Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > anyone have any feedback about Vidal Sassons cut classes
Posted By:
Posted By:del on: 8/21/2005 10:49:46 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: anyone have any feedback about Vidal Sassons cut classes
del

anyone have any feedback about Vidal Sassons cut classes
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2005 10:49:46 PM
I was interested in taking the Vidal Sasson Barbering 3 day cutting class, and a 5 day Classic Cuts class, as you know these classes arent cheap, so since I dont do mens cut , will the barbering class help me enough, and will the classic  cuts help me improve my cutting skills????????o

HairMaven
Gold Member

Posted: Monday, August 22, 2005 8:28:09 AM
yes

For what it's worth, I've seen stylist that were struggling go to the 5 day class and come back a transformed, confident skilled stylist.

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2005 2:15:19 AM

Del don't bother, it's money (Too much) down the drain. Better to find a real Barber in your area and have him teach you the techniques and let you watch him work for a few days, you'll learn tons more and save your money. The other night I saw a show on PBS called the 1940's house and Trevor Sorbie (whose work and attitude I admire) was hired to cut the participants hair into 1940's styles, He just didn't have it down at all, he tried to Barber the hair but it was a Beautician's take on it, not a pure Barber's.

No Barber cut should take more than 15 minutes to do... at the most, after all, you have a machine to do the cutting, all you have to be able to do is to guide it through the hair..but there's the rub, not many Beauticians are trained to do that well, they tend to be too 'sectional' about it, not 'organic' and sculptural like barbers can do it...

del

mens cuts
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2005 1:27:05 PM
interesting i read your post today, i had a new client come in (female) that is a barber we were taking about mens cuts and she offered me to come watch her . I just want these skills to do the many male walk in clients that I have to send to other salons in the area, when Im available time wise , but cant do mens cuts , I had to turn one away today again thanks for your posts

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2005 11:40:38 PM
There you go Del that's going to teach you far more than a fancy expensive course will. Two things to remember...You'll need to find lots of men who will let you cut their hair and simply practice it over and over, this is a hands-on trade and there's only so much you can learn by watching, just like Beauty school you'll need models to work on. Also...Don't develop a clientele of low- paying men to the detriment of your better paying female clientele, there's no percentage in that. Walk-in's, particularly men, want a cheap cut because they can get that down the street, so think about the financial side of it before you waste a lot of energy and time learning a skill that doesn't pay much. My male clients pay high prices for my time because I offer the type of cuts that they can't get everywhere, i.e. longer styles, they can get a good clipper/ buzz for $10.00 just about anywhere these days, so I don't offer that. Good luck.

JonDavidLopez

Posted: Friday, October 28, 2005 5:32:38 PM
when did Regis Buy Vidal

Tre

Posted: Friday, November 18, 2005 12:30:09 AM
Del, if you just want to get them in and push them out then follow Britboy's advise. However, if you are truly dedicated to learning the art and craft of haircutting, there is no better place than Vidal Sassoon. Also, American Crew has Great and up-to-date barbering classes. Listen, men are'nt flocking TO hair salons and AWAY from barber shops for nothing.

Give it some thought.

del

vidal classes
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2005 4:30:49 PM
that is a good point, I do want to attract higher end men , I have a friend that charges $ 75 for a cut , man or woman, and she has a lot of male clientele, she did highly recomend american crew as well, I think Im going to kick off the new year w/tons of haircutting classes especially for men ,thanks for the post

Tre

Posted: Sunday, November 20, 2005 10:05:00 AM
Good luck Del, your on the right track.

xpressionista

good luck del
Posted: Sunday, November 20, 2005 11:25:59 PM
follow your agenda and still watch your friend.  sassoon will teach you their way, and a little about the business, but your friend will give you the real life experiences that you need to get the money.  youll be in demand and rolling in the dough...

russnyc
Platinum Member

Vidal
Posted: Sunday, June 04, 2006 2:29:38 PM
Britboy is right about the Barbering, You need to just watch a real barber and do a LOT of them, not really take classes. Vidal isn't in the hall of fame for barbering- he was a hairdresser! I learned more watching an American Crew Video. You should also buy an Oster Classic 76 with changable blades or similar clipper, NOT the one that you get in school that have guards!

