Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > A Three layer cut
Posted By:
Posted By:annabelle on: 12/28/2005 7:03:22 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: A Three layer cut
annabelle

Three layer cut
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 7:03:22 PM
What's a three layer hair cut and how do you do it? 

JonDavidLopez

Posted: Sunday, March 26, 2006 12:10:18 PM

can anyone else explain this to me.....

Was told by 3 artisitc directors there is no cut  just an all over Layer....

can anyone explain Thank you in advance.

J.Lo

Jon David Lopez 

Licensed Cosmetologist

**Affirmation: Tough times never last,tough people do.

Felixia

What I Learned In Booty Skool
Posted: Monday, March 27, 2006 8:59:19 PM

Annabelle

I am no hair expert for sure, but I am a licensed Cosmo and when I was in school we learned that every time a client asks for "three layers" what you are really going to give them is one layer but the distance from the shortest length to the longest is greater. In other words, they typically just want the shortest layer to be a bit higher than most people might and the longest to be low. So...unless they really want their hair chopped and disconnected into three sections which I suppose is possible but unlikely, it is really one layer that extends down the length of the hair and "appears" to be three layers to the untrained eye. Am I right hair people???

Just a humble makeup artist wanna be...hmm a seven layer burrito sounds good right now

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 10:09:01 AM
This is a description that means absolutely nothing. The client is never able to explain what they mean when they ask for these things, sometimes it's 2 layers, sometimes 4 but normally 3, because they mistakenly think that it indicates something to you about length and amount of layering, which of course it does not. Where would layer 1 begin and end and where would layer 2 end, or begin? It's nonsense... Try instead to ascertain what style the client wants...the finished look, that's the goal, not the number of layers.

mina2
Silver Member

Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 11:51:23 AM
I absolutely HATE it when the client thinks you can "count" layers- makes NO SENSE AT ALL.   Sometimes it makes me laugh.

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 8:59:52 PM
Oh it's hillarious when they do that, usually I assume when they tell me three they want the gypsy cut, however they don't always know how one gets the gypsy cut, and I've often seen a anxious mother when I was trying to execute it, go "Oh my gawd your only giving my daughter two layers."  Even thought that is impossible.

fancee_8

ITS ALL ABOUT EDUCATING YOU CLIENTS
Posted: Friday, May 19, 2006 5:25:16 PM

This question surfaces in just about every salon. The fact is, it is truely impossible to COUNT  the number of layers in a haircut. (not unless you have alot of spare time)  My clients' ask me all the time, can you give me two or three layers?  ( We may find their questions to be somewhat  hilarious, but we as the professionals have to educate them)  Pros, what were looking at here is basically the amount of hair were taking off; where you actually start to cut the layers to the point of destination.  In other words the more hair you remove, the more layers you will receive; the less hair you cut the less layers you will have.

(I hope this info was helpful )

The Best Revenge Is Massive Success!

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Saturday, May 20, 2006 12:24:33 AM
It's not about the number of layers, it's either layered or it's not.

locksylady

Posted: Saturday, May 20, 2006 10:18:54 PM
Yeah, what he said! It's layered or not. layers are defined in may different ways, but I must say that clients think they can point them out by movement or breaks in the weight. I love it when someone that gets an all over layer cut, or a wedged layer asks me to layer their hair more. How do I layer your hair more?& I love the "what about this piece right here" whole bit, when they asked for a piecey layered cut. Remember when Lisa Rinna had her hair cut on Blowout and she styled her own hair?Do you think she asked jonathan about this piece or that one?

jinx731

Layers are not eggs...
Posted: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 8:24:00 AM

We can't order them by the dozens and we sure can't sit and count them one by one. Laymen don't know this however so we must educate our guests, and let them in on our verbage. I'ts ok to actually tech your guests a little something about why you do what you do to them. I let my guests know what I mean by volume, height, depth, I say things like, shimmer, warmth, brilliance, and movement. If we verbally pursued our guests to believe in us &  trust us, it would be most beneficial to us all if we bring the profession bcak to the level of professionalism that  it once was.

I taught at a Paul Mitchell school for three years, and used to tell my students to educate thier guest and they will never leave. Even through the "ah-ha's and so -called mis- takes, share your thought process and vision with them and they will believe in you for life.

Love, Peace & Hair grease!!!

hair2u

Posted: Wednesday, May 24, 2006 11:38:44 PM

Interesting thread.  There are disconnected cuts that look like separate "layers".  And the supposed 3 layer cut (client language) makes sense to me.  I see it as multiple design lines done with horizontal hand positioning. 

Maybe we're the ones getting lost in the language of layers and not trying to understand what the client is meaning.

My take on it......

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Thursday, May 25, 2006 11:21:22 PM

kimtastic

lol
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2006 9:38:03 PM
If anybody asked me for 'three layers', I'd have to stifle some giggles. The very image that conjures up is utterly absurd.

Gardenginger

whack whack whack
Posted: Thursday, January 13, 2011 7:37:10 AM
Sorry, it doesn't work that way.  But, the hair length to begin with will determine how the layers lay.  Yes, this does conjure up ideas of clients thinking we do a whack whack whack to get three layers, hey some might actually like that....

Mann

Three layer what?
Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 2011 4:50:38 PM
Three layered cut can resemble weighted fraction cutting. When you overextend fringe(bangs) in opposing direction and cut your zero line on them you get weighting to the side opposite when released. So if you truly wanted a layer to stand out anywhere on the weighted side of a parting, you would direct hair from just above the parietal ridge, over extend it above the part (not center parted hair) cut your section lifted from parietal to parting in a 45 deg(vs 90 deg) without removing more than 1/2 inch cut at the parting. When the section is dropped back to the parietal ridge, the section beneath the drop line will be shorter and an exaggerated layer will be pronounced from the length at the parting. 1st layer, you must then use your first cut as a guide back to your crown. Be sure to drop out your fringe(bang) section before you begin. 2nd layer would be your match to the parietal cut(short side of top 45 deg) in a 90 deg side cut from parietal to 1 inch above ear. Probably only a 1-1.5 in section, allowing the remainder to be full length to zero line base. Three layers, top pronounced, side 90 deg, length to base third layer. Not unlike an Aniston look. Her's being 2 layers.

Mann

Three layer what?
Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 2011 4:57:36 PM
Three layered cut can resemble weighted fraction cutting. When you overextend fringe(bangs) in opposing direction and cut your zero line on them you get weighting to the side opposite when released. So if you truly wanted a layer to stand out anywhere on the weighted side of a parting, you would direct hair from just above the parietal ridge, over extend it above the part (not center parted hair) cut your section lifted from parietal to parting in a 45 deg(vs 90 deg)  shorter to longer without removing more than 1/2 inch at the parting. When the section is dropped back to the parietal ridge, the section beneath the drop line will be shorter and an exaggerated layer will be pronounced from the length at the parting. 1st layer, you must then use your first cut as a guide back to your crown. Be sure to drop out your fringe(bang) section before you begin. 2nd layer would be your match to the parietal cut(short side of top 45 deg) in a 90 deg side cut from parietal to 1 inch above ear. Probably only a 1-1.5 in section, allowing the remainder to be full length to zero line base. Three layers, top pronounced, side 90 deg, length to base third layer. Not unlike an Aniston look. Her's being 2 layers.