Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > 1,000 different ways to cut hair .
Posted By:
Posted By:franko on: 1/19/2006 5:36:52 AM

Display:
Author: Thread: 1,000 different ways to cut hair .
franko

1,000 different ways to cut hair .
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2006 5:36:52 AM

Did you know there are more than 1,000 different hair cutting techniques ? well , its true . In today's hair cutting world the day of the 5 different applications of sassoon cuts is out . In today's hair cutting world there is an infinite number of different hair cutting tools and techniques . All of these tools and techniques can be intertwined ( like the mixing of a great hair coloring formula ) to achieve the total look . It use to be when I would consult with a client ( in the 80's and 90's ) I would immediately know which one of the Sassoon style hair cuts I was going to use , short layer , gypsy , lift cut , blunt cut , wedge . In today's hair cutting world my approach has changed dramatically where as I no longer even know the total technique I may be using on a hair cut until I'm finished with the cut . Today's cutting world is so free lance and unstructured/unrestricted I just don't know until I'm finished what tools and techniques I will be using on a clients hair . One of the great things about today's styles is that they have really opened up the door for total creative hair cutting techniques where just about anything ( as long as it looks cool and in ) can be excepted as a cool cut . from razors to shears to thinners and texturizors , the tools we use in today's hair cutting world have really changed from when I started doing hair in the early 80's . Back then ( way back then ) if you saw a hair stylist using a razor you would laugh , now if the stylist doesn't have a razor as a tool in there arsenal , we laugh .

JonDavidLopez

Posted: Sunday, April 30, 2006 7:17:15 PM

shorthairedgirl
Bronze Member

Amazing!
Posted: Sunday, April 30, 2006 7:34:40 PM

it really is isn't.  that there really are so many different techniques out there!  I still get amazed by the whole sassoon thing I have the book cutting the sassoon way which i got on here at the book store.  But point cutting is my favorite I luv lots of texture!

And by the way thats a great affirmation!

Lily 

REBA

1,000 different ways to cut hair - HELP
Posted: Friday, September 08, 2006 2:06:02 PM
Just "getting back into the industry" after many years away.  Am still really good at the Sassoon precision and basic cuts.  Any ideas for any great books, cd's, classes on the newer cuts so I can be more creative without fear. I'm so use to the "proper" cutting techniques. I really want to become more updated in my approach, but I am really having a difficult time finding updated training.   This also applies to the updated color techniques.  Would be great if someone opened an "advanced training salon" or the "regular schools" offered refresher courses.  I was great before and really want to become "great" again.  I am very ambitious and competitive and excited about being successful. All advice and insights into training are very welcome and appreciated!

luv_2foil

reba
Posted: Saturday, September 09, 2006 10:38:56 PM
I work at jcpenneys salon in lubbock tx. I have been w/ the company for about 3yrs now. And the have really good classes and lots of hands on too. You might look into it.
luv_2foil
laura/lbk,tx

hues4you
Platinum Member

luv_2foil
Posted: Sunday, September 10, 2006 5:18:11 PM

Dear luv_2foil

Welcome to the BTC Talk Back Boards!  Please take a few moments to read over the board rules in the green box above.  Stylist Choice Awards are available for veiwing - link on home page.

Cindy Farr Hester  Asst Moderator

brendakay

Reba / New and improved cuts
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2007 7:34:22 PM

***** Ok, this is the 3rd time today.  Please post this under the brown bar above in Classified Section.  Selling is not allowed on these boards.  Thank you.

highlandgirl

had to chime in...
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2007 2:14:55 PM

Okay...had to add my tuppence worth!

While the sentiment expressed here is great from the stylist's viewpoint it may not be so wonderful from a client's.

As a hairstylist who has admittedly been out of the salon for awhile, I have the unique position of being a paying client who has been on the recieving end of these ," My approach has changed dramatically where as I no longer even know the total technique I may be using on a hair cut until I'm finished with the cut . Today's cutting world is so free lance and unstructured/unrestricted I just don't know until I'm finished what tools and techniques I will be using on a clients hair . One of the great things about today's styles is that they have really opened up the door for total creative hair cutting techniques where just about anything ( as long as it looks cool and in ) can be excepted as a cool cut ."  hair cuts.

I must say that while I was practicing my craft in the salon I was  very successful .... I knew the craft and how/why to use ALL types of tools from shears to razors to chemicals and products. If a stylist does not have a basic understanding of how to properly use the various tools and maybe more importantly the actual WHY to use a specific tool, the client's hair may look really "cool" on the way out of the salon ( keep in mind the amount of product also used), but heaven help the average client who has to deal with the unholy mess left behind after having had shears, texturizers and razors used in a random ,haphazard way.  Most cuts started without some type of "plan"  more often than not are practical for all of two weeks. Once the hair grows all the poorly removed,chopped areas( and I don't mean in a Sally Hershberger way) become apparent.

I, as a person who made a point of keeping current with the trends in her craft,  am apalled at the lack of competence in tool usage I see in the few salons I have frequented. Many stylists talk a good line but if their work were to be subjected to technical scrutiny by a well trained stylist who truly knows the whys for using  a certain tool, that scrutiny would show that cut to be inferior.

330mock

2nd that one
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2007 5:18:03 PM
I have been cutting hair for 10 years and I have seen so many blunders walk in it isn't even funny! I believe the mandatory continuing education is a wonderful tool. It is a excellent opportunity to learn and advance in ones field of choice! Trade show are another chance to pick up great tips and and perfect time to see and product in use!

cosmogirl18

Nervous
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2007 7:39:30 AM
I am a senior in cosmetology, and I am getting ready for my state boards. I go to take them in May. I am really nervous about starting in hte real world and having to learn all these new cuts. I hope that I can do it. I know the basic cuts now, so hopefully we will be learning some of the newer cuts soon. But I really enjoyed your post.

Christie

hues4you
Platinum Member

highlandgirl
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2007 7:57:37 AM

Dear highlandgirl

Welcome to the BTC Talk Back Boards!  Please take a few moments to read over the board rules in the green box above.  Nice to have you with us.

330mock

bad habits can be learned also
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2007 8:47:35 AM
Just a word to the wise! I hope you are reading this!!! My best advice to anyone in school or apprenticing is to watch and learn...pay close attention!!! hair movement, angel,& texture all of these things come into play you just have to pay attention! However, when deciding what habits to retain, be selective! Just because someone talks a good game and looks like they are professional, doesn't mean they are.