Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > "Fingerwave" advice
Posted By:
Posted By:PnkCosmo on: 7/10/2005 11:17:09 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: "Fingerwave" advice
PnkCosmo

"Fingerwave" advice
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2005 11:17:10 PM

Ok, when Jonathan's salon did the B. Michael show on Blow Out, they curled sections of hair, pinned them in place, then brushed them out & pushed the waves into place.

Is this the most time-efficient way to get the new "modern" fingerwave look? Or are there easier ways to get the same end result?

TIA

cutterinPA

Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 6:57:03 AM

That was no fingerwave I was ever taught.

I think he makes up things and then places common names on them so they appear familiar to you, when in fact, they have nothing to do with the item itself.

tgaryx

Yes it can be done.
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2005 8:23:22 PM
I have done this method before when in Beauty school.  I did these curls with the curling iron forever since I was new to hair.  I did it til I got sick of it.  Jonathan Antin's way of doing these are a style that I saw in a 70's education book at my beauty school,  except curling with rollers.  They would tease the hair or brush the hair, then push it into the curl pattern.  I'm not an expert like Jonathan, but I have done it before.  It takes the same amount of time if you'd roll someone up and stick them in the dryer and take them out and comb out. 

cosmoteach

also known as skip waving
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2007 2:24:38 PM

The style as described is also known as a skip wave. It is created using alternating rows of pincurls behind a ridge in a fingerwave placement. A alternative style can be created using a curling iron. This technique is known as thermal waving. There are 2 parts of a curling iron known as the rod and the shell. You can create the waves by using the iron in alternating patterns as you move down the hair strand. Place the iron near the scalp with the curved part of the iron shell facing up. Insert the iron into the hair strand and turn the iron towards you 3/4 of a turn and hold for a few seconds. Then turn the iron over so the shell now faces down reinsert the iron and repeat the first processbut this time turn the iron away from you 3/4 a turn and hold for a few seconds. Alternate the waves all the way down to the end of the strand and finish by curling the strand ends under and you will have beautiful waves

hues4you
Platinum Member

cosmoteach
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2007 6:08:58 PM

Dear cosmoteach

Welcome to the BTC Talk Back Boards!  Please take a few moments to read over the board rules in the green box above.  Nice to have you as a member!

Cindy Farr Hester  Asst Moderator

Renzo

RE: Modern Fingerwave Look by PnkCosmo
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2007 6:44:31 PM

The best way to achieve this modern fingerwave look.

Take 1 inch square sections starting in the nape and coil the hair around the iron.  Do not close the iron.  Coil all the hair in the same direction working from the nape up to the top.  Let the hair completely cool down before brushing out all of the curls and push the waves back into shape.  The waves will fall right into place.  Use a wide tooth detailing comb to help get that perfect wave look.

shestylz

need to know basis
Posted: Tuesday, April 03, 2007 7:26:08 PM

I'm a newbie when it comes to fingerwaves, but Im really feeling the 1940's softer hair styles they are so glamorous, and I really want to learn how to do them does anyone out there have any ideas

shestylz

hues4you
Platinum Member

shestylz
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2007 5:56:49 AM

Dear shestylz

Welcome to the BTC Talk Back Boards!  Please take a few moments to read over the board rules.  We look forward to your participation.

Cindy Farr Hester  Asst Moderator

tonic

fingerwaves!
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2009 5:20:58 PM
i have the hardest time in the over direction of the fingerwave! any advice?
 Toni