Cutting? Nothing beats Vidal Sasson. I've seen a 2 day class for under $600 in Chicago. This is less than what You would've spent at the IBS show last month in NYC, counting the hotel...

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Sunday, June 04, 2006 11:35:46 PM

I'm responding to an old post here bit does anyone really believe that walk-in male clients are looking for a $75.00 haircut? I don't. They want a $12.00 cut and if you can't or won't do it, the salon down the block will.

Sassoons are not Barbers, why would you go there to learn Barbering?

lilley76

go for it!
Posted: Wednesday, June 07, 2006 7:47:40 AM
I took a Vidal Sassoon class in cutting last year, although it was the classic cutting, 4 day course. It is great since it's a small class, you get lots of one-on-one time with the educator, you work on live models who are actual clients of the school/salon, and I found the class to be probably the most beneficial one I've ever taken. Yes, ther expensive but well worth it. The educator not only helped me focus my cutting skills and perfect techniques, but even addressed body mechanics (mine and the client), finger/hand control and angles and finishing. Great classes- wonderful teachers!

russnyc
Platinum Member

Vidal
Posted: Tuesday, June 20, 2006 6:51:10 PM
I do plenty of $75. men's walk in clients :o)

No, Vidal isn't "known" for men's haircuts. They are known for seamless ones. You won't find a dent or an edge anywhere in the cut because I take 45 minutes to cut, and I don't rush.

A salon is what you make it.

Anniejet

Where to get Sahag training
Posted: Monday, June 26, 2006 5:05:51 AM

I recently attended the International Beauty Show in Miami and sat in on the Sahag team's class.  This was the thrid time I got to watch them cut and style.  The previous times were at the Premier in Orlando.  The dry cutting technique is different and I would like to add it to my "toolbox."  The problem is that there doesn't seem to be any information out there as to where to get training.  Sahag's website has nothing, there are no books, videos, DVD's etc.  Can anyone help?  Would appreciate any lead.  Thanks

hues4you
Platinum Member

Annejet
Posted: Monday, June 26, 2006 4:39:48 PM

Dear Annejet-

Welcome to the BTC Talk Back Boards!  Please take a few moments to read over the board rules in the green box above.  Sahag has the product line still and the educational team.  And distributors.  Did you try and ask the educational team for information on additional training or DVD's?  Try looking in our salon store above - or contacting one of their distributors.  Look on any educational material you received at that class for a web site or a phone #.  Good luck to you.

Cindy Farr Hester  Asst Moderator

HAIRDRESSER-07

THE BEST
Posted: Thursday, July 06, 2006 3:00:08 PM

I HEARD IT WAS THE BEST OF THE PICKING,YOU LEARN EVERYTHING AND IT'S GOOD AND POSITIVE ASSOCIATION, ESPECIALLY FOR VIBIN' 

HAIRDRESSER-07

hues4you
Platinum Member

Hairdresser07
Posted: Thursday, July 06, 2006 5:49:33 PM

Dear Hairdresser07-

Welcome to the BTC Talk Back Boards!  Please take a few moments to read over the board rules above in the green box.  We look forward to your participation on the boards.

Cindy Farr Hester  Asst Moderator

Mandy1180

Five Day Classic Class
Posted: Thursday, April 05, 2007 9:52:42 PM
I just returned from a 5-day Classic Cutting Course in San Francisco. I had attended a beauty school that didn't have a hair cutting system. We just kind of went at it. Scary, huh? Anyway, I decided to take this course to have a specific way to cut hair and gain much needed confidence. Let me tell you, I am 110% better than I was before hand. It is a fantastic class that will teach you a system, that makes complete sense in every way possible. You are able to work on real, live models not doll heads. Everyday is a new cut and a new head of hair. I thought I would be the least experienced in the class. I was the newest to the business, but everyone was so nice and accepting. If you go to San Francisco, try to take Michael's class. He is awesome!
Let me know how it goes!
Good Luck :-)

Mandy1180

American Crew
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2007 4:15:34 PM
I too, recommend American Crew Cutting Clinic. It is an awesome one day class that will teach you a 5 step approach to men's cutting. It has made cutting men's hair much easier and my males clients love it!