Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > A Question about sanitation..
Posted By:
Posted By:justme on: 7/20/2005 10:33:41 AM

Display:
Author: Thread: A Question about sanitation..
justme

A Question about sanitation..
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2005 10:33:41 AM

I could not find anywhere that had this topic, but want some other 'professional' advice...

Iwork in a salon w/ 4 other stylists.  last nite I was soaking my hairbrushes in Brush Delight and doing my normal mid week change of barbicide when one on the nail girls walked up to me and said 'wow, you are the only one I have ever seen that cleans their brushes!'  I was like..HUH?  I have worked there for a little over a year and never noticed that I too have never seen the owner, or other stylists soak  their brushes... then the nail tech pointed out something that was gross to me personally, she said..'yeah and you are the only one who has a barbicide jar too. cuz stateboard told them there only needs to be ONE per salon!'

that is LUDICRUS to me! how disgusting. I looked at the empty stations (they had gone home for the nite) and sure enough..no barbicide...brushes with hair sticking out of them...combs sitting next to shears that had little hairs and scalp pieces ready to be used on the NEXT paying customer! YIKES. bad business if you ask me...but hey< I'm just a booth renter...I just wonder, why would someone NOT sanitze...for the safety of you..for the safety of your client..health concerns or just out of respect for that paying client. I know if I went somewhere and a stylist picked up a 'used...dirty' comb and started to comb thru my freshly washed hair with it after it had been raked thru god knows how many heads with scalp and skin and built up gel on it..I would simply get up and leave.

so my question is...am I a germ-0-phobe? or just a responsible stylist who thinks others dirty practices are just wrong?!  I keep barbicide on my station and keep my shears, razors and combs in that...changed bi-weekly or as needed when the 'snow dome' appears

I clean my brushes (I normally use this one big round brush...and I pull any loose hairs at the end of the day..and spray it several times through out the day with spray disenfectant *its a ceramic brush..then at the end of every week I spray them with disenfectant and keep them in a closed drawer all weekend...I do the brush delight cleaning once a week ...soaked for 1/2 hour...ALL brushes.  Clippers and trimmers are cleaned with spray disenfectant AFTER each and every client I use them on....again, I never see them spray their clippers and the only time they get oiled  or wet cleaned is when I have extra left over from oiling/cleaning my clippers....

WHAT is up with these people???? is it me...or is that just GROSS!

I respect my clients and can not believe that some stylists do not even have the desency to care about proper sanitation...

btw does anyone know of this 'one barbicide jar per salon' in the state of florida? I can not believe that would be true...I have ALWAYS had my own..

STate board came in a few months back, but I was the only one there...he went over my station with a fine toothed comb, prolly cuz I was the only one there...he didnt even look in any other drawers or anything. I was in cleaning my station and prepping for my two clients I had come in special for that day. It was a monday and no one else was there. 

Just wondering...

Anonymous

Dry sanitizer
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2005 12:13:24 PM
There are small sanitizer that can be placed in drawers that will kill germs and other stuff, But they should be doing what your doing and if the state board was doing there job that salon would have been closed long ago in my state

mc
Platinum Member

Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2005 8:38:09 PM

State board isn't going to close for that, They'll get warnings and fines first. If you have a "community" barbacide "container" NOT jar, you have the soap too,  and the dry bin, and rinse and get the hair off before they go into either one. You're suppose to rinse everything and remove hair before it goes in anyways.

Foolish man give wife grand piano, wise man give wife upright organ

mcCrab 

cutterinPA

Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 9:09:50 AM

Justme, you are not a germ-o-phobe.

It is like this where I work too, and we work on kids. I am always telling my one coworker about the others who do not sanitize or know how to use the barbicide jars. We certainly have enough of those. I was going to call the Board and ask for a new state law book, but i don't even know if it's in there.

The board was in a few months back and actually passed us. I can tell you this, I am not out to get anyone, but If I were a board member i would have failed the shop I work at.

alesia
Platinum Member

I've always wondered....
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 10:47:56 AM

Just how long are those little drawer sanitizers supposed to last? There is no expiration date and I for one am guilty of using the same ones for years. Even though I cleaned my drawers quite frequently, more than most other people  I've worked with. But very seldem do I actually think that I should be replacing these.

How often should they be replaced? Quarterly? twice a year? Once a month? How long are they effective for?

justme

Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 10:50:27 AM
good question, I too have these stashed in various places in drawers, my cart where I keep hilite and processing caps and a few extra brushes...i have had mine for over a year..are they still effective???

cutterinPA

Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 12:28:43 PM
Those little sanitizers are only effective if there is still product inside. Once it all desinegrates, it is no longer effective.

alesia
Platinum Member

Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 1:48:00 PM
amazing!

Anonymous

Ugh- Disgusting!
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2005 4:07:14 PM
I work in a salon with serious sanitation issues as well. I've seen jars half-filled with cloudy barbiside that obviously hasn't been changed in 7-evers (you should change it everyday). I've never seen anybody even clean the hair out of their brushes. I spray mine with disinfectant between clients and remove all hair from the brush before using on someone else. About once a week or so I take all of my brushes home and soak them in bleach for a few hours then air dry them. I also never see anybody spray their clippers or soak their guards or spray edgers. I have a few clients who I think may have AIDS. I'm not a Dr. but I'm not taking chances. Can you imagine maybe clipping a little mole, picking up blood on your clippers and then using those same clippers on someone who may have a little open wound on their head. I couldn't live with myself for taking that risk. It's selfish and dangerous not to sanitize. But hey, that's just my opinion!

