Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > Men's cuts - types of clippers, blending comb?!
Posted By:
Posted By:ChopNHeadz on: 1/10/2005 8:49:43 AM

Display:
Author: Thread: Men's cuts - types of clippers, blending comb?!
ChopNHeadz

Men's cuts - types of clippers, blending comb?!
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2005 8:49:43 AM
Does it really matter what clippers you use, especially when doing a "fade"?  I have read a lot about the Oster clippers, that they fade really well.  And, what is a blending comb and where do you get it from?  Thanks

hot_locks
Platinum Member

Posted: Monday, January 10, 2005 10:18:42 AM

I use the Oster Turbo 111 I like them.  Any of the clippers that have changeable blades will outdo clippers that use guards anyday.  You should use blending shears.  Not a blending comb-which I have never tried- but sounds like a gimmick that isn't that great.  Get some blending shears to go over the hair after you have used clippers.  It gets rid of that "I just went to the barber" look.  It makes is very clean and refined....

ChopNHeadz

Posted: Monday, January 10, 2005 11:22:40 AM
Blending shears - is that the same as texturizing shears, just with a lot of teeth (such as 40 teeth)?  Excuse my ignorance, but I just want to make sure.  If this is not the same thing, please tell me what they are and how to use them.

hot_locks
Platinum Member

Posted: Monday, January 10, 2005 11:43:15 AM
actually they are all the same (not in the way they work-but what they are called.)  thinning shears blending shears, texturizing shears...  medium teeth will work fine.  The thick ones are more for cutting bulk-I don't use them myself.  The fine ones sometimes make it hard to open and close the shears quickly.  BW Boyd has great blending shears.

HairMaven
Gold Member

Fade
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2005 12:58:39 PM
If your doing a true fade. Oster clippers will work but will require more skill and fine tuning than using a Andis Master clipper. The head on the Master is adjustable so you can fine tune the lengths on your blend better than the Oster. Sure the Master is vibrator driven and will not mow through as much hair as easily as the motor driven Oster, but for a fade, nothing beats the Andis Master. Doing clipper over comb, either one works. I have both clippers and I continually reach for the Master more often than the Oster 76. It's lighter than the 76, and most of the time I'm not shearing sheep, but for those instances where I have Sasquach in my chair, out come the Tool Time Oster 76 Power Clipper, oohh oohhh ahhh ahhhh.

In barbering you use a "blending" or "thinning" shear, not a texturizing shear. The difference being the amount of teeth and the size of the teeth. The goal of a barber is to get a perfect blend and with a texturizing shear (few teeth and/or big teeth) it will cause separation which will not help with the blending of the fade, especially when doing a skin fade. For barbering, the industry standard is the 44/20's (the name of the shear). It has 44 teeth and is great for blending your fade lines. Remember, when it comes to thinning or texturizing shears, the more teeth the less hair it will remove, the fewer teeth the more hair it removes, I know that sounds backwards, but that is the way it is.

If you can find an OLD American Crew tapes, the are great teaching old school barbering. (My Opinion ALERT) Don't waste your time with the new one, absolutely horrible, they teach hairdressing short hair. There is a huge difference between barbering and hairdressing. I have not seen any Jim Jones tapes, but that may be an option.

HairMaven
Gold Member

Oh yeah.
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2005 1:01:43 PM
To help look for a 'taper' comb, maybe that's what your refering to as a blending comb. A taper comb is a comb that is large on one side and "tapers" to a really small comb at the other end. These combs will force you to work with very small amounts of hair and help ememsly with blending of lines and think and thin spots in hair density.

hot_locks
Platinum Member

Posted: Monday, January 10, 2005 1:22:46 PM
Well said.. I think I will opt for the "vibrator" myself, I am due for a new set of clippers

Yriana

Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 8:08:12 PM

This post was removed. Please do not refer to another fourm.

Elizabeth

elizabethb@behindthechair.com