Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > How do you feel about getting your hair cut at a salon that you dont work at?
Posted By:
Posted By:cricket on: 11/2/2004 8:52:21 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: How do you feel about getting your hair cut at a salon that you dont work at?
cricket

How do you feel about getting your hair cut at a salon that you dont work at?
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 8:52:21 PM

I was just wondering how you all felt about getting your hair cut at a salon other than the one that you work at? I have a very hard time finding someone who can cut my hair the way that I like it. I have had one of the girls in my salon cut my hair before and it is always hit or miss. She will cut it really nice one time and the next time do a really bad job. I just dread getting my haircut for the fact that I will hate it so I put it off all the time. But I would feel bad going to another salon and bringing them business. But I would rather pay money to get a nice haircut than get a free haircut that I dont really like ( the girls at my shop wont ever accept money from me if they do something to my hair and I do all their hair for free too). Plus I would like to be able to enjoy the experience of getting my hair done. So please give me your thoughts on the subject any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you! 

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 10:39:42 PM
I think that it depends on the situation.  Personally i think that you should try to get styled at your salon as often as time allows so that you can kind of Sell the salon image.  But that is why i think that you should get it done at your salon, besides that i don't see anything wrong with getting it done at other salons.  I think it's actually nice to visit other salons to see how they do things, and there are certain issues with finding time to get your hair done.  Also if your getting a service done that your salon does not offer, or the people in your salon don't feel comfortable doing, i think it is fine to go look around.
God bless

tdub
Bronze Member

Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 5:46:06 AM
I have a similiar problem, I think I posted somewhere else on this subject. but anyway, I am very picky about my hair, so I thought that the most experienced, highest paid hairdresser at my salon would do a good job. she totally screwed up my hair. I think she did it on purpose. she does beautiful work, but whenever she does anyone's hair at the salon, she royally screws it up. honestly, I wish I afford to go somewhere else, I wouldn't feel bad at all.

hot_locks
Platinum Member

One question
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 10:23:04 AM
If you do NOT TRUST anyone that you work with, WHY DO YOU WORK THERE?  HMMMMM

cricket

Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 11:25:18 AM
hot_locks where in my post did you see anything about not trusting the people that I work with? I never said that I dont trust the people that I work with I just said that I'm not pleased with the way that my hair turns out and that has nothing to do with trust.

hot_locks
Platinum Member

duh
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 1:38:45 PM
It MEANS YOU DO NOT TRUST THEM WITH YOUR HAIR.  Is THAT easier to understand what I am saying? O MY GOD!  Trust has a lot of MEANINGS.. NOT JUST o I trust you with my business, I trust you with my personal feelings, I trust you with my money, I trust you with my life, I trust you with MY HAIR!  What I am saying is, if they SUCK WHY DO YOU WORK THERE?  What does THAT say about YOU?  I think if you are surrounded by people who you do not TRUST to do your hair, how can you expand your learning?  How can you feel PROUD of where you work?  What do you think is the rep of the salon, if you feel that they are not "good enough" to do your hair.  What do clients think? hmmmm

coloru2
Silver Member

Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 8:21:55 PM
I have to agree with hot locks on this one. If none of them can cut your hair the way you like, then you will stop asking, and this can only mean that you do not trust them with your hair. What are they doing to their clients? Are they happy? It doesn't sound like a nurturing place to be, it should be where you can all learn from each other.

cricket

Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 9:28:02 PM

hot_locks you dont have to act like I'm a little kid. I do understand what trust is. Just because they cant do my hair the way that I like it doesnt mean that they suck or that I cant trust them with my hair. There are always going to be people that you dont please. I just happen to be very picky about my hair.

