Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > I need help!!!
Posted By:
Posted By:2sdesgone on: 12/29/2004 7:57:05 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: I need help!!!
2sdesgone

I need help!!!
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 7:57:05 PM
I have been reading this board for some time now and I know there is someone out there with some very much needed advice.  I have been liscensed for about three years but have only worked at two different places.  One place for almost a week and the other place for one day.  I love hair and everything about it, well, here is my problem.  I feel like I don't know how to do anything.  I never really had a color class, I was in the process of transferring schools when I was ready to start the color chapter at the first school and the second school had already been through it, so I pretty much had to teach myself.  But I want to do hair so bad I can't stand it, but I am so afraid of going to work somewhere and making a total fool out of myself.  At the first school I attended, I had so much confidence in myself and it really felt good, I could'nt wait to get out and start working, then I had to transfer to the second school, and I lost all the confidence I had.  I felt totally stupid.  I have even thought about going back to beauty school, which probably is'nt even possible.  If there is anyone out there with any advice, I would so greatly appreciate it.  I'm not getting any younger and I've got to do something.

hot_locks
Platinum Member

Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 8:01:07 PM
Drop those jobs... Find a good salon and assist assist assist.  You will learn all you need to know and gain the confidence you need.

HairMaven
Gold Member

2sdesgone
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 10:32:02 PM
well.. I hate to break the news to you, but EVERYONE feels the same way when they first start. Some just put those feelings way down deep and take action in-spite of the way they feel. You will have to do the same.

Find a nice salon you feel like you'll never be good enough to work in, dress yourself nicely, put on your best "GREAT" attitude everyday (especially when you are hired), and apply for an assistant job, tell them you know nothing but you love hair and am eager to learn. Keep applying at those salons until you get hired at one, study your behind off and one day you will be confident (this will take you about 5 years) and successful and be willing and able to train a new insecure just out of school stylist and the circle will continue.

Your position is nothing new, it happens everyday in the salon business. EVERYDAY.

Suck it up, wash your worries away, put one foot in front of the other, walk yourself down to a nice nice salon and DO IT. Doesn't matter to me if you do or not. But, it would be a shame for you to look back over your life and regret that you let a little insecurity and fear over something so insignificant stopped you from doing something you "love".

Just my 2 cents.

2sdesgone

Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2004 7:01:31 AM

you guys are so right, I just need to suck it up and get to work.  I know about hair, I just panic.  There is a stylist in my town that stays booked up four months in advance and that is the way I want to be.  But I will never  achieve it if I don't believe it and get out there and do it.  Thank you for your "2 cents".

tdub
Bronze Member

Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2004 8:44:45 PM
if that stylist is someone you look up to, why don't you ask her/him if you can assist them. or at least apply at the salon this person works. you have to have mentors in this business. I believe in having someone 'big' you look up to, like in vally's case, it's robert cromeans. and also having someone who's 'big' in your town. someone you can get close to and work with or at least watch. this really helped me in the beginning of my career, I learned alot.

HairMaven
Gold Member

tdub
Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2004 8:54:11 PM
WORD...

Cathy

a bit off subject but...
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2004 10:00:14 PM
I have worked in the same community forever,I live in it as well..It seems I can hardly go to a store without running into someone I know, (my client or a co-workers).This means on my days off I worry about how I look,.what if someone sees me.. On my days off I love to just hang out in sweats,comfy clothes and not wear make-up, that kind of thing ,you know,? After everyday having to look our best ,I really enjoy a day off. Someday I am going to move a good 15 miles away from work..And go to the stores and run into "nobody"..

tdub
Bronze Member

cathy
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2005 5:12:16 AM
I understand wanting a 'day off' for the makeup and stuff. but remember you are an advertisement for yourself. even on my days off I always do my hair and makeup, even if I'm just wearing jeans and a t-shirt. so when I go out to the mall or even the grocery store, I can promote myself. I always ask, "where do you get your hair done?", and wait, people love talking about their hair. then I give a card.

it has helped to build my business, and it shows confidence and that you love what you do.

Anonymous

exactly
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2005 9:13:05 AM
That is my point exactly..I really hate "having" to do that ..surely I'am not the only one..When your business is doing well ,sometimes you just want/need to go to a store,you don't want to feel pressured to "work"it,.Hence if you live away from your working community you have more of a sense of anonymity.

hot_locks
Platinum Member

Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2005 10:48:39 AM
You are NOT the only one.  I wear sweats, no makeup and my hair in a ponytail on my day off.  Guess what?  I don't care!  It also takes confidence to out in public and not feel embarrassed by the way you look.  If I run into a client, they don't even think twice.  They know I am off!  Do you think corporate employess hang out in their suits?  Come on.  Sometimes when I see people made up as if they are going somewhere but they are just at the grocery store, I think wow, they really have to cover their face, I wonder what it looks like under ALL that makeup?

coloru2
Silver Member

Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2005 3:01:17 PM
When I was younger, I wouldn't dream of going out in public without being "done up." Now, in my forties (just getting better--LOL), I'm not so anal about it, except at work of course. Best foot forward and all that. But what changed, I guess, is that I'm more confidant in myself, and secure in knowing that it's the confidence that gets me to where I want to go, not the hair and make-up. I love the forties way more than I did the twenties.

And I agree with anon, I don't always feel like "working it", everyone deserves a day off.

tdub
Bronze Member

Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2005 6:58:42 PM
I guess I never get tired of 'working it'. not yet anyway. I don't get as dressed up on my days off as I do on my work days. but I do like to look presentable. I only wash my hair once or twice a week. and I only wear makeup on my eyes. so it's not like I spend alot of time on myself. I just like people to realize I care about what I look like, so therefore I care about what they look like.

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2005 7:20:09 PM
Interesting topic- In theory i agree with Cathy, i completly agree with her.  I am shocked that when i go to the mall, tons of people literally (i'm not even passing out cards) tell me they like my hair and makeup, and i tell them i'm a stylist.  Great advertisment. 
However in practise i agree with Hot-Locks.  The salon i work at now, they hired me because they like the way i dress, and they are very concerned about appearance, so i get all dolled up to work, but when i have days off i look hideous.  Right now i have on black sweat pants, a dress shirt with holes in it, a old red sweatshirt, and Kmart sneakers.  My hair is spike up in a Johnny Rotton style, and i have green spray paint in it from new years.

hot_locks
Platinum Member

Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2005 7:26:50 PM
hehehe not at all how I pictured you Vally... lol

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

hot-locks
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2005 7:41:46 PM
lol, are you being sarcastic, or did you really not picture me like that?

hot_locks
Platinum Member

Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2005 7:44:42 PM
No, just making fun of your green hair and Kmart shoes... hehe... sitting at the computer....

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2005 7:49:43 PM
lol, well i'm glad people don't picture me looking like that, that's sweet.