Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > Hi Guys, i have a haircutting Question, please help
Posted By:
Posted By:vallygrrl on: 2/14/2005 7:50:49 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Hi Guys, i have a haircutting Question, please help
vallygrrl
Platinum Member

Hi Guys, i have a haircutting Question, please help
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2005 7:50:49 PM
Hello everyone, i have just aquired a new client, he's an old friend of mine, and he's really picky about his hair.  I'll give you a backround, he's probaly in his thirties and he was a teenager during the "hair metal" age, and he has worn his hair the same way ever since, long.  Now he wants a new look, and believe it or not he wants me to do his hair exactly like Robert Cromeans.  He wants Robert Cromeans longer look, not the supershort one.  And i wondered, how i would cut and style that.  Thank you for any suggestions.  And not to be pushy, but i am cutting it tomorrow night so if you could help me that would be great.

coloru2
Silver Member

Posted: Monday, February 14, 2005 8:51:18 PM
I can't picture his cut in my mind right now, but I believe it has a lot of texturizing in it. Utilize all your texturizing skills on this one. And use a wax/pomade for styling. Not too helpful, I know, but it's something.
Oh, I just checked something. If the cut you're talking about is the one of RC on the home page of this site, I say it's just a square cut of 2-3 inches, with a lot of texturizing.

hot_locks
Platinum Member

Posted: Monday, February 14, 2005 9:39:44 PM
Lots of razoring... Does he have color?  He might need color to pull of the texture.  If you are afraid- or not used to the PM carving comb, point cut the perimeter and layers like normal.  Then go back and razor the edges.  This helps if you have a hard time finding your guide when using a razor....

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 5:22:10 AM
Thank you so much guys, this isn't my first guys cut, but this is probaly my first non clipper guys cut, and i really appreciate the advice.
Coloru2-this is going to sound stupid i know, but what is a square cut, and is their a way i can do the cut Robert has on the homepage leaving it a bit longer than two or three inches, and still getting the same spikiness.
Hotlocks-I think i will do that, umm, he actually does want color, he wants it to be the same color as Roberts, so i was going to do an ash blonde on him, he already has a more warmer blonde.
Thanks guys

What Would Robert Cromeans Do

hot_locks
Platinum Member

Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 7:29:12 AM

you should bleach and tone.  Will give the hair a lot of texture.  Ezpecially if his hair is soft...

coloru2
Silver Member

Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 7:40:49 AM
Vally, the longer the hair is, the harder it is to get the spikiness. The bleach will rough up the cuticle and help it to stick up, as will the wax/pomade. So you decide on the length, maybe you can cut it longer at first, then go in shorter if you don't get the results you and your client want.A square is also called a box cut. It's all cut at 90 degrees, without the rounded corners, you keep them square. Hope that explained it well, other wise maybe someone else can say it better.

HairMaven
Gold Member

Vally
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 7:58:49 PM
Cut everything on his head the same length with a razor or carving comb. Then channel texturize the snot out of the hair (deep channels every half inch or so and channel a gap as big as the one your leaving). Leave the hair about 2 inches longer than you think it should be because the texturizing will make the hair look and feel shorter than the longest lengths really are.

You MUST BLEACH his hair or it will fall limp, especially if you want any kind of length.

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 8:09:23 PM
coloru2-thank you i do get what your saying now, that's very clear.
Hairmaven-thank you so much, that's very helpful, now this is going to sound kind of lame, but what do you mean by channeling?

HairMaven
Gold Member

Vally
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 9:19:23 PM
Hold up a section of hair to cut, place the razor 1" from scalp and cut a but gap in the section as you move the razor towards your fingers holding the section. Hence, you cut a "channel" or "gap".

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2005 5:19:12 PM
Thank you so much guys, i did his hair today and it looked awesome.  He really likes it, he's still kind of in shock, but he likes it.  It looks almost exactly like Roberts.  And thank you hairmaven for teaching me that new technique, it was the first time i ever did it, and it rocked.

HairMaven
Gold Member

Vally
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2005 6:48:28 PM
No problem.

mc
Platinum Member

Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2005 8:17:22 PM
Right on Vally
mc

chadfromnc

Way to Go Valley
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2005 6:46:56 PM
Way to go Valley!!!
I bet he is rocking his new style :-D
chadfromnc

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2005 9:05:54 PM
Thanks mc and Chad.
Chad-i hope so, he's still kind of in shock, because he had the whole eighties rocker look since well the eighties, he said before i cut it, that he might cry, but it looks really nice on him. I'll see him in a couple of days, and see if he's gotten over the shock.lol

alesia
Platinum Member

Posted: Friday, February 18, 2005 4:38:33 AM

Can anyone answer these questions?

What exactly did the eighties do to us? I know more people who are stuck in an eighties time warp! Is it just because that was my teen time and I just recognize it better?

Do all of the generations find this? If you grew up in the seventies, do you still see a lot of people in your age group still wearing their hair or dressing like they did then? Or is it really something flukey with the eighties?

Val's client is like a lot of people I see in the mall on the street. Sometimes in my chair. Perm business has been  increasing, however I have not had a request for a mullet in five years. ( On the perms: luckily no-one has asked me to straighten the bangs, spray the crap out of them with hairspray and pick out the rest to frizzy/curly. thank God!)

The new cut for him sounds like a winner: Good Job Val!

m2
Platinum Member

Posted: Friday, February 18, 2005 6:14:11 AM

an interesting view regarding the hairstyle thing-
Someone who continues to wear a certain (dated) style does so because that was a time in their life when they felt really good about themselves and they try to maintain that time.