Phill
Bronze Member

Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2004 2:59:04 AM
I rarely have the people that I work with cut my hair and never feel bad about going else where. I see it as a reflection on how busy we are and that time doesnt normal permit and if it does we prefer to hang out together and chill then do each others hair. If I have a spare 30minutes and I havent had lunch or a coffee all day, I am sure as hell not going to want to cut or color any ones hair and I can imagine the other stylists feeling the same way.
Besides, by going else where, you get to relax and have a guilt free experience and not to mention it is like a mini workshop. Every one has something to teach even if they dont know they are teaching it.
If you have an assistant, you could always teach them how you like your hair cut. The mot recent cut I had was from some one how isnt even a hairdresser, in my bathroom at home, I simple gave detailed instructions on how to go about it and it is fantastic. Sometimes "proper education" can get in the way of creativity and seeing beyond what we know.

hot_locks
Platinum Member

Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2004 9:23:18 AM
If one wants to go to another salon for the relaxing experience of feeling like a real client, that's fine.  I totally understand that!  However cricket, you contradict yourself!   You say you are NOT saying you don't trust them with your hair... but you just said you HATE when they do your hair!  Make up your mind!  All I am saying is perhaps you should work somewhere where there are STYLISTS YOU ADMIRE that you can learn from- that you would be EXCITED for them to do your hair etc.  THAT would be a great place to work.  NOT somewhere you don't want fellow stylists touching your hair.  MAKES NO SENSE.  It is one thing to go elsewhere to relax and get away from work.  But if you are getting away from the "work" of your stylists, maybe you should work in the same type of place you think YOU YOURSELF WOULD GO TO GET YOUR HAIRCUT!  Am I making any sense?  I am proud to say IF I WERE A CLIENT, I WOULD GO TO MY OWN SALON TO GET MY HAIRCUT!  They are all great!  If they weren't, they WOULDN'T BE WORKING FOR ME!  They would be somewhere else, with coworkers that complain, like you are now.....

Anonymous

I have had my hair screwed up by coworkers too.
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2004 11:34:55 AM
I have had my hair screwed up by former coworkers too. They did wonderful on other people but my hair was cut way short when I asked for a trim or cut uneven.  I worked in the busiest salon in town. It has nothing to do with them and their clients or me and my clients. Their clients LOVED them and my clients love me.  I have had to go to other salons for a cut. I get to see what is going on in other salons. Although we offer to pay each other it is a bit like cutting family. Get your hair cut where you can be pleased.  Everyone should lighten up on this one.  If someone there can please you then it is best to stay in the salon. 

cricket

Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2004 2:25:02 PM
Thank you anon! you understand what I'm trying to say. Just because they do a bad job on your hair doesnt mean that they suck. hot_locks just doesnt seem to understand what I'm trying to say. I know that its hard to get what someone means from what they typed because different people take things different ways but I dont understand how you can say that I contradict myself. And to tell me that I need to get a job somewhere else. Just because I dont like they way that someone cut my hair. What kind of sense does that make. I told you that we all have a very good clientel in my shop. The stylists do a very good job. I just havent been pleased with the way my hair was done. I dont see what is so hard to understand about that. I'm not trying to argue I just think that you should fully read what people write and try to understand it before you start making assumptions on what they are trying to say.

tdub
Bronze Member

Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2004 6:43:56 PM
I agree with anon. all the stylists I work with have full books and our salon has a wonderful reputation in our area. but whenever I have certain people cut my hair, they screw it up. I think it's nothing to do with talent, because they do a great job with their clients. I think it's personal.

tdub
Bronze Member

Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2004 6:49:28 PM
I agree with anon. all the stylists I work with have full books and our salon has a wonderful reputation in our area. but whenever I have certain people cut my hair, they screw it up. I think it's nothing to do with talent, because they do a great job with their clients. I think it's personal.

coloru2
Silver Member

Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2004 9:08:28 PM
So cricket, I guess the answer to your original question would be to feel free to go elsewhere. Enjoy being waited on and pampered. Keep your eyes open and just maybe you'll pick up a new way of doing something, or if nothing else, something not to do. Go without guilt and enjoy.

CJ

communication?
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2004 8:32:08 PM
Sounds like there is a communication issue here.

If you're working with great stylists, they should be able to "get" your point about what you want done with your hair.

Myself, I'm seriously thinking about PAYING to go elsewhere, as our shop is just too booked for us to do each others' hair. Been 3 months since colour and cut for me, I'm a mess! BUT I wouldn't hesitate to let ANY of the gals I work with do me, as they all do great work, and I have really nasty wimpy fine "butt-fluff" for hair. The issue is finding the TIME.

