Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > Dry Cutting vs Wet Cutting???
Posted By:
Posted By:pywacket on: 6/30/2005 2:39:58 AM

Display:
Author: Thread: Dry Cutting vs Wet Cutting???
pywacket

Dry Cutting vs Wet Cutting???
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2005 2:39:58 AM
When I first started working at my salon the other stylists looked at me like I was crazy when they saw me do a complete haircut on dry hair.  Now 6 months later everyone in the salon is cutting hair dry like me.  About 90% of my haircuts are done on dry flat-ironed hair with the exception of some short to medium length razor cuts.  I'd like to hear what others think about dry haircutting.  It takes more work having to flat iron the hair, but I think the results are much better than cutting hair wet.  Any opinions or advice?

pywacket

Where can I get those rubber shoulder matts for haircutting?
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2005 3:43:28 AM
Does anyone know where I can get those rubber haircutting matts that rest over the shoulders of the client that enable you to cut long hair at zero elevation without cutting holes into the capes?  Where can I get those and what are they called?  Please help!  I keep cutting holes into my cutting capes. 

rollerpixi

Dry Hair? Of Course!
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2005 3:45:52 AM

On most of my cuts I do at least some form of dry cutting- I would have to say I also do about 90+% of my cuts that way.

Maybe I'm too anal (which I could quite possibly be... I am known to be beyond picky with my work- both a blessing and a curse) but unless it is a clients whose hair I know and can predict, I do not feel comfortable just cutting wet and leaving it at that.  I really like to see the shape the hair is taking and how the cut is working with the hair. 

For me dry hair is the only way to really see where I have too much bulk, if a cowlick is making the hair lie in a funky way, etc.     

alesia
Platinum Member

Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2005 4:05:48 AM

I personally feel that I get a sharper line on wet hair, but sometimes I will go in after I blow dry and cut finishing touches into the hair.

I rarely will do a totally dry cut because I feel more in control cutting wet hair. And I've never had a problem just cutting wet, blowing them dry (or not) and sending them out the door- they always come back pretty happy.

mcoupland
Gold Member

ditto
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2005 9:13:44 AM
I cut wet and then go back after I dry, but it depends on the client and what the end result is. My extension clients I cut dry.
Clear your mind, your hind end will follow

HairMaven
Gold Member

Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2005 10:07:15 AM
The best rubber mat is one made called BobDuo, get the extra long one.

Denman makes one, TiGi makes one. You should be able to find them at larger trade shows at the booths that sell every manner of blowdryer and curling iron 'swap meet' booths. Around $30

pywacket

Where to get rubber mats?
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2005 11:51:44 AM

Thanks for the info HairMaven.  Is there anywhere online that I could order these rubber mats?  There are no trade shows coming around my area for a while and I need them now.

HairMaven
Gold Member

Posted: Friday, July 01, 2005 1:36:19 PM
No luck in finding one online.

You'll just have to wait until a major trade show.

Sorry.

mcoupland
Gold Member

Posted: Friday, July 01, 2005 2:08:49 PM

found some but not sure they are rubber.

www.salonwinexbeauty.com

look under capes.

Clear your mind, your hind end will follow

mc
Platinum Member

Posted: Friday, July 01, 2005 3:16:46 PM
Can't open the site.
mc In The Pool 

Lou

pywacket
Posted: Friday, July 01, 2005 4:35:14 PM

I found this

at the Cameo site, they have more in the catalog that comes in the mail , the site is www.cameobeauty.com

rollerpixi

RE: pywacket
Posted: Sunday, July 03, 2005 9:18:34 AM

Have you looked at the Industry Sources on-line catalog?  You can order one via USPS mail as well. 

I know they have an item similar..... unsure what it is made of though.  I also have seen the TIGI one in the local store.... have never really checked it out though. 

pywacket

RE: rollerpixi - local store?
Posted: Monday, July 04, 2005 2:09:55 AM

rollerpixi, when you say "local store" are you talking about a distributor store for TIGI?  Cosmoprof is the local distributor store for TIGI where I live so I'll have to check it out.  Thanks for all of the info!

rollerpixi

Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2005 6:45:50 PM
Yes, sorry about the confusion.  The Industry Source is our local TIGI distributer here.

PnkCosmo

Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2005 10:51:23 PM

I cut the basic shape of the style on wet hair; then do all of the texturizing after the blow out.

Razor cuts I do on wet hair, with some kind of cutting lotion on. (leave-in conditioner or detangler)

If it's a client that flat-irons their hair a lot, I will cut their hair dry after flat ironing it.

Glenda L

Rubber cutting mats
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 8:08:37 AM

You can find some cutting mats at Wimex Beauty

http://www.wimexbeauty.com

I am not sure if they are the same ones you are looking far but they have 2 or 3 to choose from.  One is the longer version also.

I found their prices to be very resaonable.

Glenda L

molette

Cutting Collar
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2005 3:54:24 PM
Hi,

I found the Bob-Tuo cutting mat, acutally listed as a "Cutting Collar" here;
http://www.salon-collective.co.uk/hair_brushes.php?product_id=2127.
It's in England, but if you can't get to a show, check it out.
I think I will.

MERRY CHRISTmas!

pywacket

Cutting Collar
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2005 4:49:16 PM

Thanks for the info!  I found a Bob Duo through one of the local distributors.  Tigi makes one that you can get at Cosmoprof. 

Thanks again!

mslynn

dry cutting
Posted: Wednesday, December 19, 2007 4:46:14 PM
i prefer to cut the hair wet. you have more control, and also the dry hair is not flying all over the place. i have had to get stitches 3 times in my years of being a hairdresser due to this. so i won't cut hair dry unless it is to clip something i missed after i finish a cut.