shir

razoring
Posted: Saturday, January 29, 2005 5:14:25 PM

has anyone tried the hot vibe razor?

is it worth the price

HairMaven
Gold Member

Posted: Saturday, January 29, 2005 10:50:20 PM
I have one. I think that it's neat-o. Worth the price? Well..... Ask your self "Self, How much hair do I cut dry, and is it important that I razor cut dry hair".. If you don't cut hair dry, the vibe part of the razor I don't find beneficial. The hot part of the razor is interesting. But.......

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2005 12:54:21 AM
Does anyone cut dry hair with a razor? It seems counter-intuitive to me.

m2
Platinum Member

i do
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2005 7:14:45 AM
i do some detailing (on occasion) with a razor.  just make sure the blade is brand new. 
what do you mean 'counter-intuitive'? untaught?  interesting use of a word there britboy. 

tdub
Bronze Member

Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2005 8:14:05 AM
cutting hair dry with a razor is just like 'shaving' with the blade of the shears. as long as the blade or razor is ultra sharp. it works really well in detailing.

HairMaven
Gold Member

Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2005 11:11:04 AM
One of the selling points of the Hot Vibe razor, is that it vibrates which allows you to cut razor cut dry hair. And it does a pretty good job of it. The heat of the razor is suppose to "seal" the end of the cut hair so you don't get the frayed ends you'd get with a not so sharp regular razor.

I think the Hot Vibe is a neat little tool, my only problem with it is the size. It's a little large for my taste.

hot_locks
Platinum Member

Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2005 11:21:33 AM
I cut wet and dry with a razor depending on the type of haircut.  I try not to use the razor that often in dry hair and only for detailing.  Usually I use it in a downward motion (sideways between the hair) not across the hair- if that makes any sense.  Sometimes you can't see the separation or should I say create the separation you want in wet hair.

akearns1

lefty's lament
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2005 6:52:25 AM

as a lefty, I am constantly struggling with the razor... I am not sure I could do an entire razor cut because of problems of how to hold the dang thing!!! I do use it for texturizing, but little more than that...

Any suggestions on how to better handle my feather? Does one hold the hair out and cut up, or down... or does the cut determine whether you cut up or down. (my intuition tells me if I cut up... then the under is shorter than outer, making the hair curl under, and if I cut down, then it creates a "flippy effect"--)

I also am afraid of using the razor on curly hair. Is that a legit fear?

would the hot vibe thing be easier to use?

thelook

Posted: Monday, December 05, 2005 9:45:46 AM
I am a lefty and use the roto razor  and i put the razor on backwards and it works great for me. 

akearns1

Posted: Monday, December 05, 2005 6:50:40 PM
what's the roto razor?

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Monday, December 05, 2005 8:29:47 PM
As a rule it's better not to cut curly hair with the razor because it takes the 'structure' out of the style and makes it uncontrollable...however, having said that, it's perfectly OK to cut curly hair in a 'blunt' fashion with the razor, which retains the 'structure' while breaking the ends up just a little, for variety. What you want to avoid is layering too much with the razor so the hairstyle doesn't ' explode'...unless of course that's the look that you are trying for.

akearns1

fuzzy hair
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 8:52:17 AM

thanks Britboy... your explanation is something concrete where I only had intuitive knowledge before.

What about hair, that is neither curly, nor straight...? I have a few clients that are "fuzzy"...some actually having coarse, thick hair, and others fine, average thickness hair... This is the kind of hair that expands at an astronimical rate when air drying....I almost never use a razor on them because the hair seems so unpredictable anyway... and often, coming up with styles being mindful of the hair type is just plain challenging because (uugh!) some are not willing (or able) to blow dry. I do tout the importance of product, and yet... I know that the "right cut" will make all the difference. (Sometimes, though, the "right" cut, is elusive. Sigh. )Usually I do some sort of blunt cut on the bottom and then long, angled layers to counter the "triangle head" phenomenon. What are other options, if any?

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 10:41:52 PM
Chemical relaxing works well, there are a number of different types on the market, it's good money too...

akearns1

Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 5:27:20 AM
Is there a particular brand that you employ... I have worked with the Redken "Vertical" and have gotten mixed results....For the people who still don't want to blow dry, it doesn't seem to do much.