Guess that's not really a bad thing, is it? ;)

m2
Platinum Member

Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2004 8:02:06 AM

it IS great to be SO busy there isn't time for your fellow stylists' hair to be done.  however we should make time, as our image is important and we need to be 'treated and pampered' too!
   i know what it's like and what it's like to work with another stylist who doesn't care to keep up on trend.  i would try and explain with pictures, reference to education we'd been to etc. regarding the cut or color i'd like- but they didn't care enough to try and understand.  so i cut my own hair.  she said i had a 'crazy haircut' and she didn't 'understand it'.  then they wonder why they lose clients..........hmmmmm.   
it'd be great to be able to meet in a salon with all the posters on this site for brainstorming and hair 'doing' every couple of months! 

m2
Platinum Member

Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2004 8:06:01 AM
Britboy-you work alone-who do you have do your hair?

coloru2
Silver Member

Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2004 10:39:58 AM
If we can't find the time to get our hair done, how can we convince our clients that it's important to find the time? No one should be too busy to do their hair on a regular schedule. In "too busy" salons, dedicate a night once a month just for stylists to do their hair. It can be an "education" night if need be, just do it.

CJ

making time
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2004 2:56:57 PM
I agree, time needs to be made. I feel a frump, but with working 3 nights a week til 9 or later (starting at 8:30 AM) and Curling (the sport, not hair ;) ) the other 2 nights......

Well, looks like it's time to book an appointment and block off a couple of hours out of my book.

LOL I did have a woman say to me ""you can tell a hairdresser is good by her own hair; if it's always "done" she has too much time, and if it's always "needing doing" she's busy, so she must be good"" ;-) ;-) :-)

Please note that my tongue is firmly planted in my cheek. I've cut and coloured my own hair before, but I really hate doing foils on myself.

Basically, to the original poster, it amounts to getting what you want. If you can't get that where you're working, you need to ask yourself and your co-workers "why"? Is it because you're picky? Is it because what you want won't work on your hair? Is it because of pettyness on their part? (I sure hope not, that's terribly unprofessional) Is it because they just aren't up on the latest, or that they don't really know the classic basics?
It might open up some much-needed dialogue, and if they can't honestly give you what you're wanting, you might want to consider changing locales.

After all, we should all be comfortable with our colleagues' abilities, as they should be with our own.

cricket

Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2004 6:01:31 PM

CJ,

I am very picky about my hair. Just for the fact that it is very fine and if its not cut the right way then I cant do anything with it. Like I posted the first time the girl that did my hair is very good. But its just hit or miss with my hair. One time she will do an excellent job and the next time isnt so great. I know that everyone has bad days though it just sucks when the bad day is the day I get my hair done. I have even tried explaining the exact way that I want it done but I might not be doing a good job explaining. And also like I posted I want to be able to enjoy the experience of getting my hair done. I always feel bad if our shop gets really busy and I'm taking up time that she could be making money so I can get my hair done.

Thank you all for your advice!!!

coloru2
Silver Member

Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2004 8:47:28 PM
WOW, if you're that picky and get upset when someone who is cutting your hair for free messes it up, wait and see how you feel when you have to pay for it and they mess it up!!! I totally understand how you feel. I have thin straight hair too, and have always had trouble finding a good cut. But, I will go to everyone at the salon I work at, although I do have a favorite. I'm not always thrilled, but I've learned to accept the fact that I just have to work harder at my hair than most people, and it's not the cut, it's my crappy hair.

CJ

Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2004 11:23:09 PM
Yep, fine and lank here as well. I know the feeling.

Actually I hate getting my hair done, as I know what I would "do" to it to get it the way I want, but of course, getting someone else to do that, without coming across as a total beeyotch and know-it-all is really hard.

Relax? Yes. I learned long ago that what I want isn't always possible. I get a decent (not always great, but a cut that isn't "perfect" but "works" is a GREAT cut. Rather than a technically perfect cut that doesn't "work" with my bumfluff), workable cut, that I can manage to do a few different ways, and look pretty snazzy in 10 mins or less. (hairwise that is)

That's just our hair. We work with what we've got, right?
http://www.skwij.ca >>-))o>