Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > A problem im having
Posted By:
Posted By:chrisc1667 on: 3/29/2005 10:38:16 AM

Display:
Author: Thread: A problem im having
chrisc1667

A problem im having
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 10:38:16 AM
been a hairdresser out of school since august of 2004, went through training with the salon i work at. Finished the classes, now i seem to be having issues with mens cutting, i feel as though im strong with it, but the clients dont seem to be happy. i've recived 2 complaints so far, wanting a redo, and i womens haircut. need advice, is this normal to have troubles in the beginning, its really getting me down, and i dont know what to do. feel as if i shouldnt be doing this, even though i love it, i dont feel like im any good. any advice is helpful

coloru2
Silver Member

Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 6:59:56 PM
I think you are just experiencing normal growing pains. But then again, getting complaints is something even seasoned stylists get.Even though we never ever want complaints, it's gonna happen anyways. Most times, if a client isn't happy, they just won't return. So we never really know the true volume of complaints out there. You need to ask your boss for her opinion, she sees the clients and knows your skills. She can better read the situation. But, remember, you are a newbie, and will be for at least another 2 years. Keep training. A lot of salons keep newly licensed stylists as apprentist for one or two years. Maybe you just went on the floor too soon? Ask for some honest feedback from those in charge and heed what they tell you. Good luck.

hot_locks
Platinum Member

Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 7:12:06 PM

Take the complaints seriously and try to improve on what you think the problem is.  If I were you, I would seriously consider assisting a successful stylist to watch and learn so that you can do the same!

Are you working in a chain salon?  (ok nothing against chain salons ahem).  Is there someone in your salon that is really good... booked up and gets no complaints?  Ask to watch them while they cut...  maybe you can see what they are doing that you are not, or vise versa...

chrisc1667

Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2005 10:38:16 AM
i guess the problem im having with this whole this is this. was the haircut really a bad haircut or was it just not what the client was looking for. do you all feel i should be disiplined for this, i no longer can do mens work because of this, and they took away one of my days, they also want me to go through the entire menswork classes again. what do you all think.

hot_locks
Platinum Member

Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2005 2:07:20 PM
I would consider working somewhere else.  Discipling someone is not the way to help them learn... Yeah you messed up, but as an owner I would show you what you did wrong and help you get better.  Lowering your self esteem by taking away days is not going to make you better.  They suck and you should go elsewhere where they are compassionate and willing to help you!

HairMaven
Gold Member

Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2005 3:52:02 PM
WORD!

I'm with HotLocks on this.

mc
Platinum Member

Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2005 4:37:32 PM

Disiplined? Are you 4 now??? Your boss is an idiot....

Well let's go back now. How long was your "training"? How many days did you actually do hair services on people or mani's? Was this a hands on trainer who can actually "teach" or some schmo barking orders- so to speak?  Was there a certain number of services that you had you complete "correctly" before your training was complete? Was it one-on-one or out on the floor? Were you taught 'why' this and that has to be done in a certain way to make the finish?

....Sorry for all of the questions, I'm just trying to figure out how you were trained. Men's cut are one of the easiest "IF" you are properly taught how to do them. Everybody has flops or clients that "don't like this" for whatever reason. SH!T HAPPENS! Tis' no body perfect.... except RC of course but that's a whole different world of thread. (LOL vallygrrl). Skill comes in due time and perfection is in the eye of the beholder, of course now it's a lumpy road sometimes. You can have the perfect cut style or what not and Sally hates it and b!tches up a storm about nothing. These 3 cuts...were you shown what the problem was and had it explained how to correct it? Or just..  "i no longer can do mens work because of this, and they took away one of my days"?

mc

alesia
Platinum Member

Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2005 5:03:00 PM
How the heck can you learn how to do men's cuts if they won't let you do them? Find another place that will take the time to help you learn. Your boss is more than an idiot.

mc
Platinum Member

Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2005 5:07:22 PM
LOL! alesia. I was thinking the same thing. Men's cuts pretty much finish the hair on the mani.
mc

chrisc1667

Posted: Friday, April 01, 2005 4:47:32 AM

the training within the salon for mens work was like 6 months long. no maniquin work, all live models.

one of the 3 haircuts which were complaints its was a short military style crewcut, high and tight. this was the first time i ever did this haircut, or attempted this haircut. i was so nervous the client requested someone else complete his haircut, which i guess was probally a good thing, this  probally would have been a bad haircut if i finished it, but i never was taught a mens haircut that was this short. what do you all think.

how would you all go about leaving the salon, i was just going to tell them its time for me to move on, and the salon is not meeting my needs. i wasnt going to mention the haircuts. what do you think.

