Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > Steps in Haircut?
Posted By:
Posted By:tgaryx on: 8/17/2005 8:55:02 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Steps in Haircut?
tgaryx

Steps in Haircut?
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2005 8:55:02 PM

I saw Jonathan in Blow Dry do a diagonal cut from fringe to back, but he didn't do a diagonal cut...  he cut little 1/2 inch parallel steps from the fringe all the way down; not vertical notches but parallel like a stair step.  Is this something I mistakenly saw or is it something new?

Gambitcool

Posted: Thursday, August 18, 2005 5:58:57 AM
I think he was doing Vertical(nonparallel sculpting)a increase-layered cut.And instead of cutting the form blunt, he was notching the form for a softer line.I could be wrong but thats what it look like to me.

mcoupland
Gold Member

Posted: Thursday, August 18, 2005 8:33:10 AM
Are you sure he was not slide cutting, I learned 2 types one you keep the shears open and slide, the second your sliding and opening and closing he shears as you slide.

Michelle

Don't sweat the small stuff.   

HairMaven
Gold Member

Posted: Thursday, August 18, 2005 7:43:51 PM
What happens is that when you are cutting an extreme angle (short bangs to long length, like Jonathan was doing), it is hard to get your body in a position to cut the same line on both sides of the head. So 'step' cutting (like you saw on the tv show) allows the sides to be layered equally on both sides and since the hair is being brushed back when it is styled you won't see the steps in the layering, it will also allow the layered pieces to separate more than if a straight smooth line was cut.

Does this make sense?

Gambitcool

Posted: Thursday, August 18, 2005 9:35:04 PM
Yah man shorter to longer, the notching softens the line.I think we already said that.Increase-Layering.

HairMaven
Gold Member

Posted: Thursday, August 18, 2005 11:27:04 PM
Gambit....

never mind....

mc
Platinum Member

Posted: Thursday, August 18, 2005 11:47:04 PM
Oh wonders....ANOTHER one

G Crabby ~~~~~mc~~~~~

mcoupland
Gold Member

Hairmaven
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2005 8:22:55 AM
Sounds like the long layers I wor in the 80's  Is it the same as those.

Michelle

HairMaven
Gold Member

Posted: Friday, August 19, 2005 10:32:02 PM
It's pretty much the Farrah Fawcett haircut all over again. The major difference is the modern version doesn't have as much layering around the back of the head.

mcoupland
Gold Member

Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2005 7:17:50 AM

thats what I thought as I had that style for years and years, No my front is thinning and I can't wear it back the same as I did then. Plus my hair is so long now I can't get my self to cut it. I just did a trim last night and that hurt to do ! LOL

thanks.

Michelle

tgaryx

Reply:
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2005 10:41:11 AM
Thanks a mil.