Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > Another darn new student needs help with extra education...
Posted By:
Posted By:anniejak72 on: 8/5/2005 9:30:49 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Another darn new student needs help with extra education...
anniejak72

Another darn new student
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2005 9:30:49 PM

Grrr...going to cosmetology school...it would appear to me that all of the instructors are either A) 500 years old and not up to date with new techniques or B) just out of school and came back to instruct, which I am not knocking, it was what I had had originally intended to do.   The problem is, they've had no behind the chair experience at all...which is where I am seeking help.

My instructors just taught the basics.  The theory is that if it isn't on the state board exam, it is a privledge to even get to learn it.  Good bad or otherwise.  GRRR. 

So now, I'd like to get proficient with a razor, better with scissors and just learn learn learn.  I need help as to where I can take continuing educations classes, or in my case, extra education classes.

AND...as long as I am babbling on, can anyone tell me if they have ever heard of a student platform team, and how to start or join one?  I've bugged the Dean and one of the instructors has agreed to coach, as long as I do the research and put it together.  I'm counting on you guys and hope no one takes offense to this string.  Thanks!

Anonymous

Just a suggestion
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2005 8:12:48 AM

Since your still in school, If you can get enough time, I would find a shop that is looking for a shampoo asst. Then you can be in the tick of the business and watch the good stylists, ask questions every chance you get, then when your at school, if your on the floor, you can test the things your learning, as long as the instructor is OK with it.

Just my 2 cents worth

Mcoupland

Anonymous

Educate yourself constantly!
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2005 4:22:34 PM
I can not tell you how many videos I've bought this year. I just passed my state boards about 2.5 months ago and have been working in a salon for 2 months now. The best education I am receiving is from various DVD's. My favorite video right how is HAIRMAVEN'S Modern Classic series(he posts frequently on BTC). I ordered the DVD's off of his web site and I've been watching them over and over again. I can not tell you how much my hair cuts have improved since using the DVD's. People are requesting me for repeat haircuts already. Russell shows you classic versions of the main haircuts on one video and then the modern versions including razor cuts on the other. I recommend you buy both. I'm so impressed with the videos and the price was great! I also order off of Cobella's site. They are also good videos but expensive and not as much fun as Hairmaven's videos. I'm now waiting for him to come up with some men's cuts DVD's. Here are the links if you're interested:
http://www.cobellavideos.com/nuovo.html

By the way NO I don't work for HairMaven! I found out about his DVD's in one of the forums here on BTC and I was smart enough to order them! I have been practicing his techniques and blowing away my salon team because they know I'm a newby and can't figure out how I'm getting so much better so quickly. They don't seem to be interested in continuing their education thru DVD's - they don't want to spend the money I guess, so I guess I'll keep my little secret and keep getting those requests!
Taya
PS - It takes money to make money - so always reach for more education for the best bang for your buck.

wareagle1977

Posted: Tuesday, August 16, 2005 7:35:03 AM

I totally agree with the previous 2 replies, and I'd also like to add that if you have access to any of your local supply houses/stores, check with them to see if they hold any classes.  I can sympathize so much with your plight....I'm a recent grad myself, and had the same problems.  Also, try to see about joing NCA...since you're still a student, you should be able to join at the student rate (much cheaper).  and once you've joined, you'll get discounted or free admission to shows and classes, in addition to some much needed support.

optikad

I wanna go higher
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2005 11:59:36 PM
Hello this is a reply to your questions on education. You are on the right path already. You have vast knowlage here on this sight. And want more. I remember when I was in School I could not get enough information fast enough. Just wanted to be done already. You should get to know some people who can helpl you. First off who are you local distributers. They often hold in house classes for stlyist and students. Students always get a discount. And do you know who your product reps are that service your school. Many times my reps will bring a student or a stylist from another Salon in with them. Kind of liike a tag along. They get to see many different types of Salons and meet many people who are doing what you want to be doing. It also helps you to see where you may want to end up and gives them a familier face also. So when you come back to interview they may know who you are. In our Salon we offer open doors to any student who would like to come in and help wash hair and Assist stylist. They get a real world experiance and it helps us double book or even triple book better. Win Win. All the stylist I know love to pass on knowledge to fresh students. You keep us going sometimes. We see you and remember the goals and dreams we had when we began. And most have egos and want to show off there best techniques. Just call some Salons and ask the Salon Coordinator if they would allow you to come in and watch, help and learn. Its really a compliment to them. Be proffesional and well dressed. And prepaired to do anything. We hire most people this way. We like to have a realationship months before they even graduate.
Dvd's, magazines, and Internet are also great resources. Ask around. I found out that a Academy I worked for had a Library of videos and Dvd's that no one even used. Most manufactures send videos out quartely with there orders. I started doing a showing of a video 1 hour before school began for anyone to come in early to watch. Plus I enjoy watching them also. Check with your school if they have a library of some sort. Check them out or how ever they do it.
Manequins never complain about being too short or too crazy. Or too blue or green for that matter. You do not have to but the most expensive ones to practice on. Doll heads can be as cheap as $15.00 But I'll bet some where in your school people have left them behind when they finish or drop out. Just make sure they are not some ones before you do anything to them. Be efficient with them plan your cuts from long to short, to get the most out of them. But realize on doll heads the hair line is different than a real head. They are thicker double stitched and stick up on shorter hair.
What ever you do I comend you for seaking to refine your skills and wanting to go higher. We need more driven stylist in this industry. Also remember you have the power to touch people deeply.

