Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > Haircutting guide/book
Posted By:
Posted By:thresad on: 11/7/2005 4:44:10 AM

Display:
Author: Thread: Haircutting guide/book
thresad

Haircutting guide/book
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2005 4:44:10 AM
I need to find a good book or guide of some sort to help me stay refreshed and learn the new cuts. Nothing outrageous since I live in a small town. I was looking at Vidal Sassoon Cutting Hair the Vidal Sassoon Way. Not sure that has enough "modern" styles.

optikad

Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2005 12:17:07 AM
Hello in Ohio. There are many ways to find new ideas. Magazines, Internet, Books and Videos. Magazines print each month and fresh often. (sort of) The Web is also great. Matrix has a great site. Many of our clients bring laptops to our salon (free wireless) and show us what they want. I have seen quite a few from this site. You also say "not to extreme" because of your location. But I think thats a opportunity to breath some new life into your scene. It does not mean go crazy and give Grandma a mohawk. But you can introduce elements of "Funner" stlyes into what you do already. Example I was at the Alternative show in Chicago with Students. And a few of them came to me afterwards saying they dont get it. "Why do they do theese hair do's 6 feet high. No ones going to wear that". Its not the point. They are not saying go duplicate this and put it on your next client. The idea is to take the elemnts and make them work for you. You can take the architecture and water it down and make it every day wearable. Also the color schemes can be watered down to be wearable. I think you can take and piece theese elements into what you are doing already. So maybe dont rule out anything. Whats going to happen when you do get someone in that does want somehting New and Modern. You may not know the hair cut but you know the elements of haircutting and could deconstruct any hair cut. Books are great sources of information. Especially if they have step by step break downs. But you will not learn anything until you apply it your self. I would suggest having some classic style books and magazines available for your clients. But also keep something a bit more edgey around also. At least some one might get a laugh out of the crazy haired people. But at least your not limiting your self.
So after all that try theese:
Passion style books
Inspire style books
Manufacturer web sites
Vivien Macender web site
Modern Salon Magazine
Barnes and Nobel, Borders (Book stores)
Book store Magazines they have Imported ones also
Ask your Product reps for books, Collections, and Videos.
Paul Mitchell videos (new realeases about every 4 months)
Ebay
Amazon.com

thresad

Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2005 2:24:59 AM
Thanks I appreciate the reply.

Tre

Posted: Friday, November 18, 2005 1:24:39 AM
Toni and Guy "Classic Cuts". For sale on BTC.