hot_locks
Platinum Member

Posted: Friday, April 01, 2005 6:42:44 AM
Don't say anything yet... because they will give you the boot.  Start looking around.  I think you should assist.  Find a successful busy salon.  In a high end salon  you will make more as an assistant that you will as a stylist in a salon that doesn't charge as much and more than likely there are people there that know what they are doing!

chrisc1667

Posted: Friday, April 01, 2005 7:29:46 AM
well i have been looking into another salon, they are bigger, they have 4 salons in the area, my friend works at one of them and loves it, shes always busy. i interviewed already, im interviewing with one of there top stylists on sat morning. so i think that will work out, seems prominsing. so what do i do about leaving the place im at now. please reply.

mc
Platinum Member

Posted: Friday, April 01, 2005 9:50:30 AM

Wait until you have the other job...unless money isn't an issue for you. DON'T count your chickens before they hatch. If it looks promising go for it. It's Friday, one day isn't going to kill you.

If you are having problems with crew cuts, find some kids in the neighborhood with that cut and talk to their parents. If these boys are anything like my son they won't care, they'll just buzz it anyways if somethings off a little. It's hot out and the buzz will be back soon enough.

mc

hot_locks
Platinum Member

Posted: Friday, April 01, 2005 6:16:27 PM
yes.. find people to practice on.  But as far as what to say to the owner of the place you are now.  Be honest.  Say I know I am not the greatest stylist-yet.... but I am trying.  By cutting my hours and preventing me from working WITHOUT SHOWING ME what I did wrong and not helping me I am forced to go somewhere where I will be taught how to get better.  They have a right to know why you are leaving.. maybe it will open their eyes and they will change the way they treat and teach people-maybe it won't, but there is nothing wrong with being honest.  Say you truly want to learn and get better, but they are not helping you in that area so this isn't the place for you.  Good luck!

irishroyal
Bronze Member

Classes
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2005 2:03:24 PM

If you can try to take some classes in your area. Matrix has a great porgram called CRAFT and you can download the CRAFT Manual on their web site Matrix.com, log into the pro side, go to the home page and click on Discover Matrix Education and at the bottom of the page is the link to download the CRAFT Cutting & Coloring manuals.

I would also recommend that you go to a barber and ask if you can watch them and ask questions, they can give you a lot of tips on mens cuts.

You can get mannequins on e-bay for a cheap price and practice, but go to your local distributor store and get their class list and take some and then start practicing. Good Luck!

- Masg Kavanaugh 

Christian

Re:A problem im having
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2005 11:10:41 AM

If I were you, I would definitely look into another job with a high-end salon that requires you tech first. Salons such as these generally have excellent educational opportunities for you as a stylist that will build upon the foundation for which you established in cosmetology school.

Someone had mentioned finding people to practice on. While this certainly has its advantages, I wouldn't practice on anyone before you've learned the proper technique(s) for doing the cuts you've problems with. Even after you've learned them, I suggest you purchase a few mannequins. Better yet, if your cosmetology school is close by, I would contact them and inform them of your dilemma. I'm sure they would be more than happy to show you how to handle the cuts you've problems with. After all, their reputation is on the line. If you don't do well, they look bad. I'm fixing to graduate from cosmetology school myself, and fortunately, my school offers continuing education even after graduation at no cost to the stylist. They believe that furthering one's knowledge is key to success in this industry. I hope the school you attended has something similar in the works.

One last thing that I just considered. If possible, contact your former school and see if they've any available mannequins you can have for free to practice on. I know our school often has mannequins that are left behind by previous students or dropouts, or they've no use for them due to procedures done to the mannequins yet they still have hair that can be cut off. If you've problems with high & tight cuts, the mannequin will not have to have much hair to work with. Once you've practiced and feel comfortable doing doing these cuts, I would then offer to do them on people for practice.  Best of luck!!!

Tien

Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 9:44:19 PM
talk to the unhappy clients kindly and sincerly, ask them what's wrong. you can't win them all. I've worked at some of the best salons in my area, got highly praised from the best. Even from a highly accomplished stylist who was a vidal sassoon instructor at 16, and successfully owned his own salon in Paris at the age of 22. Telling me I could compete with his level of men's cutting. He charges $55 for men's haircuts in a bad area where people start complain about the prices at $25.

I had few pissed off clients before, wanting me to do things that looked to me as very tacky. like not doing a clean blended fade, like in many cheap hispani c salons mostly where I see it, where they take the clippers and flick and turn their wrist while stationary to create a deep arched shape into the fade.

To evolve you must find your mistakes, and adapt. Always take constructive critism well, and you'll go far as long as you learn from them.

Yriana

search on line
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 8:08:57 PM

This post was removed. Please do not refer to another fourm.

Elizabeth

elizabethb@behindthechair.com