Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > Left-handed tools!!!
Posted By:
Posted By:Sad_Lefty on: 11/2/2005 10:42:31 AM

Display:
Author: Thread: Left-handed tools!!!
Sad_Lefty

Left-handed tools!!!
Posted: Wednesday, November 02, 2005 10:42:31 AM

I am so frustrated.  I am left-handed and I learned to cut left-handed and had I known just how difficult finding cutting tools would be, I would have compromised myself and learned "the right way."  After all, just switching over and being "right" doesn't cause learning or other various mental problems for us lefties or anything.  Ugh.

Anyway, I do have one great left-handed shear (which was twice as much as the same exact model for righties...ugh.) but I have sunk so much money in texturizing razors, and cut my fingers all up whenever I try to use these rediculous tools that claim to work for both lefties and righties.

Wrong!  Just the handle isnt the only issue to make a tool left handed.  The area that protects you righties from cutting your fingers all up is on the other side for me, I instead get a sharp blade facing me with the guard on the other side so the guard is pretty much useless for me, as its useless for my clients to wish to get a quick razor cut without their hairdresser bleeding all over them while she tries to finagle these rediculous tools that foolishly claim to be ambidextrous.

Im positive Im not the only hairdresser in the world who is having or have had such issues, even though right now Im kinda feeling that way given the little market and understanding out there for my needs.  I cut myself up for the last time yesterday, and am bound and determinded I will not touch another razor unless is a truly left-handed tool.  Im at the end of my rope with this crap.

Advice, distributors (again, I need a true lefty texturzing razor, not shears), anything that you might be able to offer that may help my situation I would appreciate it greatly. 

Thanks.

akearns1

lefties woes
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2005 6:29:19 AM

Oh my gosh, you have hit it on the head... Finding the right tools for lefties is impossible!!! The selection of fine shears is atrocious, and it is virtually impossible to find a texturizing shear that will work... I have often thought that if I were going to start another business it would be to design, offer left-handed tools... even my blowdryer's buttons are placed such that I accidentally turn it off as I am blowing because of where my fingers are placed.

What shear do you use? My favorite, and I have gone through many... is a Kasho 5 in.--- Perhaps someday I can try the ONE left handed vanilla shear by Hikari. But it burns me that we don't get the choice of lengths and styles... and that texture shears arent' made for us.

Do you find any styles particularly hard to cut? I have been a stylist for 6 years and still struggle to get a graduated bob perfect, and I know it's because of my hand placement...

turtlegirl

Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 11:31:43 PM
I have the same problems with finding the right lefthanded tools  and I guess it might depend on the razor but I have the feather razor and you just flip the blade around so the guard is facing you.  That way you don't cut yourself and it works better too.