of money I could really make here and how happy i'd be doing it. Hopefully I'll meet a few people like you have that will let me play with their hair.
Lizz

roland_marx85

Posted: Wednesday, May 17, 2006 10:16:38 AM
Yep, know where Glasgow is I have a lot of family in and around that area. Bowling Green may just turn in to what you're looking for. As you know it is a college town so there are a lot of younger people around there. There are also a lot of affluent (but conservitive ugh!) people in that area so I really think you'll be making good money. If that doesen't work out there's always Nashville. But honestly I think you'll be happy right there. If you don't get to be creative, well at least you'll be making good money. :)

-Robbie

lizzmoldon

Thanks
Posted: Wednesday, May 17, 2006 12:41:13 PM
Well, thanks for the advice I think BG might be what I will stick with but at least I'll find out within my 6 months. I've got a while until graduatiopn anyways so who knows maybe better luck will show up in school.
Lizz

LUCYBOO

BLACK/ WHITE IT IS HAIR
Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2007 12:15:01 AM
I was taught that hair is hair and it's not classified by the color of your skin or your nationality only it's texture. You are not doing nothing wrong just being creative is what stylists are. So don't let no one keep you from expressing yourself and using your talent. You need to learn all that you can while in school and even more when you are out about hair and it's textures. We all wear the same hair cuts and we can even wear the same hair styles but we don't have the same hair textures so learn the difference in the textures and you will be a sucess in your career. Don't be afraid of hair learn your chemicals and cutting techinques these are very important to you as a stylist. I'm speak from experience and for you to feel that your creative side is being questioned by someone then that makes you feel insecure about what you are doing. Just think of it as maybe they are insecure about themselves or  that they  just don't know as much about hair as you do. You are a force to be reconed with and stay focused on what you are doing. Also as a stylist you learn from each other so you can pass on some of that knowledge to others that want to learn what you know and ask questions from the other stylist who you work with if ever in doubt and keep learning by going to continuing education classes to keep head in this industry because things change everyday. Much sucess to you in your career!

hues4you
Platinum Member

LUCYBOO
Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2007 7:52:56 PM

Dear LUCYBOO

Welcome to the BTC Talk Back Boards!  Please take a few moments to read over the board rules in the green box above.  Nice to have you with us.

Cindy Farr Hester  Asst Moderator