Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > very frusterated
Posted By:
Posted By:s.dowe@sympatico.ca on: 3/19/2006 8:54:43 AM

Display:
Author: Thread: very frusterated
s.dowe@sympatico.ca

very frusterated
Posted: Sunday, March 19, 2006 8:54:43 AM
Iam 5 months into my apprentiship and still end up with one side of the head longer than the other. Is this a common problem or is it just me? Ive tried pulling the sides to the back as suggested by my boss and then straightening them out when i drop them back to the sides but even this doesnt always work does anyone have any tips or advice to help me with this?

coloru2
Silver Member

Posted: Sunday, March 19, 2006 9:34:59 AM
Cutting a straight line is the hardest concept to learn, I think. Just because it seems so easy that it becomes so difficult. Try cutting from center to left, then from center to right. Most people cut from center to left, then from right to center. That gives you an uneven line. So try it the other way and see if it helps. It may seem awkward at first, because your hand faces the other way, but it'll get easier. Now, not everyone may agree with this solution, and to each his own, but it may work for you since you've tried other things and it hasn't worked.

mina2
Silver Member

Posted: Sunday, March 19, 2006 1:35:19 PM

coloru2 I never thought about it, but that's how I cut!  Well, it works!

Comb everything towards the back and cut across (the way coloru2 described.  Don't take sections that are too thick for you to see your guide.  Before dropping down each section make sure that the two ends are the same lenght.

Then part the hair down the middle.  Be sure to get those hairs that get trapped by the ear.  When doing the left side, have the client look to the right- so that you have a 0 graduation  (the shoulder will cause a graduation and it will not be even).  Use the guide from the right and cut towards your left.  Then do the other side.  Look in the mirror- even out the hair if one side is longer- should be pretty close to even.

pinkparagon
Bronze Member

Posted: Sunday, March 19, 2006 2:03:44 PM
Everything coloru2 and mina2 said is correct, also check your body position in relation to what you are cutting. Sometimes we drop an elbow and it shifts how we cut, also we tend to direct the hair towards where we are standing, so it is a good idea to get in the habit of standing on the side opposite of where you are cutting. If you are doing a zero degree cut (one length), make sure you are standing in one place and bringing the hair to a stationary guide in the back and not moving yourself.