Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > Help!!! Holes in perimeter of layer cut.???!
Posted By:
Posted By:tgaryx on: 7/6/2005 12:49:19 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Help!!! Holes in perimeter of layer cut.???!
tgaryx

Help!!! Holes in perimeter of layer cut.???!
Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2005 12:49:19 PM

I have a serious problem with cutting long layers..everytime i cut the back behind the ears and beginning of lower neck line, I get a huge hole...from the side view...you see a diagonal line from the bang to the ear..then a huge hole...then the nape.  What am I doing wrong??  Am I suppose to take my diagonal line from the front all the way back or do I stop before the ear??  If I stop before the ear..How do I connect my layers from the front to the back...? Do I start cutting layers from the back or from the front?

When I start from the front I get lots of layers in the back but i wanted short in the front and long in the back. when I start from the back..I get long in the back and long in the front.  But I want short layers in the front...any help or advice.  thanks.  I have books and videos...but they do not show particularly the joining of the front side to the back side. 

statikman1
Bronze Member

Old thread link
Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2005 3:12:56 PM
Here is the link to an old discussion where yours truly schooled the masses. Sorry, you'll have to copy and paste the address as I don't know how to post a real link.
http://www.behindthechair.com/forum/displaythread.aspx?DID=2552

Anonymous

Maybe this will help?!!!
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 12:31:00 PM
I used to do that to so here's what I do. I first cut the entire head in a zero degree to make sure there will be no long scragglies after I'm done with the hair cut.

Next I seperate the back top of the head from mid-ear to mid ear horizontally and from behind the ears across the crown. I save all of that lower back hair and pull it into a pony tail and clip it. Then I start with a guide piece at the crown and only pull up to a 180 the upper half of the back of the head. When I'm done I drop the layers and I try not to blend down into the very bottom layers as that is what causes holes to occur. I find this gives the layers a ton of movement and when dried you have a beautiful thickness in the length but plenty of layers as well. It's really based on the old 80's way of layering but I am finding it the best method to avoid holes and thinning at the lower layers.
Hope this helps.
Taya

cosmoteach

how not to have a hole
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2007 2:35:22 PM

The thing to remember is there is no hair from the ears down to the nape on the sides of the head, so sometimes you have to adjust the finger angle to make sure the interior and exterior guides meet and are where they should be.

Also there is a technique that many people teach called Volumetric or horizontal layers but this technique is not that good for longer hair than the top of the shoulders. Vertical sectioning sometimes is best for longer layers because it is easier to adjust the finger angle when using this technique