Posted By:
Posted By:tdub on: 2/19/2005 7:52:39 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: need some tips on extensions
tdub
Bronze Member

need some tips on extensions
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2005 7:52:40 PM
my photo shoot is coming up next sunday. I'm putting extensions in my models hair, I have no idea what I am doing. I bought really nice italian hair, 100% human. I am planning on gluing them in since it is only needed for a few hours. I got two different colors. one to match her natural, and another auburn blend, to use as highlights. my end result will be long and full with cascading waves. her hair is almost to her shoulders. I'm not sure how to place the two colors to make them look natural. her main color is about a level 4.

I know that I need to cut them to fit the different parts of her head, right?? and then I glue the track as close to the scalp as possible without touching the scalp. some tips would be helpful to prevent any mishaps since the shoot is at 12:00 noon, and I don't want any surprises. everyone is telling me it's really easy, but I am so nervous something is going to go wrong. like a track falling out in the middle of the shoot.

any help would be great, thanks!

AMI
Bronze Member

this s%#@ takes alot of time ...make sure you are giving yourself
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2005 9:19:09 PM
plenty of time to put the extensions in. Then you have to style her and make her look sexy hot for the shoot to ? All The same day? YIPES!Can you do her extensions ahead of time or are you having an assistant help you ? ( pleasesay yes)

tdub
Bronze Member

Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2005 9:45:11 PM
no, I don't have any help. I'm having her come in the day before to color her hair, and do a practice run on the makeup. the day of, I'm having her meet me early in the morning at the salon. so I have to put in the extensions, trim them to suit the style, and curl with an iron. then makeup and clothes. the shoot is about 40 min. from the shop, so I need to leave at 10 till eleven to get there a little early.

I didn't think that gluing them would take as long. I thought I'd only need two or three rows to fill out her style.

you are freakin me out. thanks.

HairMaven
Gold Member

tdub
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2005 11:11:02 PM
practice your style at least 3 times before you photo shoot your finished style. You can apply the extensions days before hand and remove them and reapply them the day before the shoot. Practice, practice, practice.

Have a plan and then work your plan on the day of the shoot. What you have planned is very easy, don't freak yourself out. They are only pictures, and I hope that they aren't the only pictures of your work that your ever going to take. I've done plenty of photo-shoots and sometimes you pictures suck, and some times the pictures are just ok, never have I done a shoot that I was 100% happy with the results. If you are freaking out, your going to freak the model out and I can guarantee your pictures will suck if your model is freaked.

I just posted some old hair pictures to my website. Most were done when I first started taking pictures of my work to improve my skills in photography and in hairdressing. Most of the work is real 80's/early 90's, but looking back I like them better now then when I first did them.

I'm rambling.

tdub
Bronze Member

hairmaven
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2005 5:40:33 AM
thank you so much for your response. you helped me to relax... a little. this isn't the first (or the last) shoot I have done. we have a photographic competition every year, competing against the other salons in our company (15 in total). last year, since I was new to the company I had to enter 'newcomer'. I had my model chosen, and had hyped her up, I had an awesome plan, and I just knew I was gonna place at lease 2nd. the the b@$#h didn't show up, and wasn't answering her phone. I ended up having to use my boyfriend last minute. it turned out great, and I still came in 4th.

this year I'm entering 'women's cut and color' and 'men's cut and color' (my boyfriend again-he photographs really well). no matter how good I feel about the style I have chosen- I am going to get nervous. that's just how I am, I want everything to be perfect.

so about the extensions- I can put them in and take them out, without damaging the weaves or her hair? and you think they will stay in good enough to put them in the night before, and they won't come out when she sleeps on them? because that would make me alot more comfortable the day of. I really didn't want to have to get to the salon at 5 a.m.

sorry I'm sucking you of info, but how do you think I should place the two colors? should I put the track of her color on the bottom? will it work if I cut thin strip of the two colors and alternate them on one row? I want a really full, multi dimensional look.

now I'm rambling, sorry...

thank you again for sharing!!

HairMaven
Gold Member

Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2005 2:31:26 PM
Yes you can use the extension wefts again. Just be careful to remove the glue and use the glue remover.

I'm not so sure of her sleeping on the extensions the night before the photo-shoot. Just due to the fact you don't want "bed head" extensions when it will only take 30 minutes to put the extensions in. Practice your style before hand, practice with different color placement, and take pictures of your different styles and see which photographs better. Just remember that what looks extreme to your eye, will look much more muted in the photograph.

Just think about your color placement and maybe do a couple of drawings to get an idea of what it will look like. Also you can bobby pin the wefts in as a trail run to see where you should place the colors.

tdub
Bronze Member

hairmaven
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2005 5:05:43 PM
thank you so much for clearing all this up. I feel alot more confident. we are really short on time, so I may not be able to practice as much as I wish I could. she's a college student (pharmacy student) plus works in the pharmacy late nights. so I have to squeeze 2 hours on friday, and hopefully one more day earlier this week. time is gonna be tight.

