Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > Cutting curly hair for the first time...YIKES!
Posted By:
Posted By:holli007 on: 5/11/2005 6:41:48 AM

Display:
Author: Thread: Cutting curly hair for the first time...YIKES!
holli007

Cutting curly hair for the first time...YIKES!
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 6:41:48 AM

Well, I have a referral and apparently someone informed her I was "GREAT" at cutting curly...Don't know where that came from b/c I have NEVER cut curly hair...I am new and been on the floor for a few months...Anyway, from what I understand it is better to cut dry....Would it be Ok to use a razor and cut it wet ?  Or will that wreck the ends?....I figured you could get a better end result using the razor...possibly twisting the hair and cutting some parts too....Bottom line, I am a bit scared maybe I will just do some round layers and call it a day?  Any advice is apreciated!

Signed,

SCARD  

coloru2
Silver Member

Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 7:04:49 AM
I know a little that I can pass on...don't use a razor, and cut it dry only if they wear it straight. If they wear it curly most often, then cut it wet. Just keep in mind the shrinkage factor is more than in straight hair.

mc
Platinum Member

Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 7:36:07 AM
You'll be fine. Hair is hair. Curly, straight, frizzy. Fear is all in your head. Just do your consultation be sure of what she is looking for and go. You can cut it dry, straight, or wet, doesn't matter, I do it all 3 ways, just depends on the hair, how much there is and how they style it. If it's easier to work with wet then wet it, if not then don't. Just remember that for every inch that you cut it's going to raise up 3.
mc

hot_locks
Platinum Member

Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 9:27:05 AM

Most of the time I cut curly hair- I first cut wet-

a razor if used properly is great because it makes the ends of the curl more pointed and not boxey.

I also blowdry straight (difficult curly hair) to ensure that the cut is completely even.  Hair that is inanely curly is often hard to keep track of your guide.

mc
Platinum Member

Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 10:14:30 AM
I had a client with "ALL THAT HAIR" and curly curly curly. The besy way that I found was to wet it and repair and shine...and start with the mohawk and go from there.
mc

holli007

Thanks all! the cut was a success!
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 12:52:33 PM

I actually cut it wet, flat ironed it (I have no idea why I felt the need to flat iron) to make sure it was straight.....that took FOREVER..But, the end result was a plus....However, I think I am over curly hair....it is exhausting!!!! 

GREAT feedback! I took everyone's advice and rolled with it........

HairMaven
Gold Member

Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 5:46:25 PM
The thing about cutting curly hair is that you have to be very precise when cutting. Sure the curl will hide a lot of mistakes, but these mistakes will affect the silhouette, and create a lump. Lumpy hair is never cool. So take your time and resist the urge to do a imperfect cut. The more even and smooth your cut lines are the smoother the curly hair will fall and react.

coloru2
Silver Member

Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 11:14:01 PM
The best curly haircut I ever saw was at a Ouidad class. They "sculpted" rather than cut, and only cut on the downward end of the "c" shape. It was different that just a regular cut, but it looked great when it was done.

holli007

Once......
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2005 2:42:37 AM
I saw an old instructor of mine twist the hair and cut it in sections......That turned out pretty good as well.....

JD
Platinum Member

cutting curly hair
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2005 7:27:47 AM

Hello,

The most important aspects of cutting surly hair is

do not stretch it when it is wet.

curly hair does not curl when drying in the same pattern all around.

"A life. Like a camera, cannot produce clear results without focus"

hot_locks
Platinum Member

Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2005 7:48:44 AM
eh?

JD
Platinum Member

eh?
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2005 6:21:57 AM

Hotlocks~ hmmm re read my post.lol

I meant to say that curly hair springs up shorter when dry....

"A life. Like a camera, cannot produce clear results without focus"

hot_locks
Platinum Member

Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2005 8:24:06 AM

"curly hair does not curl when drying in the same pattern all around."

I had to read it so slow.... I get it now, because you explained it.  Otherwise I would still be lost  :)

mc
Platinum Member

Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2005 11:26:30 AM
Makes more sense now. LOL
mc

Christian

Re:Cutting curly hair for the first time...YIKES!
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2005 10:41:15 AM

June's issue of American Salon has an article on page 63 & 64 titled "Tender Loving Curls". In the article, Lorraine Massey, of Devachan Salon in NY, discusses tips on how to handle curly hair. The article is extremely informative on how curly hair works and how to work it. A few points discussed include "Never Use Shampoo, Never Cut Wet, & Never Use a Razor."

In the article, Massey explains that while one should shampoo hair, those with curly hair shouldn't use shampoos with detergents in them, as this dries curly hair out. Since curly hair tends to be drier by nature, detergent shampoos can cause frizz.

She also explains that when cutting curly hair, one can't get a true read on the hair when it's wet. She then explains that "using a razor on curly hair is probably the worst thing you can do to curly hair." She states that the ends are fragile to begin with and that the razor can cause fraying. For more information on this article, or to check up on past articles, visit: http://www.americansalonmag.com

June's issue is not on the website as of 6/5/05, however they should have it up and available soon, I'm sure. Best of luck with your endeavors.

hot_locks
Platinum Member

Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2005 10:50:19 AM
What are they supposed to do, have stinky hair?  I guess there are a few with no sulfate that they can use.. but please!  I use a razor all the time and it's great on curly hair!  The razor must be sharp and new- some stylists don't change their blades often enough which can cause the hair to split.

holli007

Razor and curly hair
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2005 1:30:07 PM
I have to agree with Hot_locks...I used a razor (new ofcourse) and it looked great when I was done.....?  The lady had very sprial curly hair...Maybe that is why?  Anyway, I am all about the razor these days...cuts down on my time tremendously...Also, anyone got any good ways to face frame?  I feel like I am doing the same ol' same ol....Hope you all have a great week!    

mc
Platinum Member

Posted: Monday, June 06, 2005 8:58:00 PM
Ahhhh maybe it is SHE who can't cut with a razor. I have no problems: wet, dry, curl, no curl, When you know how to use your razor you don't have these issues in the first place.
mc In The Pool 

alesia
Platinum Member

Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2005 4:59:54 AM
It's very important to always use a sharp blade. Change the blade often.