Posted By:
Posted By:AlenaL on: 3/8/2006 9:31:58 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: UPDO with HEADBAND
AlenaL
Bronze Member

UPDO with HEADBAND
Posted: Wednesday, March 08, 2006 9:31:58 PM
Hey Ya'll! I am having a hard time finding the perfect picture for my stylist. I am a hairstylist, but don't want to do my own hair on my wedding day. I returned my tiara, said scratch the veil...and want to do something funky and different. I want to look mod kind of--I was going for a headband (we used a ribbon the color of my dress) and she just tied it in a knot and cut it. I hate the way it looks on the side. Do you guys have any pics of something like I am talking about? The hair is slick in front, then headband, and then the hair is HUGE in the back and she will use a hair form, then pin it in a french twist type thing in the back. ANY IDEAS? Email me at carolinagirl_68@yahoo.com PLEASE HELP! THanks guys! I have a pic if any of ya'll want to see.

habib
Silver Member

Posted: Thursday, March 09, 2006 4:14:31 AM

what do you hate about the side of the ribbon? Because it is all one width across instead of tapering down smaller as it disapears into the nape? Or do you not like that it is plain?

I think plain and wide is best for the up-do you are creating, you don't want too much going on and you want it to flow gracefully as one whole hairdo. What is your shoulder and neckline of the dress like? If its strapless or straps- simple is best. If you have any kind of sleeves embellished or not, you can get a little more elaborate with the ribbon.

You can jazz it up a bit with bridal applicaes or tiny flowers or sequins & pearls. Check the bridal aisle in your local craft or fabric store. even just adding a couple of fancy sparkly simple bobby pins or clips down at the sides will give it interest without taking from or overpowering any other part of the do. sometimes even some kind of trim added to the edges of the ribbons will pull the whole look all together.

Or maybe you just need a wider ribbon?

My personal preference is satin material that gently tapers narrower towards the nape. I think a ribbon about an inch and a half wide at the top that narrows into 3 quarters of an inch is pretty. The sides are narrower so the ribbon needs to taper narrower. I think that may be what's not pleasing your eye?

I hope some of this helps- and makes sense! p.s. Elena I just e-mailed you to send me a picture.

AlenaL
Bronze Member

Posted: Thursday, March 09, 2006 5:29:31 AM

Hey I don't like the fact that the head band goes the same width all around. I would like it to taper and I also don't like how it is going all the way around to the nape of my neck! Thanks!

habib
Silver Member

Posted: Thursday, March 09, 2006 8:17:27 AM

I would taper the sides of the ribbon and glue them to stay.

then I would leave the bottom section of hair at the nape down, put the ribbon on and then bring up that bottom section over the ribbon at the nape to hide the knot and to stop the eye from following the ribbon around.

P.S. Alena, I responded to the e-mail with pic you sent, but the e-mail keeps getting bounced back to me. I just tried to send it again (3rd try....fingers crossed) I didn't want you to think I wasn't answering

AlenaL
Bronze Member

Posted: Sunday, March 12, 2006 10:55:33 PM
Habib- That is weird. Anyways,  I agree with you. I got my photos back from my bridal shoot. They are BEAUTIFUL! OMG! I am finally like--Oh MY I am REALLY getting married!!! lol. Anyways- I want the top to still be big and all, but I now see the real problem; the shape of my chin mimicks the shape of the big part. So, in order to balance that, however she does the back of my hair, she will need to make that part stick out or something. Just so everything isn't so oblong looking. I know that is hard to understand, but trust me, lol. I told Juliet that we would have to do exactly as you said--taper it, then fold the hair up over it. Thanks for all of your help!