I like the idea of pinning them in to get the placement. that will be perfect. and 30-45 min sounds about right for the extensions. once I know where I want them, it should go really quickly after that.

we went out today to get makeup, and since I really have no idea about makeup, we spent like 2 hours in sephora. they were really helpful tho and explained everything. now I really want makeup classes! doing these photo shoots is really great. it gets me out of my box and inspires me to try new things.

AMI
Bronze Member

sorry didn't mean to freak you out
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 7:40:09 AM

It just sounded a little tight time wise, but the Hairmaven always has a way of destressing a situation(great ideas) Planning always makes perfect, I am an on the fly, seat of her pants kinda  gurl and wish I was more of a practicer,(YEah I know pixie) you will be fab as always... can't wait to see the pics.  

tdub
Bronze Member

Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2005 5:19:18 AM
AMI, it's ok, I was already freakin out anyway. I am really crunched for time my model doesn't have much time to come in for practice work. and of course we were supposed to get together tonight, but now we're supposed to get 6 inches of snow. so that leaves us tommorrow and saturday night only.

I can't wait to show you guys the pics tho. I'm not sure how to go about that. I think this year, we'll get a disk with all the photos on it right after the shoot. I'm entering my boyfriend too, and I know his will come out great. so when I get the disks, I'll ask him to help me get up online somehow.

thanks for everyone's help and encouragement.

tdub
Bronze Member

Posted: Sunday, February 27, 2005 6:58:15 PM
my shoot was today and it went GREAT!!! the extensions went in really easy, and they looked so natural that no one noticed that it wasn't her hair.

I am just so happy that this part is over. I was so nervous, and worried, all for nothing. at least now I can relax.

one down, one to go. my final shoot is next sunday, men's cut/color.

after the last one, I'll figure a way to get before and afters up online. I would love to hear some feedback and/or constructive criticism.

coloru2
Silver Member

Posted: Sunday, February 27, 2005 9:56:06 PM
Way to go. You must be so proud!

alesia
Platinum Member

Posted: Monday, February 28, 2005 4:27:04 AM
that's awesome! I can't wait to see them.

HairMaven
Gold Member

tdub
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2005 10:31:08 AM
let me know if you need someplace to post your pictures. I'll post them on my server.

Hey, that gives me a good idea... I should set up a place where all the btc members could post picts of their work..... maybe with a little bio... not so much for the client (as hot locks has that covered), but for other professionals...

Let me know what you guys think and if you would be interested in participating..

alesia
Platinum Member

Posted: Monday, February 28, 2005 2:14:37 PM
I would. I think that is a good idea.

tdub
Bronze Member

Posted: Monday, February 28, 2005 6:04:00 PM
I think that is a great idea! I was just talking to my boyfriend about how to post them. he made it sound like a pain. so I would love to take you up on your offer. just let me know how to get the pics to you. we'll wait until next week tho, after the next shoot.

thanks!

and p.s. I think a place to post our work would be great. it kind of sucks that btc doesn't let us upload pics on the boards. hairdressing is pretty visual...

hot_locks
Platinum Member

Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2005 12:21:56 AM
I think that would be fun!

Tayalynn
Bronze Member

Too bad you didn't have more time!
Posted: Friday, March 11, 2005 1:56:51 PM
Hey,
I have stumbled upon an extension system here in Florida. The system uses no glue at all. It comes with a metal looper that you put a metal tubeular bead on to the hair with - you slide the bead up to the root and then you plug in the human hair extentension which looks like a really tight end of a shoelace. After you plug the hair into this tube which is attached to the real hair you squeeze it shut with a pair of plyers! It's so awesome. The best part about it is that as the hair grows out you can squeeze the metal tube the opposite way and slide the extension back up to the root without replacement of the hair. There is no damage to the hair and no messy glue. The hair is also 100% human so it can be colored, cut, curled and blow-dryed. The only problem is the expense. 40 extensions of hair costs $50 and up depending on length. A little bag of beads will set you back $20. It takes about 150 extensions to do a full head. So you start getting into big bucks just for the supplies. It takes about 5-6 hours to do a full head.

Dabonbonsings

? for Tayalynn
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2005 4:19:05 AM

Tayalynn --

Do you have info on how I could order this interesting sounding extension system?

Act as if.

tdub
Bronze Member

hairmaven
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2005 5:02:17 AM
hey, all my shoots are finished and I wanted to take you up on your offer. just wanted to know how you wanted me to get the pics to you.

thanks again.

hot_locks
Platinum Member

Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2005 6:16:17 PM

microring (drlocks) and another company does this.  Not that new...