Posted By:
Posted By:shearkrazy on: 3/10/2005 5:43:48 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: tapering
shearkrazy

tapering
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2005 5:43:48 PM

Hi all,

I have a question concering tapering.  I have been reading some articles about tapering above the ears and around the back of the head.  Is this just a deep point cut?  I have been dying to go do some cutting classes, but no one in my area is having any until September.  I don't know if i' m just not familiar with this technique or it was called something else when i went to school.  Any help would be appreciated.

hot_locks
Platinum Member

Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2005 8:22:56 PM

Tapering means the hair is shorter and shorter the closer it gets to the hairline.  Tapering above the ears and around the nape can be done by using blending shears-over comb- and blend into the hair above.

Sorry, I don't explain things as well as I can do or show.

JD
Platinum Member

hair tapering
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2005 9:36:03 PM
If you get the Modern salon Magazine, look on page 120. It give a great detailed description of a man tapered cut using clipper over comb and scissors for the interior.

"A life. Like a camera, cannot produce clear results without focus"

shearkrazy

Posted: Monday, March 14, 2005 9:38:31 AM

What about tapering on a woman where the hair covers the ears.  Ive seen this in a magazine and it looks like it has just been deep point cut

HairMaven
Gold Member

shearkrazy
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 5:55:18 PM
"TECHNICALLY" what you are talking about is not tapering. Trade magazines will print all kinds of ill information...

True tapering is when you are cutting short, short hair that is longer towards the top of the head and gradually gets shorts around the hairlines. A true taper will be so short around the hairlines that you cannot pick the hair up with anything but the comb..

When the hair gets longer in overall length, it no longer is a "taper" but "graduation". Easy way to think about it, if the hair is shorter than your fingers it's tapering, if the hair is longer than your fingers you are graduating.

HairMaven
Gold Member

shearkrazy
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 5:58:22 PM
What you are talking about with the deep point cutting isn't "tapering" the haircut but "tapering" the ends. It could be a VERY VERY loose definition of the word. The idea behind this type of cutting is that you can keep longer hair overall and cut large weight removing gaps in the haircut shape and cause the shape to collapse.