Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > clipper issues
Posted By:
Posted By:neets on: 2/19/2005 3:31:14 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: clipper issues
neets

clipper issues
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2005 3:31:15 PM
I was hoping someone could tell me when the blade on my clipper needs to changed (a duh question but I'm a rookie) Did a cut on my son who went from very long to very short and his hair is extremely dense. I have Oster fast feed clippers and I am so glad I checked the cut they did (not perfect) I was making sure to scoop out but I was using three quarter and one inch guards to a one and quarter top. His hair is that good strong virgin (almost slickery) stuff. I've given clipper cuts to people whose hair is a breeze to cut his wasn't, and am wondering is it me or the clippers or the blade?

mc
Platinum Member

Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2005 9:40:30 PM
extremely dense. That's why it didn't breeze through his hair. You may need to take the blade off and clean it out too.
mc

neets

Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2005 4:39:49 AM
Thanks MC, I will clean it out. I also think I should have been using a comb to bring the hair down into the clippers like I've seen others do but I didn't understand why they were doing it.
I saw the post about guard causing channels in the cut, I guess I should be checking all the clipper cuts I do, I didn't always do that unless I saw a problem, but then again the customer was supposed to be out of the door in 13 min.

AlenaL
Bronze Member

Clipper over Comb!
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2005 8:36:26 PM
You could probably benefit by having someone teach you clipper over comb techniques.  I just got out of school in December and thats where I learned that, but I've been in the salon since November and there were 2 people who had never even heard of clipper over comb method.  You can get videos on clipper cuts or maybe someone with more experience can show you! Good luck!
Alena

mc
Platinum Member

Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2005 9:10:32 PM

Never heard of that? LOL

If the hair's long I use the comb over clipper, and 99% of the time just end up doing the entire cut that way. Sometimes guards aren't all they're cracked up to be and are more of a nuisence then not. Buttt you have to do it the way that YOU are comfortable, not how others work. Everyone learns differently and are taught differently.

mc

neets

Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 4:58:12 AM
I've got a LOT to learn when it comes to clipper cuts, but the school I attended did recoginize and tried to get some young men into the class for a cut, we were required to do 4 clipper cuts on mannequins, and the clientele at the school was mostly elderly women in for a perm, color, or roller set.

Clipper over comb is a great technique, and I've used it a lot to blend (with my little edger that's so comfortable in my hand) I've had people move their head while I'm cutting tho, (blending this beautiful fade I was finishing up he moves his head right into the edger) and my son FOR SURE is not one to sit still.

I guess what I was asking about is a mistake I was making, trusting in a machine (with the guards) to be perfect.

MC, I cleaned out that clipper and it was very clogged! I wonder now how often that should be done? I've always used the spray on cleaner and lube and got a lot of hair out, but that was about it. (Nobody told me about taking them apart once in a while!)

Thank you all for your advice.

mc
Platinum Member

Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 7:43:36 AM

I was taking them apart all the time. If I knew then what I know now, I would have bought stock in Kool Lube. I'd be rich now. lol

Everything comes in due time. It's more a live and learn thing. Teaching you about the equipment is "at the unstructors discression" some do some don't. Mine fortunatly took his work quite seriously, and didn't take for granted that we automatically knew that we were suppose to take the clippers apart to clean them.

Sooooo......are they working better now? Hehehe

mc

coloru2
Silver Member

Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 11:55:16 AM
I use the little brush to wipe away the hair after every cut. Some girls in the salon never do this, and it amazes me that they can do a clipper cut at all. Their clippers are that clogged. Go figure.

neets

Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 3:27:21 PM
Oh yes I've always brushed them off as well but when I took the blades off (the blades themselves weren't bad) but I saw that there was hair working its way up into to motor via the workings where the blade connects to the post (trying not to say vibrating post here but it just isn't working) so I removed the packing and everything and cleaned till it was spic and span and now it cuts hair like buttah.
I guess whats irking me at this point (after I thought about it,duh!) is that I was a studious student and paid close attention to my instructors, but when I think about the money that school was making from the salon, I think they could have helped us get more clipper experience by lowering their prices, and also spent a little more time on equipment maintenance (maybe they owned stock in whal or sunbeam!) !) wink wink

Rena837

Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2005 1:37:37 PM

what is the best clipper brand?

i have the oster but i'm not too happy with it. 

neets

Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2005 2:16:34 PM
I'm curious to know what kind of clippers are used at Supercuts, I worked alongside a lady who used a set she got when working there and said they practically "vacuumed" the hair off, but the clipper was so large and heavy looking it put me off. Now I'm having second thoughts.

mc
Platinum Member

Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2005 3:19:56 PM
Oster's
mc