hues4you
Platinum Member

optikad
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2005 5:03:32 PM

Dear optikad -

Welcome to the BTC talk back boards!  I can tell you will have a lot to share and I think that is a great thing!

Cindy Farr Hester  Asst Moderator

www.behindthchair.com

MikeyD

Tayalynn
Posted: Sunday, March 19, 2006 11:29:37 PM
Unfortunately Hairmaven's dvds are sold out right now :( Would you still recommend purchasing Cobella's dvds even if you say they weren't as fun? In addition, are they easy to follow as a first quarter student to pick up on? I've already completed learning about hair sculpturing in our program and this upcoming quarter we're moving onto chemical services.

Yah, I was shocked to learn that we were "moving on" and not even revisiting the basic cuts from this point foward. Even more stressful, we're going to be on the floor twice a week in our 2nd quarter. So nervous and wish that our program offered extra cutting class labs in addition to "moving on." My instructor kept reassuring us that we would do just fine but knowing me...I'm mr perfectionist! I'd rather cut and cut until I'm confident that I can blend, cut straight lines, and not be clumbsy at what I'm doing with a clip, comb, shears etc. Plus, I don't want to cut a client's hair straight out of a book. I'd love to learn about updated techniques to superceed the basic cuts you know?

Anywho, I totally feel where you're coming from. I can't stop thinking about learning more. I'm so glad I've discovered BTC let alone the forums! This is so awesome!

Tayalynn
Bronze Member

Posted: Monday, March 20, 2006 4:31:51 AM
MikeyD,
Cobella's are really great videos as well. The reason I like HairMaven's videos is because he teaches all of the basic cuts. Once you learn those cuts you can do anything. I still watch them all of the time and I always catch things I missed before when watching. If he's going to get more in it's worth the wait. Cobella's videos are done more by style then basics. You will learn from them so it's worth picking up a couple.

I understand how nervous you are. I was so stressed out about my cutting. It came together for me however and now I'm working on specializing in cutting. Don't forget to check out Ebay. Do a search for Hair Videos or Hair Books. I picked up 10 VHS's for $15. Some were cutting, some were color. They were used but still very valuable info. Doesn't your school have a library of learning videos? I used to check them out of my school's library all of the time.

Good luck...don't worry it will all come together. Once I turned off my head and turned on my eyes and the art I enjoyed cutting so much more!
Taya

MikeyD

Posted: Monday, March 20, 2006 6:36:07 AM
Woo hoo that's great! Thank you for the advice Tayalynn! I'll take it!

hues4you
Platinum Member

MikeyD-
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2006 4:17:59 PM

Dear MikeyD-

Welcome to the BTC Talk Back Boards!  If you look above on the brown bar on this website you will see salon store.  Please go and browse - there is an amazing collection of DVD's and books for sell.  Check out the Vidal Sassoon new set - it is pricey - but think how much it would be to go to a class and learn that cutting system?  Or go to their school.  From what I could tell it includes all the basic cuts.  Plenty more stuff there too!  Good luck to you.

Cindy Farr Hester   Asst Moderator

MikeyD

Thanks!
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2006 4:25:19 PM
Cindy thank you! I didn't think to browse there, these board tend to get addicting but I love it! We'll do! Mike

hues4you
Platinum Member

Mike-
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2006 4:53:40 PM

Dear Mike-

I understand - glad you like it here.  You will be amazed by what you find there.  Don't forget to take some time to read all the amazing articles on the site also.  So much info.  You are very welcome.

Cindy Farr Hester   Asst Moderator

Yriana

I agree education is important
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 8:10:13 PM

This post was removed. Please do not refer to another fourm.

Elizabeth

elizabethb@behindthechair.com