Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > Curly and straight hair
Posted By:
Posted By:tgaryx on: 6/18/2005 9:21:23 AM

Display:
Author: Thread: Curly and straight hair
tgaryx

Curly and straight hair
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2005 9:21:23 AM
How do you cut this type of hair? A client of mine came to me while I was in beauty school.  It bothered me that I chopped it up into a christmas tree.  And she didn't mind.  Her hair had a natural wavy curl from ears to top of her head.  From below her ears in the back and down was long fine STRAIGHT hair.  How weird?  She had a layer cut before and said that she didn't like it because she pushes all her hair forward, and she doesn't like the long parts that fall like tails on her shoulder.  THe way she wears her hair was like no hair falling behind her back..almost like two ponytails coming into the front.  It looked like she had a stacked haircut because of the curls. like a 45 degree layer cut. So I gave her a 90 degree cut.  It came out the same way she came in.  I took off 3 inches from her 14 inch hair and now you can really see the long straight pieces from the back which she didn't want.   What technique should I have done what did I do wrong?

HairMaven
Gold Member

Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2005 1:12:56 PM
When your cutting this type of hair it's all about trial and error. You try something, determine if it worked or not, and then modify your approach.

Sounds to me like you need to do 2 different haircut for her hair. Cut the curly hair first and then cut the straight hair to match the curly hair.

hot_locks
Platinum Member

Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2005 6:59:09 PM
Wow.. what a pain.  I say slither it (slide cut or how you want to call it) without cutting into the curl too much... It will shrink up like Peter Frampton- ugh.

belladonna

cut
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2005 1:51:47 PM
i totally agree when cutting with two diffrent textures especially this one ... cut the hair at a 90 degree and slithering it as you go..what you do is when your done cutting one section of of her hair at a 90 degree. pull the hair up to a 180 degree and slither it. dont cut the hair in but kinda slice it by  pulling the hair up and sliding the shears at the ends of the hair .. this tends to make the hair like it has a home and will fall  into place versios the chopped diconnected cut that she so was not looking for... i hope this helps!

tgaryx

curly and straight hair
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2005 4:34:55 AM

it sounds good.  Would thinning the hair with razor or shears make it not look so poofy?  The interior of the head was poofed because the long straight hair in the back made it look weird.    Almost like an octopus...with long tentacles..  God bless her though..where ever she is.  I couldn't lose that much hair if it were on me.

God bless you guys too for giving me some advice. 

mcoupland
Gold Member

Curly, course, thick hair
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2005 9:11:45 AM

Hi all I just acquired a new client . 13 year old girl with the thickes, wavy curl course hair. Very dry. The length was almost to the mid back in the back. and she has been wearing a mullet. layered and very short to the ears and then a long layer to the back. I took about an inch from the front, and yes it stood straight up in the front. I used the thinning shears on the ends in the front, and a razor comb through the back. She would like to go short, but I explained to her mother her hair is proubly going to get fuller the shorted she gets , unless we do a straighter first. Anyone have any suggestions on styles that I can find, as most of my books and mags all have models with the perfect hair.  I am willing to learn the straighter service, but her mother is a bit concerned with her only being 13 years old. Truly her hair is so thick it is hard to shampoo to the scalp. I did 2 clairifing shampoos and then one for curly hair, then a heavy conditioner I left on for 10 min. then I added after party, to soften her texture when I dryed it.  Any suggestion would be great.

Thanks Chelle

Clear your mind, your hind end will follow

hot_locks
Platinum Member

Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2005 7:08:56 PM

she should grow that front out.... lol

then you could use a relaxer or straightener to loosen the curl.  YOu don't have to take all the curl out if they just want it more manageable.

mcoupland
Gold Member

Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2005 12:57:03 PM
No you don't understand when I saw her her bangs where almost to her chin if you pulled then straight. They puffed out about 3 or 4 '' from her face. Thick like a horses tail. ( if you have ever felt one) I had thought about a perm to straighten, but like I mentioned her mother is hesitant being she is only 13, and I'm not sure a perm is going to be strong enough to relax this. I'm in the mist of getting info for opti smooth since I have another Italian woman that is wanting to go straight. So I am training my self to do the services. I'll proudly use that if her mother will let her do a chemical service.
Clear your mind, your hind end will follow