Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > Long Layers Jonathan does on "Blow out" ;-)
Posted By:
Posted By:holli007 on: 6/29/2005 6:09:55 AM

Display:
Author: Thread: Long Layers Jonathan does on "Blow out" ;-)
holli007

Long Layers Jonathan does on "Blow out" ;-)
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 6:09:55 AM

Hi all,

Does anyone have the inside scoop on his long layered haircut?  Also, besides this wonderful site...What is the best way to find the most inovative classes around etc..etc...

Thanks! 

mcoupland
Gold Member

Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 8:03:01 AM
what is his site address?
Clear your mind, your hind end will follow

HairMaven
Gold Member

Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 9:49:53 AM
What do you want to know about the haircut? It's very simple and a version of a 70's "Farrah Fawcett" haircut. 2 steps.

1. Cut your perimeter length.
2. Pull all the hair forward and cut everything the same length. If the hair is really long, angle from your shortest point at the bangs and pull the hair sideways around the head instead of over the top of the head... does that make sense?

His website is www.jonathansalon.com (i think).

HairMaven
Gold Member

Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 2:04:22 PM
I'll try to shoot a quick video demonstrating how to do this haircut this weekend and post it to my website. I'll let everyone know when it's up.

HairMaven
Gold Member

Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 2:09:40 PM
How sad is it that I'm spending my lunch break here on the forums! HA!

Actually, I'm just trying to pad my post numbers so I can catch up wif hot_locks and Britboy!

hot_locks
Platinum Member

Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 2:20:11 PM
lmao.. hehehe

holli007

Thanks!
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 3:01:59 PM

Yea, I figure if ""Jonathan's "doing it, it can't be that difficult! HA HairMaven, will you let me know if you get that up on your site....I know I should know this but what is your site?

Thanks guys!

mc
Platinum Member

Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2005 12:32:19 AM
LOL holli- It doesn't take much education past 300 hours in school to be able to do that cut. I want to see him doing more technical cuts....like Bob's. LOL!!!
mc In The Pool 

Lou

convex cutting
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2005 5:53:39 AM
can anybody explain me how to do this? somebody try to explain it to me but I didn't get it, I'm very visual, but maybe if somebody can explain it in their own way I'll understand it better. Thank's guys

mcoupland
Gold Member

hairmavin
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2005 9:22:22 AM
I did not see the bangs connect with the layers like the old 80's cut ( I wore that cut for years.) I saw a longer layer in the back starting at the occipital bone down, when he compared his cut with the freak ed out guys cut. I saw a blending of the front , but I did not see it going from the4 bang line all the way to the back like a shag cut. But I was looking at the back, not the mirror and the front of the cut. I also noticed he kept pushing the back of the hair forward from the back to make it look fuller.  Just my observation.

HairMaven
Gold Member

Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2005 10:39:12 AM
He keeps pushing the hair forward in front of the shoulders to keep the cut from looking mullet-y. With they way he layers the hair around the front of the face, it's real easy to cut A LOT of hair off around the face and not have a perimeter shape in front of the ears.

The layering blends, sometimes he doesn't cut bangs, and maybe the girl had bangs when she came in and they didn't want to layer it that much.

mcoupland
Gold Member

Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2005 11:27:13 AM
now I understand why the extension girl looked like a mullet. Partly because they should have used more extensions, or he cut to much hair in the front. that was not a good extension job in my eyes

HairMaven
Gold Member

Lou
Posted: Friday, July 01, 2005 1:35:00 PM
Be more specific about "convex" cutting and what you don't understand and what you do understand. I'll try to help.

Lou

Hairmaven
Posted: Friday, July 01, 2005 5:03:10 PM

This is the explanation I saw:

"this is a very common problem with thick hair, you end up with the beagle ears or a cut that looks like you have two cuts on top of each other and they don't blend.
CONVEX cutting is the way to go, here's what you do:
Take the heavy side, from the part line to the peek of the parietal ridge (pretend you are making a part on the other side), now if she parts on the left side, come over to her left side and bring that whole section over with you- you are overdirecting that whole piece to the left side, comb it smooth into your fingers, holding the piece in your left fingers
(if you're right handed), now start from the bottom, making sure the bottom on the piece is IN FRONT of her shoulder, that bottom piece will longer and as you cut upwards the part in front of her nose will be the shortest, so the angle should look like this / with the top part shorter getting longer as you get to the bootom , do NOT cut it like this \, that's a mistake and will give you what you already have.
So if you are in front of her, bring that hair forward and cut it so it's shorter at the nose and getting longer towards her shoulder and that will be correct and that is called CONVEX cutting. Now you need to do the opposite on the other side, just remember that you need to stand IN FRONT of her shoulder and bring everything over from the light side part over to the right side where you are standing- when you cut the left you are on the right, when you cut the right you are on the left bring the hair over directed towards you. "
 What I don't get is where she says to start at the bottom and that the bottom piece be in front of her shoulder, Which one is "the bottom of the piece"? Am I bringing that section around the top of the head? or bringing it towards me? or right in front of her face? when she says to cut it shorter at the nose makes me think that I should bring the whole piece right in front of her face but I'm not sure?

Please help me, please, pretty, please??

HairMaven
Gold Member

Posted: Friday, July 01, 2005 9:22:59 PM
Dare I say it??? I dare..

I would say that who every wrote that explanation has no technical idea of what or why they do what they do.

Convex cutting is the idea of cutting curved shapes in to the hair shape. This can be done in one of two ways. The first and most simple is to actually cut a curved line into the hair section. This would most easily be done using a curved scissor. The second is done by taking a large section and using the head shape to curve the resulting cut line by warping the section across the head. For example, if you section the head into 4 sections (center part to nape, quarter part ear to ear across the high point of the head), taking the front right section and comb the entire section up across the head over to the left ear (this is extreme but for example only) and cut, the line that you cut into the section will be curved, hence "convex" to be 'fancy'

When you are cutting curly hair you have to be very clean with your sections and cut lines and balanced layering that fits the head shape. Anytime the hair is longer on top than the bottom you will get lumpy curly hair.

I guess the 'convex' description was trying to get you to cut the top layers shorter than the bottom layers?!? It was undecipherable.

hot_locks
Platinum Member

Posted: Friday, July 01, 2005 9:30:57 PM
lol

holli007

What the................
Posted: Sunday, July 03, 2005 4:10:36 AM

Well, I may be new...... but what the heck Lou?#$# ;-)

Anyway, MC...Bobs are certainly "HOT" for 2005...LOL

Lou

Thank's HairMaven
Posted: Sunday, July 03, 2005 12:21:49 PM
Now I get it, I knew I could count with you!! By the way, I'm still waiting for your videos to be back in stock.