Laura M.

Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 12:54:03 PM
I have found this to be a universal problem. The other stylists at my old salon were always joking about how often I clean my implements. One girl had a NASTY roundbrush full of hair. One day she left it in the break room and I cleaned it for her. She got upset with me becasue she said the brush "worked better" when it was full of matted hair. It was repulsive. I am far from a germaphobe. I just try to think of how I would feel if I were a customer and some one pulled out that brush to use it on me. Yeeech!
The Notorious C-A-T!

habib
Silver Member

Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 1:33:05 PM

ugh!

proper sanitation hardly takes much time at all, I can't understand how some of these people can sleep with themselves at night using dirty tools on their clients!  I have seen some repulsive things in my career span as well. yuck!

makeupmaven

Not just a School problem?
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2005 1:25:32 PM

I guess i assumed that once people got into the salon they became clean all of the sudden. Now i admit I am some what a germ-a-phobe but i go to school with some people who are so unclean it's disgusting. I think out  of a dozen people i have seen 3 including myself clean there stuff. They too pull out burshes with hair and even curling irons with hair stuck to it. Not to mention the other day i was cleaning the facial room and i sprayed down the chairs with clorox and used a towel to wipe it off the towel was black when i was done with just one chair. I won't even mention the dispensary or the ringworm.

MAKEUPMAVEN

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2005 1:55:36 PM
As a germ a phobe (i have OCD) i have to admit that after you get out of school and are super busy you will lose some of that, but i'm still shocked as a former or reformed germ a phobe i like to say how dirty some salons are.  I sometimes like to go to non professional hair message boards, and i'm amazed at some of the horror stories clients tell.  This one lady got some fungus because the clippers used on her were not cleaned properly.  I had two thoughts from that.  One, that's disgusting, two, like habib said, it takes nothing really to keep things sanitized, and further more, what does it take to clean clippers.  As far as i was taught all you do is run oil through the blade.  So therefore, how dirty was that salon and how unkempt was it that clippers would get to the point where they would make someone sick.

kolorkel

Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2005 7:45:15 PM

keep up on cleanlyness because the last laugh is on them when they are getting sued for some funk they have passed to their client because they were unable to remove hair and drop their instrument in some barbacide.  how would they feel if they went on to the dentist and she said her toothbrush worked better with someone else's plaque on it.  YUK

hey maybe it is my OCD but when people leave their stuff lying around at the shop i work at we have a standing rule throw it out.  so if my coworkers dont want to buy new brushes they put them away.  and my boss has a rule ( i booth rent) if she opens our drawers on sunday when she cleans the shop ( which i must say is always clean but she does all the dirty jobs on sunday) she will take out anything that looks dirty and make us pay to get it back, so tell your coworkers to get their stuff together and stop making the beauty industry bad and clean up their act.

Kel

scissorsnip

Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 7:21:01 PM

I thought the dry sanitizers were to keep already clean brushes sanitized.  I too have worked with stylists who never cleaned or sanitized their brushes or combs.  In fact, one particular stylist used 2 brushes and 3 combs.....all day... everyday.  About every other day, she would take one brush and rake it against the other to clean the matted hair.  Can we say EWWWWWWWW?

jinx731

Licensed Educator....
Posted: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 8:07:29 AM

Hello Justme....

I am as appauled as you are at this situation, however not at all surprised. I too work in a salon that does not have a way to reinforce the state board sanitation practices. I have tried to lead by example as I am not one who will preach about "what your supposed to do". To my surprise a few have come around to at least being more concious about their practices. The funny thing is, when we have company over for dinner, we clean like there is no tomorrow. When we have people sit in our chairs, our personal space, it's already imposing enough yet, we don't care what our stations look like, and care more about what we want to do not the client. I have no patience for a salon staff who talks about their personal experiences from the weekend, nor one who will put themselves first.

We are in a service related industry... Service, A lost art...

Shirley Chisholm said " Service is the rent we pay for living on this planet"- I know one thing to be a true fact.... You must clean your brushes after each guest, meaning as soon as she is at the desk to check out your removing any traces of her hair and debris. Then at the end of the night , you truly should soak or at the very least rinse your tools and put back in a sanitized container.

If we start to look at our guests as not only paying customers but as people who ALLOW you to make your heart sing.... Then we would all be rolling in the dough. Telling a guest thank you and complimenting  them after their service will go so much farther than you think...

After all, if your guests aren't happy, neither will you be...

Until next time,

Love, Peace & Hair grease!!!

hues4you
Platinum Member

jinx731
Posted: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 10:28:39 AM

Dear jinx731-

Dear jinx731

Welcome to the BTC Talk Back Boards!  Please take a moment to read over the board rules above in the green box.  We look forward to your continued participation.

Cindy  Farr Hester  Asst Moderator