Posted By:ChhornS@hotmail.com on: 6/30/2005 5:48:36 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: problem with layer
ChhornS@hotmail.com

problem with layer
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2005 5:48:36 PM

I'm Having problem with layering,

Please help me!

My problem with layer is that blending and not making it look chopped up.Also having problem with the degree I know 45 is short layer and 95 is all the same lenght and 180 is long layer but i can't get the look i wanted please help me!

In need of help Please

mcoupland
Gold Member

Posted: Friday, July 01, 2005 12:17:36 PM

First your sectioning has got to be small and to perfection. Don't take to big a section. With the 45 I was always taught to place your elbow into your waist line. That assure you have the correct angle. work from the bottom up, using the perimeter as your guide. If it is a wedge cut I usually begin to do a 90 degree at the occipital bone. 

With a 90 degree cut again take small sections, use your base line as your guide, and like you said it is the same length that follows the curve of the head. On the band area I usually over direct forward, as to not cut to short. You can always go back and cut more, YOU CAN"T PUT IT BACK! unless you do extensions.

With a 180 there are several variations of this depending on how much layer they want. If your shagging the hair, use your bang area as your guide, if it is longer layers, I usually council the client as to where she wants the shortest layer to be. I then hake the hair from the crown pull it straight up and then lay it against the head in the area where the shortest layer is going to be. Marking it with my finger , that would be your guide. USE SMALL SECTIONS!!!!!!!  I can't elaborate that enough. even if it slow your speed down section section section.

with angeles around the face I slide cut with shears or a sharp razor.

Hope this helps.

Clear your mind, your hind end will follow

ChhornS@hotmail.com

Thank you!
Posted: Friday, July 01, 2005 4:57:38 PM

Thank you for replying

It did help me understand more about layer, but where I work at they don't go by degree. They say that  what I learn in school is the bases and that it makes the layer chop looking and the 180 degree make it look like a mallet where it's short in front and long at the bottom. they said that you should not pull all the hair to the bang and use that as a guide cause it will cause a mallet look. And the 90 degree they say the way the school teach make the bottom look thin like it has a tail.

so I don't know what to do, I just finish school and it's hard

but thank u for replying

Terri