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

Posted: Friday, February 18, 2005 6:56:40 AM
Thanks alesia.  Yeah i would agree, i think that especially in my clients case, he's not thrilled right now with things, and he was really happy and relevant in high school, but he's a pretty positive guy, and he's ready for a change.  The only thing i'm worried about is his best friend.  They both went to school together and they are like joined at the hip, and he tried to talk my client out of getting his hair done in the first place.  So i hope he doesn't go to his friends house and decide not to like his cut.  I gave him some product to help him style it.
"Sometimes you need a little J-Lo, sometimes you need a lot of Marilyn."-Robert Cromeans

tdub
Bronze Member

alesia...
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2005 8:31:24 AM
it's not just you, I see 80's rockers all the time. and I was born in 1980, so I don't think it has anything to do with growing up then.

I just cut an 11'' pony tail off of a guy last week. he had the tight jeans, black t-shirt and headbanger boots. and a few months back I had a woman come in and after I was done cutting and styling, she said, "I usually like to tease it in the front a little". so I teased it a little and sprayed it. she proceeded to take the comb, and the spray, and tease the hell out of it (while holding the sides out also, to give her the 'wings') and then spray half my bottle of spray on her bangs!! I was mortified! I really hope she never comes back. I don't think I would allow her to do that again.

HairMaven
Gold Member

Posted: Friday, February 18, 2005 9:18:03 AM
2 weeks ago I had a guy come in, he was bald on top, wanted a mullet with a partial perm in the back.

Can I just say, I do a "mean" mullet perm!!!

alesia
Platinum Member

Posted: Friday, February 18, 2005 5:32:28 PM

lol Hairmaven! hee hee hee-- at least you saved some money on hairspray by him not having bangs............

hee hee hee mulletperm..hee hee

tdub- oh god! the wings- I almost forgot about them!!! like the first guy on headbangers ball...........yikes!

mc
Platinum Member

Posted: Friday, February 18, 2005 5:47:06 PM

HairMaven-  Does one charge full price or partial price for mullet perms? LOL

Maybe we should have that one the menu??

mc

JD
Platinum Member

wings
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2005 9:23:03 PM
has anyone been paying attention to the lastest style for women? It is "the wing!"

Today I am peaceful ..                                               

Today I am Relaxed..

Today I am Grateful..

Today I work hard..

Toady I am kind to others. "The five Reiki principles"

mc
Platinum Member

Posted: Friday, February 18, 2005 9:33:09 PM
The wing? Oh YUCK!!!! I see it all the time. Looks just as tacky as it did 20 years ago.
mc

JD
Platinum Member

The wing
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2005 11:24:19 PM
Yep, I get that large lump in the pit of my stomach when I see it cause I use to wear it. Just like platforms, belllbottoms, honcos..babydoll tops..torn jeans..ARGH!

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2005 7:25:28 PM
the wing, lol, the mullett though is just tragic.  I did a really hot guy once (his hair!!!!) and he had me give him a mullett, and i was so upset, because when i was shampooing his hair i noticed he was gorgeous, i mean perfect facial features but you didn't even notice because of the mullett.  But i do whatever anyone asks me to,so i gave him the mullett
"Sometimes you need a little J-Lo, sometimes you need a lot of Marilyn."-Robert Cromeans

mc
Platinum Member

jd-
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2005 9:01:54 PM
YUCK!!! cannot stress that loud enough. LOL! I didn't like that when it was "in" My daughter on the other hand can wear all that get-up, and it looks great on her. Me? I'm a shorts and T-shirt kinda girl, and can't wear funky colors.
mc

mc
Platinum Member

vally-
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2005 9:04:36 PM
sometimes you just gotta do it.....althoughhhh I have talked a few out of that cut in my day. Just use that "it ain't sexy" but "this"....
mc

Dabonbonsings

ew
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 4:34:48 AM
I wouldn't do a mullet if my life depended on it. If someone asks me for one, I say, "You really want a mullet?" My question usually shames them into asking me what I would do. heh heh
Act as if.

alesia
Platinum Member

Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 4:49:37 AM
If they want a mullet- you give them the best mullet you can do. I wouldn't turn away someone just because it is my opinion that their hairdo of choice is out of style or I don't like it. that's silly! money is still green.........

HairMaven
Gold Member

alesia
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 10:40:32 AM
word!

mc
Platinum Member

Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 2:32:00 PM
here here
mc

statikman1
Bronze Member

Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 3:24:50 PM
I'm having extensions put into my mullet. Loves it.

mc
Platinum Member

Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 7:59:13 PM
You have a mullet?
mc

statikman1
Bronze Member

Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 8:42:57 PM
I've been working some version of a mullet for the last 8 years. I shave my head yearly and then grow it into a mullet. This time I'm going to add some length via extensions and have some fun with it.

HairMaven
Gold Member

Statik
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 9:20:48 PM
Don't forget to perm the long hair!!! I have an excellent pattern for making the curl look "natural"!!

mc
Platinum Member

Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 9:24:32 PM
Right on.
mc

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 9:48:31 PM
Statik, you just broke my heart.

alesia
Platinum Member

Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 4:29:08 AM
Perm it into banana curls! start a craze!!!!

color.girl

Mullet Perm......hehehe
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2007 6:30:00 PM

Decided to look back at old cutting posts.  This thread will have me giggling for days.