Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > Disconnected layers?
Posted By:
Posted By:LuvinIT on: 5/4/2006 7:06:59 AM

Display:
Author: Thread: Disconnected layers?
LuvinIT

Disconnected layers?
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 7:07:00 AM
Ok I feel stupid for asking all these stupid questions buuuut I guess that is what happens when your just getting out of a crappy school.  Anyways,  When you say disconnected layers what is that?  What does it look like?  And how do I go about getting the look?  I have been practicing on some of my old manicans lately so trying different cuts is really helping me.

whynotdye

Disconnection.
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 9:34:14 AM

First off, not all disconnected cuts are layers. But for arguments sake...

Typical layers use a traveling guide and blend throughout the cut, meaning, they are all connected by one or more guides, creating a more fluid look.

Disconnecting layers uses 2 or more guides, that are not blended together creating a more chaotic, yet balanced look.  

I think your best bet is to get your hands on a T&G or Colorcutting video that showcases a disconnected cut, as attempting to guide you through one would be like telling someone how the fix a car.....hands on is better.

LuvinIT

Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 3:23:50 PM

Both...I dont know what they look like or how to get them

AMirage
Silver Member

Posted: Friday, May 05, 2006 5:19:50 PM

You see these cuts everyday just don't realize you do.  It's pretty much shorter layers sitting next to longer layers. They are messy but balanced. Imperfect, but flattering with movement, and texture.

They are fun cuts to do. Good luck with them.

Disconnect is great, because it lets you really customize a hairstyle,

If a client’s hair is thinner in front, you can disconnect the back, cut more layers there, and leave the front longer to keep the fullness. You can disconnect top to bottom, with heavy bangs and longer on top, falling over layering at the bottom.

AMirage 

CopaGirl
Bronze Member

Posted: Friday, May 05, 2006 10:28:53 PM
Nice pictures! Are they yours? Very nice.

AMirage
Silver Member

Posted: Saturday, May 06, 2006 5:58:33 AM

Not my pictures, I searched for some for reference.

This is one in my portfolio...

did that shot in a cigar shop. It's more for the make-up then the hair. I have more but don't want to hijack the post.

Cbeeson1@ec.rr.com

Hair cutting/ Color tapes
Posted: Saturday, May 06, 2006 7:51:01 PM

Hi,

Fresh out of school and I am working in a upscale salon in wilmington NC. So I need more help on cutting (alot) So I am looking for books but, more of DVD/ VHS of cutting and color(hi lites) Are the any good tapes out there for me to get?

pinkparagon
Bronze Member

Posted: Saturday, May 06, 2006 9:12:54 PM
Hair Maven (Russell Mayes) has an excellent DVD. The Toni and Guy Classic Cuts is outstanding, and there is a companion book that breaks each haircut down step by step.

Cbeeson1@ec.rr.com

Posted: Sunday, May 07, 2006 5:28:26 PM
How much is the toni & Guy Classic cut? I think it is 400 or 300 that is alot of money!!! Where can I find a use dvd of toni & guy

pinkparagon
Bronze Member

Posted: Sunday, May 07, 2006 8:47:10 PM
You can find almost anything on eBay if you watch it long enough..Toni and Guy used to sell this on video as well as DVD, you might check with the BTC bookstore to see if it is still available. Yes, it does seem like a lot of money, until you realize how much more your earning potential will increase when you consistently give good results to your clients.

coloru2
Silver Member

Posted: Sunday, May 07, 2006 10:25:47 PM
I got the Tony and Guy set off ebay. Although they're not the original ones, the copies are great. Check on ebay, item numbers 9134529693 or 9133400321. It doesn't say it's Tony and Guy, but they are.