Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > what is the name of the shears ( starts with a Z) that are multi colored) and cost a lot of money
Posted By:
Posted By:salondiva on: 12/9/2005 5:08:23 AM

Display:
Author: Thread: what is the name of the shears ( starts with a Z) that are multi colored) and cost a lot of money
salondiva
Silver Member

what is the name of the shears ( starts with a Z) that are multi colored) and cost a lot of money
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2005 5:08:23 AM
This shear starts with a Z and i saw them at a hair show and the price started at about 125 or so......was wondering if they are worth the price?

kolorkel

Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2005 7:32:59 PM

if you think 125 is a lot of money for shears you have never checked out too many shears before because that is on the lower end of prices for quality shears.   i suggest you not look at price unless you have held this shear in your hand and actually cut a mannequin or even someones hair with them before you buy.  it is very important that you use them and they feel good.  i bought my first pair of shears at a hair show and did not use them there and when i got home and tried them out i cut my hand so bad because the length was totally different than the scissors i had been using i never even gave that i thought.  i purchased new scissors recently because i let some scissor sharping man sharpen my scissors from his van and he jacked them all up, so when you do find a shear you like only send them to the manufacture to be sharpened or they might not be replaceable or even able to be fixed.  my new shears that i have had for about 6 months now cost 475 and they are worth every penny.  they cut today like they cut 6 months ago i love them.  i thought about what Z was and i use to have a pair of Zebra scissors but i dont recall if they were 125 dollars i only used them as a back up pair when i misplace my regular shears or a pair went in to get sharpened

Kel

salondiva
Silver Member

Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2005 4:58:36 AM
I have a pair of Centrix, Joewell, and 3 razors, one is a Feather, one is a Cutting Tool and one is the Carving comb.  I have had the Centrix for 8 years, and the Joewell I got when I registered with Lorealpro.com (which surprised the heck out of me!!) The Joewell are 6 inch shears, and are not offset, I tried for a week to use them cut myself very badly twice, so I don't pick them up now.  They do cut thru hair very nicely (*and skin too).....My centrix have only been sharpened once, and they are 5 inch and those are the ones I use the most......The Z scissors are $250 not 150 like i thought and they are 5 1/2 inch, they do feel really good in my hands.  I as a rule don;t necessarily think that paying a tremendous amount of money is the secret of a good pair of shears tho....Been in this business almost 20 years and have used expensive shears (600 dollars) another stylist allowed me to check them out) and have used cheap shears (under 100 dollars and they worked good too.....I guess it is all in how they feel to you, how well you cut with them and if your clients are satisfied with the results.....and oh yeah,,,,if you can cut with no blood !!!!  Wish i could remember these shears name tho, would like some opinions from those who have used them..

habib
Silver Member

Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2005 6:09:51 AM
zircon? why is that coming up for me? is there a shear called Zircons? If not, sorry I didn't get to be of help.

salondiva
Silver Member

YEAH! I THINK THAT IS IT!!
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2005 8:56:34 AM
i will do a search and see if that is it

sarrah
Bronze Member

Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 7:13:54 PM
Z-Con is a brand of shear. I don't know who they are made by but they are not that expensive.

houseofstyle

Zycra
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 9:31:12 PM
I have a pair of Zycra shears.

locksylady

Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2006 6:20:59 AM
I have a pair made by Zara they are navy blue all the way throught the metal, they were about 400$, but I could't resist, they were so cool looking and comfortable.

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Monday, April 10, 2006 11:27:04 AM

I have had the Centrix for 8 years, My centrix have only been sharpened once, and they are 5 inch and those are the ones I use the most......

Let me get this right...You have been cutting hair with the same pair of scissors for 8 years and sharpened them only once?

This is like saying that you are still running in the same pair of $150.00 running shoes 8 years later. It seems rather a stretch of the imagination to think that any scissors would operate well after all that time.

whynotdye

Posted: Monday, April 10, 2006 3:08:40 PM

Shear sharpening......$20 bucks

Are you trying to cut hair with a butter knife?

mina2
Silver Member

Posted: Saturday, April 15, 2006 8:38:03 PM

lol